Every time I try to open the camera on my phone, a brief black screen appears and the app fails to open. Any other apps related to my camera (Snapchat, Facebook, etc.) experience the same issue. I have cleared data/caches, I have restarted my phone in safety mode, I've tried removing the SIM card -- all to no avail.

This is what comes up when it crashes: Why is my HTC One M7 crashing upon trying to open the camera app?-screenshot_2015-01-18-11-44-02.jpg

I literally just got this phone after I had to send in my previous HTC One which was exhibiting a different slew of problems (purple haze and being perpetually "awake"). Needless to say, I'm very frustrated. Can you all think of anything else I should try before having to send in a second phone in two weeks?

Additionally, when I reboot my phone, I get a distorted version of my home screen that looks like this: Why is my HTC One M7 crashing upon trying to open the camera app?-screenshot_2015-01-18-11-22-48.jpg

I have no idea if that's related to my camera issue, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Thanks for any help you can give!
    01-18-2015 12:07 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have any flashlight apps installed? They can sometimes cause the camera to malfunction, since the LED flash is part of the camera. Also, try booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6526
    01-18-2015 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

I do not have any flashlight apps installed, and I just wiped the cache partition. Unfortunately, my camera still crashes. Is there anything else worth trying?
    01-19-2015 06:27 PM
    How about booting into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps? If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then something you installed is interfering. If the problem persists, then there may be something wrong with the firmware or the hardware. The next step would then be a factory reset (which, of course, means you have to backup or sync all of your data first). If that doesn't help, then you may have to bring the phone to a repair shop or HTC service center.

Steps for Safe Mode are here at the bottom: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6526
    01-19-2015 09:38 PM
    Even I'm facing the similar issue with my HTC m8 eye camera. Did hard reset twice.Even taken it to HTC service center but they couldn't find a solution for this. Hope you can help me

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-20-2015 01:37 AM
    Even I'm facing the similar issue with my HTC m8 eye camera. Did hard reset twice.Even taken it to HTC service center but they couldn't find a solution for this. Hope you can help me..

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-20-2015 01:41 AM
    I realize this is an old thread, I spend three weeks searching for a fix to this issue. It was very frustrating.

It was pretty simple, open App settings, find Camera under all. Then do Force stop, then Clear data. Open the camera again and it works.
    11-17-2016 04:06 PM