Galaxy S5 or HTC One (M8) - Which are you more likely to buy?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

I've seen a lot of people say that I've only stated my opinion (even though I believe everything I said to be fact). Can someone inform me what about the Galaxy S4 or S5 appeals to them? Is it really just the removable battery and/or the SD slot? Aside from those two factors, I literally cannot find a single redeeming factor of those devices. They're that bad. Why would anyone purchase the S5 over the new HTC One (assuming the leaks are accurate)?

It's that bad in your opinion. When I got the S4 because to me, it was the better phone. Better camera, better battery life, better screen, expandable storage and a removable battery. I'm sure the S5 will be no different in comparison to the new One

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Does the M8 have infrared? For using it as Dvr & TV remote?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I've seen a lot of people say that I've only stated my opinion (even though I believe everything I said to be fact). Can someone inform me what about the Galaxy S4 or S5 appeals to them? Is it really just the removable battery and/or the SD slot? Aside from those two factors, I literally cannot find a single redeeming factor of those devices. They're that bad. Why would anyone purchase the S5 over the new HTC One (assuming the leaks are accurate)?

I loved my S3 - but when the S4 dropped, I bought that device for the better battery and camera and have not been disappointed. However, I will say I don't think there is enough to the S5 to justify full donkey pricing. Sure it has a little better camera and battery but it also has stuff I'll never use such as the heartbeat monitor among other things. I've always liked the One, especially the front facing speakers. No one should have to cup the rear speaker in order to get better sound, but that's my opinion. The lack of SD Card kept me from picking it up - but it seems the new One will have it, if the leaks are confirmed. I can deal with a non-removable battery as long as I can make it through the day. One thing that irks me is having to cripple a device in order to get a work day worth of battery life - we shouldn't have to dim the screen, turn off features, etc to get through the day. Make a battery that will last - the Note 3 has an awesome battery but it's also like holding a ham sandwich to your ear.

The M8 (or whatever the official name is) has my attention - we will see what the final product is soon enough.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Really depends. However if I am sold on one device it will more than likely be the new HTC One.2 or whatever they call it. Or who knows I might just keep my One longer. Not to sure personally yet.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

M8 for sure.

I hate the S series and only bought the S4 to profit off it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Well being that the Samsung S5 is the same piece of 5h1t as the S4, I can't really see anyone with any true knowledge of smartphones choosing it over the M8. That being said, they'll still sell millions to unintelligent buyers on the shoulders of Samsung's marketing budget.

And the M8 is not pretty much the same as the HTC One? (except for the SD Card)
I really hope the camera is not like how it was on the leaked video...otherwise other than a good quality camera, doesnt really have a lot of modes to choose from

The HTC One M8 is a pretty nyce phone, but I gotta go with Samsung on this one...The Water Resistance won it over for me

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Not for me at least, the glass-metal-glass sandwich design just doesn't look good IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

You're eyes must be failing you my friend because that design is quite nice and clean! :) My concern/worry about that design is fragility and durability, IMO.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to be holding out for sometime before going with a device but I like what I've seen so far of the M8! How it'll perform for my needs is another thing.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
You're eyes must be failing you my friend because that design is quite nice and clean! :) My concern/worry about that design is fragility and durability, IMO.

Perhaps it is indeed my eyes! But alas it just doesn't do it for me! ☺ Durability concerns factor in for me as well.

Posted via Android Central App

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site

I'll be in line the first day of release of the M8!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

If the M8 has a "Blue Point" filter I'll seriously have to look at it.... My last HTC was the Thunderbolt.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Contract expired beginning of this month. I'm pretty much solid on the HTC M8 and am eagerly looking forward to it being announced, the only thing that could possibly sway me is if the Xperia Z2 releases on AT&T sooner than I expect it to.

(Edit) Forgot to add I may also go with something else if it suffers from delays like the HTC One had. My Iphone's battery is going bad so I won't be able to use it much longer.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I prefer Samsung Camera Software. Better organized, lots of useful features/modes, and it's extensible so there is probability to add functionality outside of a FW update.

The HTC One camera was too low MP and the M8 is only going to be 5. That doesn't help much for cropping and far off shots. Sometimes you can't walk up to that Bald Eagle at the Zoo, you know, and want to crop into it in the larger image... just an example.

I personally prefer TW to Sense. I have no performance issues with it on the Note so I don't think an S5 buyer has to worry about that.

S Voice/Finder is useful for things that Google Now is incapable of.

Removable battery is nice.

Samsung phones have better accessories (covers, docks, companion devices, etc.)

Sorry, but on screen buttons are a show stopper for me.

Better specs than HTC devices which matters for media manipulation apps that I use.

S Beam. A lot of people have Samsung devices. This is a lifesaver for transferring very large video files.

Multi window

Some of Samsung stock apps are more flexible and useful for what I do on my phone.

Personally I will stick with Note Series. The S Pen is indispensable for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

The M8 looks cool, and definitely improved upon which is what I expect a company to do. I don't actually need a new looking design I need real improvements. That said the only thing that would interest me is 64GB ROM and support for MicroSD and swappable battery. I heard the microSD was there but they cut the ROM to 16GB which I don't get unless what I have read is incorrect (could be). Any details. Oh and Verizon will likely NOT get it until late summer so honestly its likely out for me unless I change carriers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan