SIM Unlocked

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
This might be a dumb question but I'm really not sure.

I converted my at&t branded M8 to the Brightstar unlocked m8 sold directly from HTC. I'm currently S-OFF and bootloader unlocked running Official Firmware. Does that also mean I'm SIM Unlocked or did that carry over from it being at&t Branded?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you unlock the SIM lock, it remains unlocked, regardless of the firmware. (The locking isn't done in the firmware.)

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If you unlock the SIM lock, it remains unlocked, regardless of the firmware. (The locking isn't done in the firmware.)

The phone was sim locked before I converted. So it's still SIM locked? Would I need to convert it back to at&t firmware to SIM unlock?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. You just need to call and beg ATT to unlock it... which they only have to do if you are not on contract with them. Supposedly they HAVE to do it now (law), but I still hear stories that they can be dicks about it.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. You just need to call and beg ATT to unlock it... which they only have to do if you are not on contract with them. Supposedly they HAVE to do it now (law), but I still hear stories that they can be dicks about it.

Already done that and got the code. No Hassle at all from at&t. What i find irritating though is that I have to find a sim from another network and insert it in my phone before it prompts me for the unlock code.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Already done that and got the code. No Hassle at all from at&t. What i find irritating though is that I have to find a sim from another network and insert it in my phone before it prompts me for the unlock code.

Yeah you will need a sim card for the carrier you are going to be on

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you will need a sim card for the carrier you are going to be on

I borrowed a net10 T-mobile SIM and it asked for the unlock code. I was worried running a different ROM would break it.

Wish HTC Sim unlock worked differently though. My old Nokia asked for the unlock code after simply entering a *# code. It did not require me to actually remove my att sim and insert a foreign one.

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlock code and used it once with a T Mobile sim which worked fine. But after leaving ATT to try out their service at t mobile, I was not happy with it and went back to ATT and used the original sim that came with the phone before I left. Does this cause the phone to lock again and if so can I reuse the unlock code again on that phone when I buy a new one to replace it? Sorry to be a little off topic but this is the closest I have found to a post that could answer the question. Thanks for any help fella's in advance

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlock code and used it once with a T Mobile sim which worked fine. But after leaving ATT to try out their service at t mobile, I was not happy with it and went back to ATT and used the original sim that came with the phone before I left. Does this cause the phone to lock again and if so can I reuse the unlock code again on that phone when I buy a new one to replace it? Sorry to be a little off topic but this is the closest I have found to a post that could answer the question. Thanks for any help fella's in advance

You should be good

Aseel Obeidat

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
My mobile htc one M8 has a sim card from unkown source . And i have a problems about it how can i detect it ?? Am from jordan and i get the mobile from USA :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc