HTC One (M8) car dock?

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 car dock?

I am on the fence in getting this or the new Samsung. I had the original Evo and am still using my Evo 4G LTE two years in.

For both of those phones I have used the Seidio surface cases and recommend them absolutely! I use the SURFACE Holster, I like that it is a nice thin case and you can use it in their car docks as well. So you put it on your belt and then right into the car holder without removing the case etc.. THAT is a MUST for me! Great fit and performance and no I have nothing to do with Seidio except being a fan of their products. i:)i

This is the case I am currently using: SEIDIO | SURFACE Case & Holster Combo for HTC EVO 4G LTE
This is the car dock for it: SEIDIO | Innotraveler Car Kit for HTC EVO 3D

What is cool is that dock works with the non cased phones as well, it has an adapter. So you don' t have to use a case if you don't want. I do as I like to carry it horizontally on my belt.

So if I decide on the M8 or Samsung I am getting the equivalents of these again for sure.
That is *IF* they make a car kit for this one. If not then I may look at other ones.

They are sadly still in development though. SEIDIO | HTC One (M8)

Just trying to give you guys some options.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I liked that Seidio dock. I love there cases too but there not out yet. I like the Active now called Dilex and the surface and my husband likes the whole convert thing with the holster. But for now I am using the ibolt dock that I bought at Sprint for my old HTC One! There's an extra plug to make it auto bring up the car dock app that came with the phone but sometimes mine would bring up my car home ultra too.

I am on the fence in getting this or the new Samsung. I had the original Evo and am still using my Evo 4G LTE two years in.

For both of those phones I have used the Seidio surface cases and recommend them absolutely! I use the SURFACE Holster, I like that it is a nice thin case and you can use it in their car docks as well. So you put it on your belt and then right into the car holder without removing the case etc.. THAT is a MUST for me! Great fit and performance and no I have nothing to do with Seidio except being a fan of their products. i:)i

This is the case I am currently using: SEIDIO | SURFACE Case & Holster Combo for HTC EVO 4G LTE
This is the car dock for it: SEIDIO | Innotraveler Car Kit for HTC EVO 3D

What is cool is that dock works with the non cased phones as well, it has an adapter. So you don' t have to use a case if you don't want. I do as I like to carry it horizontally on my belt.

So if I decide on the M8 or Samsung I am getting the equivalents of these again for sure.
That is *IF* they make a car kit for this one. If not then I may look at other ones.

They are sadly still in development though. SEIDIO | HTC One (M8)

Just trying to give you guys some options.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

I just ordered it from Shop HTC. If you are going to order it, I suggest just doing so before they realize all shipping options are free 😊

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You can order this from Best Buy now as well, and looks like it will be in stock end of next week. Good!

Tasker is also a good app to automate the car dock stuff. Enable BT on dock, launch Pandora when on car BT, etc. Slap it in the dock and drive.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

So I received my official HTC car dock today, it came faster than I thought it would. One issue I've noticed is the phone's display doesn't stay on when using the stock car program, it times out and shut the screen off. I've looked in the settings and see no setting allowing the display to stay on. I thought this was kind of strange, and don't know if it's a software glitch with HTC or my car's 12 volt adapter. I'd be interested in seeing if any of you have the same issue.

With Car home Ultra (my program of choice) the display stays on, and it still launches after connecting to my car's bluetooth. This makes it a non-issue because I'm not using the stock car app, but it's still strange that the display turns off with the default HTC app.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

So I received my official HTC car dock today, it came faster than I thought it would. One issue I've noticed is the phone's display doesn't stay on when using the stock car program, it times out and shut the screen off. I've looked in the settings and see no setting allowing the display to stay on. I thought this was kind of strange, and don't know if it's a software glitch with HTC or my car's 12 volt adapter. I'd be interested in seeing if any of you have the same issue.

With Car home Ultra (my program of choice) the display stays on, and it still launches after connecting to my car's bluetooth. This makes it a non-issue because I'm not using the stock car app, but it's still strange that the display turns off with the default HTC app.

So question about this - does it have an audio out port for connecting a 3.5mm audio cable?

My car doesn't have built-in Bluetooth, I use a Jabra Freeway for phone calls, however I like to stream music and other audio through my car stereo. With my RAZR Maxx Car dock, it had an audio out jack and allowed me this exact functionality - I could be streaming music through my car speakers and when a phone call came in, the music was silenced and the call was routed to my Jabra Freeway.

