128 GB HTC One M8, the benefits and perils of being superadministrator?

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I have got a 128 GB SD card that I am thinking about using the memory card as internal memory for my HTC One M8, and I have some questions of the pros and cons of being superadministrator.

PROS
1) With the 128 as a simulated internal memory, will my phone be equally fast but only have more internal space available? (Or will the SD Card used as internal storage make apps run significantly slower?)

2) It is possible to get the newest Os whenever one would like. (But are there any issues with downloading an operative system that you do not encounter when unrooted?)

3) The RAM of the M8 is 2 GB, can you simulate RAM when rooted, and if so, how effective is it?

4) You can use apps designed for multi tasking that require root.

Will the backup that comes with HTC Sense work just as well on a rooted phone?

CONS
The warranty will be void.
Phone can become bricked.
Malware can do more damage than before (is this really an issue?)
You cannot just click update on the os the way others do, you have to go to another site.

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I think you need to do a little more research, you're planning things that simply aren't possible

Posted via the Android Central App

When it comes to using the SD card as «internal storage», wouldn't that work?

Asking questions here is a way of doing research. Point 4, split screen multi tasking (like one has on Samsung) is the most important feature.

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I did some research about this when I first bought a SD card and I decided that it was not worth the hassle. For one thing, I have a feeling it would not actually work on the HTC One M8, and for another, I doubt the performance of an external SD would be as good as running a ROM from the internal storage, even with a class 10 SD card.

Since the device's internal storage isn't high, I decided that I should install applications to the External SD card by rooting the device and using certain 3rd party applications to achieve that, but it turned out to be more of a hassle than anything and I stopped doing that.

All in all, I believe an external SD card should just be used to store media, APKs, Nandroid Backups, ROM zip files, and such, but not as a replacement for the internal storage (which I doubt is even possible to begin with).

As for your second point, you seem like the type who likes to take risks and doesn't care about the warranty, so I'd suggest reading some guides on XDA-Developers on rooting, custom ROMs, and such and following that path. I bit that bullet a couple of years ago on the HTC One X and have been doing it ever since - I just cannot go back to stock ROMs after experiencing custom ROMs.

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Since the device's internal storage isn't high, I decided that I should install applications to the External SD card by rooting the device and using certain 3rd party applications to achieve that, but it turned out to be more of a hassle than anything and I stopped doing that.

Is there any special reason for this?

I am planning on using Link2SD to force move all the really large apps to the SD card. If you have reasons why that wouldn't work well, please let me know.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have tried doing that but it didn't work out. One of the reasons is that sometimes when I reboot the device, the apps on the External Storage just appear greyed out and you cannot actually use them until you reboot again or reinsert the SD card, and for another it does not have the ability to move large games with large obb folders to the external SD card which renders it almost useless.

The main reason I wanted to use such applications is so I can move my games to the External SD card since the obb folders are huge in size (1 GB minimum) but I have yet to figure out a way to do that.

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I have tried doing that but it didn't work out. One of the reasons is that sometimes when I reboot the device, the apps on the External Storage just appear greyed out and you cannot actually use them until you reboot again or reinsert the SD card, and for another it does not have the ability to move large games with large obb folders to the external SD card which renders it almost useless.

The main reason I wanted to use such applications is so I can move my games to the External SD card since the obb folders are huge in size (1 GB minimum) but I have yet to figure out a way to do that.

Have you tried Link2SD plus? I just set that up on my ARHD HTC One M8 now, using a SanDisk 128 GB with 70 % on FAT32 and 30 % on EXT4 for apps.