I read a thread the other night on using a toothbrush to clean out dust from the speaker grille on the M7, and tried it with moderate success.

This is actually kinda gross, but....

At work, where I have a 32x microscope at my disposal, I peeped at the little holes in the grille and realized how clogged they were with [yes, gross] all sorts of dust and dead skin from holding the phone up to my head for the past year and a half...

I'm trying to figure out if there's any possible way to thoroughly clean all the waxy buildup in the grille... I took a single bristle off of a medium-hard toothbrush and tried cleaning the holes, but it really only just packs them in there deeper.

I have sort of a crappy microscope camera, but here's a pic of the gunk:

Ever wondered how dirty that M7 BoomSound speaker grille is?-gross-htc-one-speaker-grille.jpg

Any ideas?

Moral of the story - it's not always a good idea to look at things under the microscope sometimes.........
    rozroz likes this.
    07-10-2015 02:45 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I think I see a budding civilization in there ...

Have you tried using a can of compressed air?
    07-10-2015 03:56 PM
    any news? were you able to clean it up somehow?
    07-19-2015 12:53 PM
    I tried taking a bristle off of a medium-hard toothbrush and individually cleaning out the holes... It was extremely time consuming and really only just packed it in there deeper.

Since the buildup is sorta ear-waxy (yeah gross I know), I'm going to take a cue-tip and very lightly apply some rubbing alcohol to the grille. My hope is that it will dry out the waxy-buildup in the grille so I can use some compressed air to blow it out.

Will update whether or not this works... It's seriously going to be so satisfying if it works!
    rozroz likes this.
    07-21-2015 11:06 AM
    the only question is whether it'll improve the sound.
    i feel the volume of my speakers is pretty low.
    but i ain't really convinced it has anything to do with that dirt.
    07-21-2015 12:54 PM