There seems to be so many ways to go about rooting your phone, from which method used, to the ROM you use, etc. However, after some cursory research, I haven't been able to find what I want all in one spot, which is this:

I want to essentially keep the phone the same, meaning I don't need any fancy custom ROM or anything like that. I want the device to look and behave as much like the stock phone that I just got (on the surface, at least). I just want root access to be able to do things I currently cant, such as enable wi-fi tethering, certain interface apps (like hiding the soft key bar and such)...mostly under the hood stuff.

I've found several walkthroughs, but they all talk about flashing a custom ROM, when I essentially want to keep it as is, just with root access.

What would be the best solution for one such as myself? Thanks in advance!

PS: Weaksauce looked so promising, but it only works for Verizon.
    10-31-2014 01:55 PM
    First you need to unlock the bootloader....Welcome to HTCdev
    Then install TWRP recovery....Techerrata Downloads - Browsing m8_whl
    Then flash the Supersu zip in recoery.....SuperSU Download
    And last install busybox from the playstore
    10-31-2014 02:15 PM
    I can't seem to get it to work. I found this all in one thing that seems to cover all the steps you mentioned. Everything was flashed as expected, but none of the apps I download that require root access work. I'm not even sure how to tell if it worked other than that.
    10-31-2014 09:43 PM
    I can't seem to get it to work. I found this all in one thing that seems to cover all the steps you mentioned. Everything was flashed as expected, but none of the apps I download that require root access work. I'm not even sure how to tell if it worked other than that.
    I would download and flash the SuperSU zip in recovery, like benny3 suggested. That usually fixes root issues.
    benny3 likes this.
    11-07-2014 11:58 AM