The HTC One (M8) priced at 579.99 in UK has Snapdragon 800 processor

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: The HTC One M8 priced at 579.99 in UK has Snapdragon 800 processor

Let me just add this... and you can find me saying this elsewhere in the past.... The HTC One was my favorite device of 2013, nothing came close in my opinion.

What I'm saying is... IF these are the specs I'm a little surprised, not because of what someone else's phone has but with what HTC said when some other phone was released.

For some reason some of you think I'm bashing the phone ... kinda strange really

Posted via Android Central App

Well you did say that everything seemed to be One Down earlier based on rumoured specs.... People love to jump to conclusions, so I'd advise that you use basic English to leave no room for interpretation when you post hahaha

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Actually other than clock speed and the support for a new type of memory, there is no differences.

Posted from my Nexus 5

And higher GPU clock speed, amounts vary depending on which version of the 800 you base it against, couple of other things also

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Well you did say that everything seemed to be One Down earlier based on rumoured specs.... People love to jump to conclusions, so I'd advise that you use basic English to leave no room for interpretation when you post hahaha

Well it is one down in the hardware is it not? I don't see how much more basic you can get. Unless you can tell me that the 800 and 801 are the same thing?

I don't see what's so hard to grasp lol

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Well it is one down in the hardware is it not? I don't see how much more basic you can get. Unless you can tell me that the 800 and 801 are the same thing?

I don't see what's so hard to grasp lol

You said everything, which is way I had to call your bs out. It is most definitely NOT down every part the hardware. If it really is an 800 then it is down only on the version of the CPU, which is only slightly worse than an 801 (which is totally irrelevant if your software is laggy). The gpu is predicted to be the same as the S5, on-board memory predicted to be more, the screen will likely be better just like the One was to the S4 (as far as PPI and outside visibility is concerned), the camera is a totally new module to come out on phones (not sure if it is better yet, but you can't say it is worse either).

You just need to be careful of the way you say things. Using heavy words like "everything" will of course warrant responses like mine.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Well that makes 2 headliners now that are crushed by the Z2 this year, let's see what Moto has up their sleeve next I guess.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Well that makes 2 headliners now that are crushed by the Z2 this year, let's see what Moto has up their sleeve next I guess.

This must be your "In my opinion" post ;)

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I actually think the Z2 is really nice. Water proof and they adapted the 2 speaker format. Top notch specs and a big battery.

I like the One a bit more but I'm waiting for the LG G3

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Ok let's put this in layman terms... This is the same specs as the Galaxy S4 lte+...

Oh and the GPU is clocked higher...

" The CPU frequency jumps from a maximum of 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz, an 8-percent increase and a jump in the GPU from 550MHz to 578MHz a mere 5-percent increase in performance. With the GPU jump from the MSM8974 (800) to the newer MSM8974AB there is a 22-percent increase in speed and when compared to the MSM8974AC there is a 28-percent jump. The newer MSM8974AB and MSM8974AC chips have their own image signal processor (ISP) chip for faster handling of videos and images ? between the older MSM8974 and the two newer chips, there is a 45-percent increase in speed from 320MHz to 465MHz. This has caused a throughput bumped from 640MPixels/s (320MHz) to 1GPixels/s (465MHZ)."

Now then, like I've been saying since the start, "on paper it's older spec"

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I actually think the Z2 is really nice. Water proof and they adapted the 2 speaker format. Top notch specs and a big battery.

My boss has just gone with the z1s, looks a nice phone, wish we could have waited but it's a company setup and we had to choose our new phones today, looking forward to seeing it

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

We're not serious right? did you read the dual camera description? thats a poorly drawn up preview of the new HTC One.

I wish the Z2 was in the US by next week when my update comes, AHHHHH I dont wanna get the Z1s but I dont know if i can wait?!

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

My boss has just gone with the z1s, looks a nice phone, wish we could have waited but it's a company setup and we had to choose our new phones today, looking forward to seeing it

What do you think of the Z1s vs the HTC One?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

The only people that know the M8 specs are the people not saying anything.

Everything else is a guess.
I think those would be the people who may already have one in hand. You know, like the people who will post 5 articles within minutes of the announcement event concluding, because they've had a review unit for weeks and have their articles written and ready to publish. Like people from certain reputable websites and tech blogs. You know those folks, right? Like the ones who knew 4.4 was going to be KitKat and not Key Lime Pie. You know those people, Jerry. You know you do. And I know that you know that I know who you think I am referring to.

