[Guide] How to reboot into Stock Recovery on HTC One M8

Jamister989

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I struggled with this and flashed my M8's recovery several times before I realized what my problem was. For some reason on my recovery, stock 5.0.1 for my converted GPE, the combo to get the menu is HOLD POWER and then TAP VOL UP. So just to be clear, at least for my build, holding VOL up and tapping(or holding) power did nothing. This sounds so simple but it took me a long time to finally throw my hands up and just try a bunch of crap.

Also when I boot into recovery, my screen looks like recovery screen for the Nexus, android with ! and "NO COMMAND." I was finally able to clear my cache, and it would've only taken me a second if I knew what to do.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I struggled with this and flashed my M8's recovery several times before I realized what my problem was. For some reason on my recovery, stock 5.0.1 for my converted GPE, the combo to get the menu is HOLD POWER and then TAP VOL UP. So just to be clear, at least for my build, holding VOL up and tapping(or holding) power did nothing. This sounds so simple but it took me a long time to finally throw my hands up and just try a bunch of crap.

Also when I boot into recovery, my screen looks like recovery screen for the Nexus, android with ! and "NO COMMAND." I was finally able to clear my cache, and it would've only taken me a second if I knew what to do.
Thanks for sharing. The new processes might have happened when the OS changed to Lollipop.

From an AOSP M8

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No luck yet .... even single click of power with Vol-up key pressed (does nothing) ... It stays on Bootloader (Locked) page. My guess is if there is a way a PC will allow the device initiation of HTC USB (in locked state) ... I tried to to check "androidusb.inf" file and my hardware id is present in the code so is there any addition or permission I can do that would allow me the access to HTC device (via USB)?

Push comes to shove, you can send an ADB command to reboot to recovery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It might be Windows. They do have driver signature issues. Windows is starting to not like non MS drivers...at all.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Step 5: Not able to get into Recovery mode .... the bootloop continues as long as the keys (Vol up + Power buttons) are hold

I don't understand why you are holding any buttons down. While in the bootloader and HBoot is highlighted you should have recovery option in the menu. Scroll down to recovery and tap the power button.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Since the option recovery (under hboot menu) was not working ..... I was suggested to use keys (hardware) to force recovery option on the mobile device .... but it didn't work either. I did visit the carrier device support but they were too unable to recover ..... what bugged me is nobody cared to understand the reason for OS update failure (after all its software .... and software can be recovered with a simple format, new OS install, etc techniques) ... it cannot be recovered only when there is a design flaw .... in this particular case the flaw is maintained by carrier to influence sales $$$ The mobile industry is working-out the shift (with apps esp like whatsapp) is where the profit parameters are different and in-order to incorporate today's convenience energy needs to be spent on the infrastructure model ..... hence until carrier service providers try to milk profits from old infrastructure model such design flaws will be common

What carrier are you on ? We can see if there is a RUU available. We can also erase the cache using a fastboot command while in the bootloader. Open a cmd prompt from the folder with adb/fastboot and with the phone in the bootloader and fastboot usb mode type this cmd

fastboot erase cache

alexzgr

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I have the new marshmallow update, when recovery is clicked, it goes straight to a dark screen with the red symbol then reboots to my home screen. Where do I find the wipe cashe partion now?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the new marshmallow update, when recovery is clicked, it goes straight to a dark screen with the red symbol then reboots to my home screen. Where do I find the wipe cashe partion now?

They may have changed the process. I will see what I can find later tonight.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Where would be the latest directions for installing something like Cyanogmod on to my HTC One M8?

Try XDA. You need to unlock the bootloader, get S Off, flash a custom recovery, and then flash the ROM, not necessarily in that order.