Titanium backup or regular backup through recovery?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes. That will be the complete package(system data, app data and all). Titanium it's more for if you just want to keep your app data on sd. Now if you're switching roms, go titanium, then move the folder to the sd

Posted via Android Central App

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes. That will be the complete package(system data, app data and all). Titanium it's more for if you just want to keep your app data on sd. Now if you're switching roms, go titanium, then move the folder to the sd

Yeah that makes sense. I will use nandroid backup when I want to stay on arhd and I will use titanium when I want to switch to different rom like gpe. Which backup should I use when I update android to android L?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
ARHD, if I'm not mistaken pushes out OTAs of its own zip you should not have to do anything except for make a new nand backup after the update is complete.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Titanium is more flexible because you can always restore apps and data across different ROMs, whereas a Nandroid Backup is only good if you want to restore EVERYTHING (including system).

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
No OTA for ARHD. Every release is a whole rom download

My M8 posted this

I stand corrected. Never tried ARHD. Only venom, and they had OTAs. After being on stock developer edition software/firmware, I don't think I'll ever flash again....there's always that maybe though.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes. If there is no ota option then it will wipe everything. I don't understand the whole OTA implementation of stock roms, but it seems to me that if the venom team can do it, Why hasn't the ARHD team done it?

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I stand corrected. Never tried ARHD. Only venom, and they had OTAs. After being on stock developer edition software/firmware, I don't think I'll ever flash again....there's always that maybe though.

Yeah, it's my only problem with ARHD. I liked MaximusHD because of the OTA support but the dev only does it as a hobby, so his updates lagged behind other roms.

Viper was too far from stock for my liking

My M8 posted this

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I usually keep a nandroid backup handy (no apps or anything installed, like you got it fresh out of the box) as well as a flashable zip file of my titanium backups . I didn't even know you could flash your Titanium backed up apps in recovery until recently.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Going from rom to rom you want to wipe. some roms are built off of different base and that can and will cause issues.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I usually keep a nandroid backup handy (no apps or anything installed, like you got it fresh out of the box) as well as a flashable zip file of my titanium backups . I didn't even know you could flash your Titanium backed up apps in recovery until recently.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. would you be able to tell me how you compress the back up into a flashable zip file?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So if I make a backup from a different rom and install the backup on a different rom that will cause issues?

If you use Titanium Backup and restore data on a ROM that has different firmware, there will be problems like FC errors. However, restoring user apps and such will be fine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18