If there was only a way for one of those esteemed individuals to give us a teenie tiny bit of information. Just a little morsel. Alas, I don't think there is a place where that could happen. I can't think of a place on the internet, let alone this site, where people can post things about various topics and engage in conversation. Like a forum or something. That would be sweet. You guys should think about adding that to your site.

PFKMan23

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I think those would be the people who may already have one in hand. You know, like the people who will post 5 articles within minutes of the announcement event concluding, because they've had a review unit for weeks and have their articles written and ready to publish. Like people from certain reputable websites and tech blogs. You know those folks, right? Like the ones who knew 4.4 was going to be KitKat and not Key Lime Pie. You know those people, Jerry. You know you do. And I know that you know that I know who you think I am referring to.

If there was only a way for one of those esteemed individuals to give us a teenie tiny bit of information. Just a little morsel. Alas, I don't think there is a place where that could happen. I can't think of a place on the internet, let alone this site, where people can post things about various topics and engage in conversation. Like a forum or something. That would be sweet. You guys should think about adding that to your site.

While I'm sure peopple love that, the people in such a position are most likely bound by a non disclosure agreement.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Asking for a morsel of information is like me placing a Worthers original on your tongue, asking you to suck on it until it dissolves, and forbidding you from biting into it at any time. The temptation to ask for more would be too great to ignore.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

The bickering in this thread is absolutely hilarious. I didn't see anything wrong with angry english's posts. If you look at the RUMOURED specs, then yes, on paper, the M8 is technically using an older processor. The 800 is older than the 801. Period. There's nothing debatable about that. But, in real world usage, you won't notice a difference in performance.

Still, for people to get up in arms about someone else's opinion is just dumb. What makes your opinion more valid than someone else's?

The phone isn't even out yet, lol. If anything, we should all be reserving judgement until it's released. And, even then, the M8 will be a better fit for some people. Some people will like it, some people won't. The butthurt needs to stop, though. People need to stop attacking everyone that doesn't necessarily agree with them or their phone of choice. I swear, for all of the mocking that Android users direct at Crackberry and its fan base, that same can probably be said for a good portion of the users here.

/ end rant

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Oh, but that BEZEL on the Z2...absolutely horrendous! 😜

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Not necessarily. The S801 is essentially a over clocked S800 with support for a new type of flash memory (that as far as I know isn't even available yet). That's it. It won't offer any real noticeable gains in speed or anything.

Posted from my Nexus 5

That's incorrect and quite misleading.

The 801 has gains in a number of areas. It's better than the 800 is practically every way, and especially for imaging (the ISP is much better than the 800's).

Not going for the 801 was a bad choice, IMO, seeing as how it's available and devices that have been on the market for close to 6 months or longer have earlier 800s that are almost on par for performance with the chip HTC is using.

I doubt volume was an issue since they surely can't be expecting to move as many M8s as Samsung is expecting to sell GS5's.

Also, 5MP camera. Did they learn at all from the disadvantages of the low MP count in the first HTC One. Why not just put a f2.2 improved 8MP camera in the device so that those of us that need to crop don't end up with useless detail-less content when we do that (never mind the clear advantages for far-off shots and high resolution panoramas the higher MP cameras give). This camera hoopla of theirs is frustrating me.

In comparison with the Snapdragon 800, the new 801 comes with 14% faster Krait 400 processor cores, 28% faster Adreno 330 graphics, and the whole reason for the 801 being - a 45% improvement in camera sensor processing speed. Qualcomm made it pin-for-pin and software compatible with Snapdragon 800, so changing to the 801 is just a matter of swapping out the old, and plugging the new.

While the CPU and GPU gains may be marginal, the ISP enhancements will be noticeable.

Even though the S600-S800 may not even be noticeable for the average consumer from a real-world performance standpoint CPU and GPU-wise, there is a clear improvement in camera performance between the S4 and Note 3, IMO.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

everything seems to be One Down
and that was the exact moment I stopped taking you seriously as a consumer, and started thinking of you as a guy who thinks an overclocked 800 makes a phone king above all.

But the 801 does have areas where it clearly outclasses the 800.

The 801 isn't a huge upgrade in CPU/GPU, but it does offer clear benefits over the 800 in other areas. When you get to the level we're at in processing power, the details start to matter more.

Also, perception is reality to a lot of people, and from a marketing sense allowing Samsung to say (rightly) that their phone is "more powerful" than yours puts you at a disadvantage from that perspective.

If the GS5 camera is even approaching as good as people say it is (if it's even a marginal improvement over the Note 3 + better Low Light capabilities), then I don't see why anyone who values that component in a phone would consider going for HTC and their 5MP cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol