Recently I've noticed I'll be in the middle of the call with the in call volume on max (which is very much needed on this phone...I don't have hearing problems ). Then every now and then the volume drops to 1/3 of maximum and I have to hold the volume up to bring it back to max.

Is this a known issue (I've only seen references to ringing volume changing erratically, not in call volume) and is there any known fixes?

My phone is rooted, but with stock ROM.

Thanks
    10-13-2014 04:14 PM
    There was an issue with sound fluctuations while in call but none of them actually involved the volume slider. I mean it wasn't that the volume was going down per say it was just that the caller seemed to fade in and out. My guess is it could be the way you are holding the phone. I've found that the vol rocker is kind of sensitive on this device. I'm constantly touching it and either blasting the vol or killing it depending on what I'm doing, but you're right I haven't seen many posts about the actual volume jumping in call.
    10-14-2014 07:44 AM
    I do have an Otter Box on it so maybe the rubber part of the case is pressing on the volume button. Though the odd thing is, it goes from Max -> 1/3*Max every time, as opposed to something more randomized (in the event it was just the fact that the volume button(s) were hyper sensitive.
    10-14-2014 11:47 AM
    I agree it is odd but I can't think of anything that would cause such an event. If it had something to do with calls, something that happens only when making a call, you can do two tests to prove or disprove it. Make a call on speaker phone and watch the volume for changes, chances are if it changes it'll pop up. Do the same with a regular call. It would work best if you just call someone or something that you don't really have to talk to so you can watch. If the volume changes while sitting untouched on a table we'll go from there.

I just thought of something else, I don't think the phone will allow you to turn the volume all way down while a call. Thus your 1/3. I bet...

Posted via Android Central App
    10-14-2014 07:39 PM
    Just tried it and you can't turn the phone down all the way while on a call. Mine stopped at under a 1/4, even holding it.

10-14-2014 07:48 PM
    Just tried it and you can't turn the phone down all the way while on a call. Mine stopped at under a 1/4, even holding it.
    I have the same problem except the call recording drops between 3 and 5 seconds, and it happens with my hand nowhere near the volume control. The volume drop seems to be more like 10 to 15 percent, and it affects the recording itself. It's as if the mic gain was chopped. This renders the recordings useless to me because they are inaudible.

I would welcome a solution.
    12-21-2014 02:23 PM
    I have the same problem except the call recording drops between 3 and 5 seconds, and it happens with my hand nowhere near the volume control. The volume drop seems to be more like 10 to 15 percent, and it affects the recording itself. It's as if the mic gain was chopped. This renders the recordings useless to me because they are inaudible.

I would welcome a solution.
    I should have mentioned that I have a ZTE Awe which is the same as the N800. Once the gain drops it doesn't go back up, and since it's in the recording, the recording is useless.
    12-21-2014 02:59 PM
    I should have mentioned that I have a ZTE Awe which is the same as the N800. Once the gain drops it doesn't go back up, and since it's in the recording, the recording is useless.
    I wonder if this is related to an update? The reason I mention this is because when the M7 first came out the sound was during playback was really loud. Then there were reports that speakers were blowing, in reality this was more due to debris caught under the speaker grill but anyway, so when they put out a patch they reduced the max volume. Some users reported after this that their sound would start off at high levels and fade within a few seconds. It was as if the patch took but didn't take at the same time. Many thought there was an issue with their device because of this behavior when if fact it was just a buggy update.
    12-22-2014 07:10 AM