Is the phone I bought unlocked?

Hendrycks

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey, so I was an iPhone user for forever and switched to Android by getting an HTC One M8 a few months ago - best decision ever!

I paid $700 flat out for the M8 at Telus as I didn't want to cancel my contract. I've never done this so I assumed that if you pay for the out of contract price you're getting an unlocked phone? The problem now is that supposedly all unlocked and dev M8's are now getting Lollipop since a few days ago but my phone still says that there's no update? My phone is S-Off and I did have it as a GPE a few weeks ago but didn't like it so I switched it back. If there's any way I can unlock it myself so that I get the Lollipop update now that'd be great!

Any help would be appreciated - I'm very skeptical that I have a Telus locked phone because the HID is Telus_001..

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Locked refers to your ability to take it to a different carrier without issue. Given that you bought it at Telus, it is almost certainly locked. That said, since you paid for it outright, they would probably unlock it if you asked. If you are not leaving Telus, that is irrelevant however.

If you are already S-Off, you could run the RUU for either the GPE lollipop, or the new Sense lollipop that just came out. I have not actually seen the RUU posted for the new Sense build, but there are custom ROMs using it for a base already out there. I do see RUU for unlocked/developer phones that have posts talking about loading those, then getting the OTA update, but I have no experience going that route.

One (M8) Android Development - XDA Forums

Since you are Soff, you could flash a custom recovery and then the ROM of your choice. There are a couple already based off the lollipop sense.

EDIT- Here is the Developer thread with RUU
http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development/ruu-m8-developer-edition-sense-1-54-t2884777

I would skip to the end, and read backwards a few pages. I think there are a few people doing what you want to do, should give you a better idea. Sounds like you would load the latest RUU in that thread, and then get the OTA to go to lollipop.

Last edited:

Hendrycks

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I understood what an unlocked phone meant but I was asking to see I wasn't getting the update straight from HTC. On the thread it talks mainly about US carriers - do Canadian carriers/phones work the same way? In otherwords is there a risk that I'll soft brick my phone?

EDIT: I got it all to work, at the end of the OP it says to switch you CID from the super CID - does it really matter if I just leave it as 11111?

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I understood what an unlocked phone meant but I was asking to see I wasn't getting the update straight from HTC. On the thread it talks mainly about US carriers - do Canadian carriers/phones work the same way? In otherwords is there a risk that I'll soft brick my phone?

EDIT: I got it all to work, at the end of the OP it says to switch you CID from the super CID - does it really matter if I just leave it as 11111?

No its fine leaving it supercid it wont hurt anything