What does my HTC One M7 just shut off at 20?

A

AC Question

HTC One M7 just shuts off at ~20%

For the last few weeks, my phone has been shutting off at about 20%. When I turn it back on, it says that there's absolutely no battery left. It's not rooted or anything. I did a hard reset on it last week, but that only helped for a few days. I've had the phone for a year and a half (actually, even when it was new, it never had the battery life it was supposed to have). What should I do? Resetting every couple of weeks does not sound fun. If I root my phone, will I have more options?

JamesyInk

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC One M7 just shuts off at ~20%

I've had that exact problem with my older Droid phone. I can't say it's the same thing because it's a different phone but it's the same company, HTC. My battery got worse and just died one day that it couldn't go without being plugged in. I needed a new battery. Take it in to a store because your battery is probably done with life itself.

CaptainJack19

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

Have the same problem,but it's not happening every time. Usually when I use the phone heavily for a longer time, hearts up and turns off from 20 - ish %. Started after the lollipop update, I cleared the cache, didn't help. Then did battery calibration, which helped at first but after a week it happened again. Kind of think it's a software issue, lollipop made the phone less stable, and at least for me, caused issues like this one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) Dropping the battery to 20% regularly will give you about 6-12 months of life. If you got 18 months doing that, you're lucky.

2) NEVER (unless your life depends on it) let the battery drop below 40%. (Okay, not "never", but not more than a few times a year.) If you need more life than the battery can give you, carry a battery pack with you, or buy a phone that has a removable battery and carry a spare. Charging at the 50% point gives you the longest life. 40% doesn't drop that much. 20% drops the life to less than 500 charge cycles on most batteries. Dropping it to 0%? (It's actully not 0%. If it were, there would be no reading because the phone wouldn't turn on because the connection from the battery to the terminals on the case depends on there being some charge left in the battery - once it disconnects it becomes scrap, not a battery - there's no way to make it connect again. They do that because trying to charge a totally dead lithium battery can result in a pretty bad explosion.) That will give you less than 100 charges. That's about 3-4 months before you need a new battery. If the phone had a removable battery it wouldn't be so bad, but having to pay labor every few months can get expensive.

Tomas G

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

This is nonsense, there is nothing wrong with "using up" the battery charge.

The problem with 20% is that as the battery ages, it will lose voltage faster, and the measuring circuits in the phone get confused. The % reading is more or less a voltage reading after all.

Posted via the Android Central App