Will any root method that I find work on lollipop as well? Might be a dumb question but I'm very new to rooting and all that.

Please provide a link to somewhere that can guide me through the process. Thanks.

Sprint HTC One M8
    03-30-2015 08:15 PM
    Will any root method that I find work on lollipop as well? Might be a dumb question but I'm very new to rooting and all that.

Please provide a link to somewhere that can guide me through the process. Thanks.

Sprint HTC One M8
    Here is the WinDroid Universal Root Kit for your phone.

[TOOL] WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit v2… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
    NickPorter likes this.
    03-31-2015 06:41 AM
    Hi Nick,

the link posted above is a great place to start with rooting.

But first, let me ask you a question: why do you want to root your device? What do you want to do that rooting will allow? Do you just want to play around with it? Do you want to remove the bloat from your phone that your carrier put on there? Do you want to try different ROMs?

The reason I ask is because if you only want to remove bloat, rooting is the way to go. But if you want to make it easy to switch ROMs or play around and try new things, you may want to step up and go S-OFF, which completely unlocks your phone's boot-up and gives you full control. But this is not something to do on a whim, so think about it carefully
    03-31-2015 09:22 AM
    Hi Nick,

the link posted above is a great place to start with rooting.

But first, let me ask you a question: why do you want to root your device? What do you want to do that rooting will allow? Do you just want to play around with it? Do you want to remove the bloat from your phone that your carrier put on there? Do you want to try different ROMs?

The reason I ask is because if you only want to remove bloat, rooting is the way to go. But if you want to make it easy to switch ROMs or play around and try new things, you may want to step up and go S-OFF, which completely unlocks your phone's boot-up and gives you full control. But this is not something to do on a whim, so think about it carefully
    Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about rooting for awhile now. Main reason would probably be that I wanted to try a new ROM that would help with battery life. I've heard good things about CM12. That would probably be the first ROM I'd try. I also would love to be able to use my phone as a WiFi tether as I have an unlimited data plan. Removing bloat isn't the most important thing to me but I know I would enjoy that very much.

Is going S-off completely necessary to flash a new ROM? Is it worth the extra hassle if that's all I'm gonna be doing?
    03-31-2015 03:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about rooting for awhile now. Main reason would probably be that I wanted to try a new ROM that would help with battery life. I've heard good things about CM12. That would probably be the first ROM I'd try. I also would love to be able to use my phone as a WiFi tether as I have an unlimited data plan. Removing bloat isn't the most important thing to me but I know I would enjoy that very much.

Is going S-off completely necessary to flash a new ROM? Is it worth the extra hassle if that's all I'm gonna be doing?
    Well, that's for you to decide. The easiest way to gain S-OFF is to use Sunshine, which costs $25 but I honestly have not heard bad things about it. It worked beautifully for me and was very very quick - just a few minutes, in fact. It also rooted the phone for me, so I didn't have to worry about that.

I was playing around on a GPE/CM12-based ROM for a while, but I ultimately decided that the battery life was not as impressive as I wanted and there were some issues with bluetooth streaming to my car. I waited until ViperOne came out with their Lollipop ROM for and I've been running that ever since. ViperOne has given me so much battery life I don't know what to do with it and is about double the battery life of the CM12 ROM I was running. Plus, I like Sense, and CM12 is not a Sense-based ROM but ViperOne is.

Just my recommendation though. I highly recommend you read up on the topic. For me, switching ROMs is as easy as downloading them and installing them via recovery, which is really, really easy.
    03-31-2015 03:31 PM
    Well, that's for you to decide. The easiest way to gain S-OFF is to use Sunshine, which costs $25 but I honestly have not heard bad things about it. It worked beautifully for me and was very very quick - just a few minutes, in fact. It also rooted the phone for me, so I didn't have to worry about that.

I was playing around on a GPE/CM12-based ROM for a while, but I ultimately decided that the battery life was not as impressive as I wanted and there were some issues with bluetooth streaming to my car. I waited until ViperOne came out with their Lollipop ROM for and I've been running that ever since. ViperOne has given me so much battery life I don't know what to do with it and is about double the battery life of the CM12 ROM I was running. Plus, I like Sense, and CM12 is not a Sense-based ROM but ViperOne is.

Just my recommendation though. I highly recommend you read up on the topic. For me, switching ROMs is as easy as downloading them and installing them via recovery, which is really, really easy.
    So, what you're saying is that if all I'm going to be doing is trying new ROMs then I will be fine with just rooting and not going S-off, correct?
    03-31-2015 04:17 PM
    Since just about any ROM you flash will be rooted (it's the ROM that gets rooted, not the phone), yes. You only root if you want your current ROM to be rooted.
    NickPorter likes this.
    03-31-2015 06:03 PM
    I imagine it's still best to make sure things are backed up prior to performing these operations? I used to use Titanium Backup, is there something better now?
    09-10-2015 01:41 PM