Howdy.

So, I have an HTC One M8. I have rooted it, and currently have MaximusHD 11.0.0 on it. I kinda like the uFocus feature of the Sense 6 UI, and that's perhaps the only reason I've stuck with a Sense-based ROM. When I bought my m8, I could only get hold of the 16gb version. I'm kinda regretting that now, as it seems that this really limits the number of apps that can be installed onto the phone.

My wife has a Moto G, a first gen Moto G. It has 8gb of internal memory. We both have SD cards, and use them to store all the content we can on them (music, photos, apps that can be moved to the SD card, and so on). However, when we both look at the Settings > Storage on our respective phones, my wife's Moto G have about 1.4GB available, while I have only about 400MB free. And, she has a bunch more apps installed.

I'm a reasonably smart guy; I'm not averse to rooting my HTC One m8, and messing about with adb and so on. But, I am pretty confused as to why the OS is taking us so much more space on my m8. Is it really that much larger than Moto G's OS? It seems that my OS is taking up 15GB or so, whereas the OS on the Moto G appears to take up 6GB. Is there anything I can do to maximise my available memory? Is there a ROM that makes more memory available? Is there anything in the system partition that I don't need?

Recommendations and advice gladly accepted!

Cheers,
    Jon
    09-08-2015 03:38 AM
    Sorry in advance, as this is not a reply but an expansion on the topic. Great question and one I have been trying to find an answer to. I have HTC One M8 and cannot find a solution to this. I had no space on my 16GB phone, although only around 2GB was accessible to me. After I performed a factory reset on my phone in August around 6GB became available for user files. But that space gradually diminished. Now I am back to 2GB accessible space. 1.5GB of this is in use and only around 0.5GB available. I get low storage notifications all the time. Storage Analyser shows total internal storage as 10.58GB (instead of 16GB) and out of this, it says 8.4GB is android/inaccessible files. Why is this happening? Can someone please help. This does not seem to be such an issue with other makes. Or does it?
    Thanks!
    12-09-2015 11:29 AM
    Your space gradually declines after resetting due to rebuilding of cache files, other temporary files and databases, and possibly you installed some apps or updates.

For a better idea of what's happening, install this simple little app called Storage Truth. It's very small and will install in very limited space. It will tell you how much space you actually have left for installing apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.storagetruth

To make space you can:
    Delete texts or emails. If you have a lot saved on the phone, this can help.
    Delete or move photos, videos, documents, etc.
    Uninstall app updates.
    Uninstall apps.
    Clear cache files. However, this will only make space temporarily as cache files will rebuild over time. Also, while clearing cache files won't hurt anything, they're there to speed up operation and should be left alone.

If you can't move stuff to a SD card, move them to your computer or cloud storage.
    12-09-2015 12:37 PM