Unable to unlock bootloader?

Kittycatpenut

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I got a m8 a couple days ago after switching to T-mobile and I would really like to unlock/root/mod it. I've rooted other phones before and haven't had this much trouble with them.
I get through all of the steps, run fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin which runs fine (gives option to unlock or not, I select yes with the power button) and reboots the phone. The phone is wiped as it's supposed to be, and I turn off the fast boot and turn on usb debugging in the options after the basic set up. When I boot it into fastboot to install the recovery, it still says *** LOCKED *** at the top of the screen, and I get this when I try to install it

XXX-Inspiron-N5010:~/Downloads/fastboot$ sudo fastboot flash recovery Recovery.img
[sudo] password for XXX:
target reported max download size of 1830608896 bytes
sending 'recovery' (14818 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.635s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 2.169s

I've tried this on two different computers and with different recovery files, one running Windows 8 and the other Ubuntu five times and I can't find anyone else that has had the same problem. I would appreciate any help with this as it's getting extremely frustrating

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am relatively weak with rooting HTC devices, but did you use a method for your version of Android and carrier?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I was a M7 user for two years and then jumped to the M8 and I have never encountered or even seen such a problem before, it is rather weird. I looked at this thread in which the OP has a similar problem to yours and he ended up bricking his device, so I think you'd be better off holding out and then contacting HTC about it if you really want to root it. It also seems like it is a hardware issue with the mainboard which requires replacement in order for the bootloader to be unlocked.

The most basic thing you can try right now is using a different cable if you haven't already and trying one more time.

Kittycatpenut

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The especially weird thing about it is that I don't get any sort of error message on the phone or computer. It reboots after I select that I want it unlocked, and my device is wiped, but it isn't unlocked. I've tried three different cables (the one that came with it, a cable from the T-Mobile store,and my ps4 controller cable) with the same results.
I would try it again but I'm tired of re-customizing my phone. I guess I'll just stick with stock for now :(

Posted via the Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. that's your only option for now I guess. Think about contacting HTC since it seems like they owe you a mainboard. Granted, unlocking the bootloader voids warranty, but at least they owe you an unlockable one just like the rest of us!

paschall

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Google sunshine unlock works perfectly. It's a small cost of $25.00 but I'm on Verizon HTC one m8 unlocked and s-off. And completely stable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692