my htc one m8 is stuck in boot loop!

ocea3

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
i have an htc one m8 and it is rooted, after a couple months of using it, i turned it off and now everytime i turn it off it gets stuck in a boot loop. to fix it i have to factory reset it everytime i turn off the phone. please help!

ocea3

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
my software version is 1.12.651.17, i am running the stock rom it can with and have not applied the update. yesterday i turned it off and on , and it got stuck in a boot loop again. when it turns back on it stays on for about a minute then crashes. by some miracle during one of the boot loops the app "smith" popped up saying that the system recovered from an abnormal reset, so i turned on the logs of the "smith" app, just to see if that would help w the boot loop. and it stayed on that time. i have not turned it off again for fear it will boot loop again. but this morining i looked at my phone and its saying that it is no longer rooted. so im very confused.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
my software version is 1.12.651.17, i am running the stock rom it can with and have not applied the update. yesterday i turned it off and on , and it got stuck in a boot loop again. when it turns back on it stays on for about a minute then crashes. by some miracle during one of the boot loops the app "smith" popped up saying that the system recovered from an abnormal reset, so i turned on the logs of the "smith" app, just to see if that would help w the boot loop. and it stayed on that time. i have not turned it off again for fear it will boot loop again. but this morining i looked at my phone and its saying that it is no longer rooted. so im very confused.
That smith app is a logging app and i seen many reort that they were getting notification that it was about to expire. Why havn't you updated? If i were you i would s-off the bootloader first then update your firmware and software. If you have a custom recovery which im sure you do, reflash supersu in recovery and install busybox from the playstore and see if that helps.

SuperSU-v2.02.zip

BusyBox

ocea3

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
i used the root method from theandroidsoul.com
when i rooted it i had trouble installing the superuser, and it kept saying the superuser needed to be updated or something, so i just messed around and it finally said it was rooted. i havent applied the update yet cuz i read somewhere that u r not supposed to apply the system update when u r rooted cuz it will cause problems, is that true? also i did try doing the update once it started acting up to see if it would fix it but it gets stuck in twrp, and my twrp doesnt work right either. it gliches when i try to do things, like every time i try to do a nanoid backup it just doesnt work.

Last edited:

ocea3

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
so if i used the wrong root method, should unroot n root again? or can i just reflash superuser in recovery? i want to s-off but im worried if its rooted wrong it might make matters worse. i have rooted samsungs in the past but this is my first htc, so alot of this is new to me.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
so if i used the wrong root method, should unroot n root again? or can i just reflash superuser in recovery? i want to s-off but im worried if its rooted wrong it might make matters worse. i have rooted samsungs in the past but this is my first htc, so alot of this is new to me.

Reflash recovery and su and you should be fine

ocea3

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
now that my phone is working i need to update OTA, but everytime i try to update it goes into twrp n stops. so i think i need to reflash stock recovery, i looked for it on xda n couldn't find it. maybe im looking in the wrong place. my software version is 1.12.651.17

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
What carrier? Now that you are s-off you can flash just the firmware which is included in the OTA. Let me know what carrier and i can point you in the right direction

ocea3

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
so i flashed the RUU, n it wiped my phone, which i wasnt expecting, but i should have known better. anyway now my phone isnt rooted anymore so i will just reflash it in recovery, but was that supposed to happen?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes using the RUU wipes the phone and returns you back to factory stock. Thats why i said to flash the firmware.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR