Why is my Rooted HTC One M8 continually rebooting automatically?

A

AC Question

I rooted my HTC One M8 (2014, AT&T) a while back, and now it keeps rebooting.
I have the Stock Rom installed, but decided to experiment with rooting my phone (first time). I flashed the TWRP recovery, and have SuperSU installed. I had heard that letting your battery run down to 0% once a month was a good Idea, so I decided to do that. Now when I turn it back on, it boots up, turns on the background stuff, and the reboots about 1 minute after my home screen turns on.

Some leads on the problem:
It is charging normally.

I have installed SuperSU's update from the play store, but when I open it, it says the binary needs to be updated, and prompts me to do that. As I said, this is my first time rooting my phone, so I'm hesitant to do that without reading into it more. I'm not sure if that could be causing a problem or not.

I've installed GSam Battery, and it's "Root Companion," though when I tried to give privileges to the root companion, it would restart my phone. So I stopped using that, and uninstalled the root companion from my phone, but left GSam on. In the minute or so that I've had to fiddle with the phone, I have uninstalled GSam as well.

I've also installed XBMC a couple days ago. Not sure if that is a problem either.

Also, when I boot my phone in recovery, it does not reboot automatically, until I reboot into the system. Leading my to further believe that the battery is not the problem.

What limited knowledge I have about these things leads me to believe that some process is starting up automatically and crashing my phone. If anyone has any ideas about what I can do to bring my phone back to life, I would be eternally grateful :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help! Rooted HTC One M8 keeps rebooting automatically

Since you have access to recovery you should be able to fix the problem by doing a factory reset and rebooting. Let us know how that goes for you and if you need further help.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

m0dredus

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Will factory Reset interfere with TWRP?

Are the steps to do a reset:
Volume down and power
Volume down until highlighting Factory Reset
Power button?

Or do I need to go into TWRP and select something from there?

PS. As I said, I'm VERY new to this world of rooting and whatnot, and don't want to make some stupid and easily avoidable mistake

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Will factory Reset interfere with TWRP?

Are the steps to do a reset:
Volume down and power
Volume down until highlighting Factory Reset
Power button?

Or do I need to go into TWRP and select something from there?

PS. As I said, I'm VERY new to this world of rooting and whatnot, and don't want to make some stupid and easily avoidable mistake
No, factory reset will not interfere with TWRP. You will, however, loose your data (except what's stored on the SD card). Now that I think about it, try clearing cache first then reset if that doesn't work. And yes, your method is right.

Let us know how it goes.

m0dredus

May 12, 2014
Visit site

I was talking to a friend of mine who is also familiar with Phone troubleshooting. He just had me flash SuperSU.zip again using TWRP. Seems to have worked like a charm! thank you for your feedback though!

Jordar

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

This happened to me last night. Exact same setup, rooted, TWRP, etc. Phone rebooted approximately a minute after start up. Your solution also worked for me. Allowed SuperSU to boot into TWRP and flashed there and everything was golden.

Thanks!::D

Nick Bruton

May 27, 2014
Visit site

I am having a similar problem, phone keeps rebooting, power button only sometimes powers down phone, its a rooted phone with TWRP can someone give an idiots guide of things to try.
Many thanks Nick

Nick Bruton

May 27, 2014
Visit site

Also seem to not have SuperSU installed anymore, although the icon is still on the phone

Nick Bruton

May 27, 2014
Visit site

The crashing is pretty much definately SuperSU, if it stays up long enough I can force stop SuperSU and it stays up ok
Should I either
Uninstall the last SuperSu update?
Re-install SuperSU?
or change to superuser?

3165dwayne

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

If no one has figured this problem out yet it seems to be caused by root access. to fix the problem you open up super su and it will detect then problem and fix it itself through twrp. edit: didnt see the bottom of the page for some reason XD the problem was already solved

Nicholas Harvey

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Had the same issue. What fixed it for me was un-hiding the SuperSU app and then opening it. It wanted to update, it did through TWRP, then all is good.

Redhelmet8

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

I just fixed my HTC One by also flashing SuperSU via TWRP. This has been PMO as I just got a new HTC One, and wanted to root it, after soft-bricking my other one and was unable to find the correct RUU. I had rooted my previous One with no problems the exact same way I rooted my new One. I believe that the problem has to do with the new software update from HTC causing problems with SuperSU's program. I just had to go to the SuperSU Download page to find the SuperSU zip file, downloaded it to my computer, moved it to my phone's internal storage, went into TWRP, and flashed the .zip file. Thanks for the help everyone.

antmit

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi Guys

Long time iPhone user (since 2008 up to and including the present day) but recently a convert to the LG G3 and shortly thereafter the HTC One M8. I found the G3 a fantastic phone and amazing camera, but just that little too large and the interface too childish.

I rooted my M8 last night and this morning was plagued with the repeated crashes, and so I turned here for help. I can confirm that going into SuperSU and allowing it to update via TWRP seems to have fixed it. I'm just waiting on the phone returning to ART before breathing a sigh of relief, but just wanted to say thanks to those who contributed on this thread!

Thanks
Ant