Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC One (M8)?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Very very happy to see that the new HTC flagship will have SD expansion. Despite google's best efforts it looks like SD just won't die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGM0KeY0Pc

Also happy to see that the new HTC phone is getting rid of hardware buttons. A GPE version might actually be tempting me now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I really hope they make a comeback Samsung sony htc and blackberry all have it now I like not having to rely on cloud.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

Very very happy to see that the new HTC flagship will have SD expansion. Despite google's best efforts it looks like SD just won't die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGM0KeY0Pc

Also happy to see that the new HTC phone is getting rid of hardware buttons. A GPE version might actually be tempting me now...

If only Motorola brought it back :-(

via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

If only Motorola brought it back :-(

via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M
I don't think Lenovo manufacture their own microSD brand like Samsung or Sony, but since they are in the PC business maybe they can get a licensing deal with Microsoft and implement it cheaply for their Android devices. But I still think it won't happen for Moto branded ones.

sent via tapatalk

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't believe that they'll bring back SDs. They (mostly Google and MS) tried so hard to force users adopt cloud storage instead of SDs.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I don't believe that they'll bring back SDs. They (mostly Google and MS) tried so hard to force users adopt cloud storage instead of SDs.

While its true that Google is pushing towards losing the sd card slot what you have to also consider is the amount of sales that Htc may have missed out on by not having an sd card. Htc is not in a position where they can afford to lose potential buyers.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

While its true that Google is pushing towards losing the sd card slot what you have to also consider is the amount of sales that Htc may have missed out on by not having an sd card. Htc is not in a position where they can afford to lose potential buyers.
Yeah people have only been telling them that since forever. Better late than never I suppose.

I am optimistic about Moto changing it's direction too now that Google is no longer the boss of them. I think the anti-SD jihad was really coming mostly from google.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards.. They offer nice expansion for maybe movies.. Stuff that's replaceable easily.

Other things? No thanks. Backing stuff up to them when they can corrupt easily (I've had a few randomly need to be formatted for no reason) or if I dropped my phone in a lake.. Kind of makes me hard to be useful :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

They should have never been taken away in the first place

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

How can you deny the joy and ease of Google plus backing up your pics lol

I like SD cards for media and Roms that's it. Just because I hate streaming music at the cost of my battery

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Other things? No thanks. Backing stuff up to them when they can corrupt easily (I've had a few randomly need to be formatted for no reason) or if I dropped my phone in a lake.. Kind of makes me hard to be useful :p.
Who says you have to use them for backup? Why are movies the only thing that are easily replaceable? I find that both using less battery, having access even if I don't have an internet connection and saving on my data plan or saving $150 by getting a 64 GB SD card rather than getting 48GB of internal to be very useful. Backups aren't the only use for extra storage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Who says you have to use them for backup? Why are movies the only thing that are easily replaceable? I find that both using less battery, having access even if I don't have an internet connection and saving on my data plan or saving $150 by getting a 64 GB SD card rather than getting 48GB of internal to be very useful. Backups aren't the only use for extra storage.

I never said it was the only thing did I? :). I was basically explaining why I'd never use them for things like photos (I've seen some people do this) and they use that as their only backup... It corrupts.. And they can't replace those. Hence why I like the cloud for things like that :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh also I understand on using for other things as I've used my storage in general for playlists from Google Play since T-Mobile isn't great in between cities... So I downloaded all my lists and listened to them as I drove... But if I lost those lists they can be replaced easily versus my photos or important documents.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards..
SD cards do not mean you can't use the cloud. They are not mutually exclusive.

I am loving more local storage on my nexus 5. The cloud did not save me on the Nexus 4...I had to delete stuff all the time. it was annoying as hell.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards.. They offer nice expansion for maybe movies.. Stuff that's replaceable easily.

I use it for storage but I do backup frequently. I don't mind to stream but I don't get a solid 80-100mbps connection to stream 4k.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm one of those potential buyers and they are definitely reeling me in with it available.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I never said it was the only thing did I? :).
Yes you did:

Right there you said that the only thing they're good for is movies, otherwise they're useless. Your whole argument is that SD cards are useless for anything but movies because SD cards are bad for baking stuff up. I'm pointing out that what you said is a very blatant logical fallacy because you can use your SD card for things other than back ups and using a SD card doesn't prevent you from using any other type of backup, including cloud services.

I was basically explaining why I'd never use them for things like photos (I've seen some people do this) and they use that as their only backup... It corrupts.. And they can't replace those. Hence why I like the cloud for things like that .
Saying that SD cards are useless because some people don't back up their data in other places is a straw man. You made up a single scenario where they are useless and then applied that universally. It's also true for internal storage, PC storage or any other type of storage. If you don't back up your data you're always at risk of losing it. That has nothing to do with SD cards.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Yes you did:

Right there you said that the only thing they're good for is movies, otherwise they're useless. Your whole argument is that SD cards are useless for anything but movies because SD cards are bad for baking stuff up. I'm pointing out that what you said is a very blatant logical fallacy because you can use your SD card for things other than back ups and using a SD card doesn't prevent you from using any other type of backup, including cloud services.

Saying that SD cards are useless because some people don't back up their data in other places is a straw man. You made up a single scenario where they are useless and then applied that universally. It's also true for internal storage, PC storage or any other type of storage. If you don't back up your data you're always at risk of losing it. That has nothing to do with SD cards.

I'll chime in here. I'm not too big on SD cards as far as them being a must have. I've given them a try and was unfortunate enough to have them become corrupt on several occasions (along with random unmount events). With that said, I'm reluctant to use then due to the volatility of data at rest. So I would not use them as a medium for archiving data.

However, I have found them extremely convenient for storing files (E-books, PDFs, videos, etc), that will allow me to free up more native storage while having access to them that doesn't require a data connection.

For me, the usage of an SD card is a judgment call. Knowing the pitfalls, I have to decide if I can trust them for content that isn't easily replaceable or that hasn't been stored in an alternate location.

My personal concern is that with the advent of 4K video recording, SD Cards may serve a critical purpose (since the file size of 4K can add up quickly) and the usage of them may be unavoidable in certain instances. My $0.2.

Posted via Android Central App

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

It's not for everyone. I like to d/l and swap media on the fly (often travelling) where it's nice to have flexibility independent from wifi etc. Music, movies, and ROMS!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I said it last year and I'll say it again this year, the only thing I missed about losing the microSD slot was the ability to quickly swap everything into another device. I always backed up to the cloud even when i did have a card in my EVOs, but having local copies is great. If I have to swap my phone out with a refurb I don't want to waste 2 hours downloading all of my music and photos from the cloud.

Not having the storage wasn't a deal breaker for me last year and it wouldn't be this year either. If they put it back that's just a little icing on the cake. But if they do it at the expense of internal storage (like dropping to 16GB from 32GB) that's a problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon