Just bought my M8 and immediately ran into the Kitkat microSD problem, so I rooted it. So far I have eliminated some of the problems, but there are many other apps that say they cannot do certain things (like downloading from Box to my external microSD card). I know Google is trying to control where data is stored, but is there an app out there than can override these permissions? I saw a number of apps on the Play store like App Ops, but it doesn't work on my phone. And as a side note, SuperSU did not pop up for things like the Box app when I tried to download.
    09-10-2014 12:20 PM
    Are you sure these are not just hardware or software limitations and not permission issues? If SuperSU is not popping up for all root requests at least once you might not have full root access.
    09-10-2014 12:26 PM
    I am fairly certain I have full root access as I can mount R/W in Root Explorer and I also ran a root check. These are specific functions that used to work great in pre-Kitkat days and now I am getting errors/warnings saying I can't do things. It may be that Box is expected to only work with specific folders and trying to download to my external card's Music folder is not allowed. I know there is a way to override these permissions, but it seems to require some sort of hack.
    09-10-2014 12:57 PM
    I still think your dealing with limitations in KitKat. It doesn't support many SD card functions as in it literally can't do it even with root and the permission to do so. You don't really need a hack just an app with the ability to do it. I use Xplore to copy directly to my SD cards on my TF-101 all the time from cloud sources.
    09-10-2014 01:03 PM
    Thanks. Will check that app. I use ES File Explorer mostly.
    09-10-2014 01:26 PM
    Haven't had any luck trying to fix this issue. ES File Explorer has full root permissions, but others do not. I cannot even save a screenshot! And QuickPic is useless now. I tried editing the platform.xml file to add media_rw for external storage, but it did not take, even when mounting R/W. Seems like some people have had luck fixing this with s-off, but I am not sure I want to do that. This really stinks!
    09-12-2014 08:35 AM
    Haven't had any luck trying to fix this issue. ES File Explorer has full root permissions, but others do not. I cannot even save a screenshot! And QuickPic is useless now. I tried editing the platform.xml file to add media_rw for external storage, but it did not take, even when mounting R/W. Seems like some people have had luck fixing this with s-off, but I am not sure I want to do that. This really stinks!
    what rom are you using? If you are using jst the stock rooted its a write protection issue with the kernel. You can go s-off, Flash a insecure boot img. Or flash a stock rooted rom with a insecure boot img
    09-12-2014 10:22 AM
    Am using stock. Will need to do research on what you are mentioning above. I was going to try a custom ROM such as Cynanogenmod because I read that it fixes this issue.
    09-12-2014 11:31 AM