Right now I don't have dock for my M8 so I plug in my audio cable, and the charging cord but audio will only route through my Freeway unless I start the audio first and THEN plug in the audio cable, and when I do that, phone calls aren't routed to the Jabra, they come through the car speakers unless I unplug the audio cable. Its giant a pain in the ****.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

With the 3.5 opening being in the bottom, this dock covers that up so you can't use it.

jmmymak

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the HTC dock is you can't use the headphone jack with it. You have to have Bluetooth on your sound system..
I like it cause you don't have to keep plugging it in everytime. I like how you slide the phone in but you have to take your case off? Does it not fit with a case on?

Last edited:

barnabyj

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

With the 3.5 opening being in the bottom, this dock covers that up so you can't use it.

Is there enough room where you could drill out a hole for the 3.5 jack in the dock, or would it be too close for the usb cable? Anyway you could take a pic that might show how much room there would be to attempt that type of mod? I would really like a car mount that would open/close my car app, just by taking it out of the mount, vs. having to do a nfc tag like I do with my current phone. It works, but it's not seamless. I still have use a cassette adapter in my car, so a wired option would be nice. I guess I could do something like get the htc bluetooth to aux adapter, a male to male 3.5mm adapter, and frankenstein that to the cassette adapter, but I wonder if that would sound good. I don't have any experience with a bluetooth connection for audio, and I can't imagine it'd be that great of sound quality comparatively to a wired connection.

Thanks!

jmmymak

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I thought of that, too, but it's too close to the USB plug. I've been using a cassette adapter, too. But, today I got a Bluetooth cassette adapter, and it works great...sound is as good as before, and no cables!

Posted via Android Central App

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I don't have any experience with a bluetooth connection for audio, and I can't imagine it'd be that great of sound quality comparatively to a wired connection.
Thanks!

Modern BT connections are indistinguishable quality wise with wired connections. The first gen BT headphones were another matter, but thankfully those days are in the past.

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Do you, by chance, have the AT&T variant of the M8? Rooted or anything?

I got the dock after I rooted/unlocked and installed the Android Revolution HD ROM. At first I was on an international version of the ROM and my car dock never timed out. Then an update came out with an AT&T option. I flashed that, and now I have the timeout issue. I think I'll try the international option again and see what happens.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

barnabyj

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I was looking into the HTC bluetooth stereoclip, as that has the bluetooth aptx codec, to work with the m8. From what I've read, It sounds awesome and would work well. But I don't know if it will send phone calls through it as well. Might end up having to just get a dummy mount/nfc tag combo again for this phone. Even if I was going to use bluetooth, I wouldn't want to use HTC's car app, and I believe that's the only way to get it to auto-sync nicely with the stereoclip. It would be even more cumbersome if I had to turn on an adapter, and try and get it to sync everytime, over just plugging in a wire.

jmmymak

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

I was looking into the HTC bluetooth stereoclip, as that has the bluetooth aptx codec, to work with the m8. From what I've read, It sounds awesome and would work well. But I don't know if it will send phone calls through it as well. Might end up having to just get a dummy mount/nfc tag combo again for this phone. Even if I was going to use bluetooth, I wouldn't want to use HTC's car app, and I believe that's the only way to get it to auto-sync nicely with the stereoclip. It would be even more cumbersome if I had to turn on an adapter, and try and get it to sync everytime, over just plugging in a wire.

It's actually just as easy as plugging the cable into the headphone jack. I'm really happy with the adapter.

Posted via Android Central App

barnabyj

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Well, after some more research, I found a bluetooth adapter that does aptx, and will take phone calls, so I can connect that to my cassette adapter and call it a day. That way I can use the official dock, have it auto-launch car home ultra, and auto-sync to the bluetooth adapter. Has that been the experience thus far with the official mount, and a 3rd party car app?

barnabyj

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Also for those that have the official mount, what is the cable like that comes with it? Is the cable permanently attached to the cigarette charger, or can it be plugged into any charger you chose?

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Also for those that have the official mount, what is the cable like that comes with it? Is the cable permanently attached to the cigarette charger, or can it be plugged into any charger you chose?

It can be plugged into any charger.

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

I've had the Stereoclip for over a year. TBH, I'm not a big fan, but I've made it acceptable by tweaking the EQ. Even though it has aptX, the sound quality isn't that good. Very little bass out of it. I'm currently looking for an alternate solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci