The new HTC One (M8) vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: The new HTC One vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

Don't know why you feel the need to lie about something that we all know isn't true. I have an S4 and have tried many different camera apps, settings and modes. There is a very noticeable shutter lag when taking photos in just about any condition, and it's about 2x as bad in poorly lit situations. The One takes extremely fast pictures, and is about as close as any Android phone is going to get to the iPhone in terms of speed.

I have pictures I can send you and the EXIF doesn't lie. They're from an S4.

I also owned the 5S so I know (probably better than you) how it compared as well.

Also, I own a Note 3.

Still, his camera doesn't have the kind of lag you people are talking about. I've done multiple tests since reading about that here and it simply isn't there.

Sorry it passes you off to hear that. I have no reason to lie about a phone I don't even own or even want at this point.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I also owned the 5S so I know (probably better than you) how it compared as well.

Also, I own a Note 3.

Still, his camera doesn't have the kind of lag you people are talking about. I've done multiple tests since reading about that here and it simply isn't there.

Sorry it passes you off to hear that. I have no reason to lie about a phone I don't even own or even want at this point.

Nobody is doubting that you've taken plenty of pictures with your phone. EXIF will tell us nothing about time to focus or shutter lag (the time it takes to capture the picture after you press the button).

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Also, I own a Note 3.

Let me guess-- the Note 3 camera was faster than the 5s. Btw, every S4 has camera lag.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Let me guess-- the Note 3 camera was faster than the 5s.

No. But it lacked the aggressive over processing in the 5S. Oversaturated colors, some of the most aggressive noise reduction I've seen in a flagship phone, and the photos are still less detailed for obvious reasons.

Rhetorical question, but still worth a response.

The Note 3 does take faster Burst Shots.

My Note 3 is focusing in about half a second in indoor light.

Every One lacks detail in the photos, blows out lights in low light images , tints the images, etc. We can go round and round with this.

I still didn't see any lag in his camera.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Also, I own a Note 3.

I've used the Note 3 enough to know that there is significant shutter lag, especially in comparison to ANY iPhone (Which I have also used a lot, despite what you think). I'm not mad at all, I just find it funny that you're claiming the exact opposite of what three other members who have used all phones mentioned extensively...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I've used the Note 3 enough to know that there is significant shutter lag, especially in comparison to ANY iPhone (Which I have also used a lot, despite what you think). I'm not mad at all, I just find it funny that you're claiming the exact opposite of what three other members who have used all phones mentioned extensively...

There's no shutter lag unless you press the shutter before the phone focuses. In that case any device will focus before firing the shutter. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

I just took a picture with the phone. It focuses in like half a second or less and there is no shutter lag.

Samsung phone have long press to lock focus. Tap the shutter don't press it like a real button. May help you a bit. It doesn't fire on depress like HTC devices, and burst shot on long press.

Really at this point nothing more to say. I'm holding the phone in my hand right now and trying to find this lag you mention, but can't.

Think I may do a video tomorrow when I have another device to record with. Lol

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

There's no shutter lag unless you press the shutter before the phone focuses. In that case any device will focus before firing the shutter. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

I just took a picture with the phone. It focuses in like half a second or less and there is no shutter lag.

Samsung phone have long press to lock focus. Tap the shutter don't press it like a real button. May help you a bit. It doesn't fire on depress like HTC devices, and burst shot on long press.

Really at this point nothing more to say. I'm holding the phone in my hand right now and trying to find this lag you mention, but can't.

You're joking right? Obviously there will be no lag if you tap to focus before hand...that's what causes the shutter lag in the first place. It'll still take longer to focus prior to pressing the shutter, so either way, the One will take photos a lot faster than both the Note 3 and S4.
You're the one who seems to not know what he's talking about...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

You're joking right? Obviously there will be no lag if you tap to focus before hand...that's what causes the shutter lag in the first place. It'll still take longer to focus prior to pressing the shutter, so either way, the One will take photos a lot faster than both the Note 3 and S4.
You're the one who seems to not know what he's talking about...

I'm not tapping to focus. Video coming in a few.

The only shutter lag any of this phones have is the time to ficus, which is what Kevin asked about. It's like half a second or less. Once the phone focuses the shutter is instant. also, once the phone locks focus in the scene regaining focus is faster. There is no massive shutter lag on these phones u less you're panning around at warp speed taking images to force it out of focus between shots. The Samsung devices focus almost as fast as an iPhone. If you do any decent video test, this is pretty darn obvious.

Practically all relatively recent smartphone and point and shoot cameras function pretty similar to what I just described.

You are attempting to redefine shutter lag. Or something, I'm not sure. Shutter lag is the time between when the shutter is pressed and the image is captures. The only time the shuttering instant is when the phone has to focus first. I don't use tap to focus. If I need to lock focus/exposure I long press the shutter and then release to capture, a feature that has existed since the first galaxy s which minimizes blurring die to camera shake when capturing photos.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The only shutter lag any of this phones have is the time to ficus, which is what Kevin asked about. It's like half a second or less. Once the phone focuses the shutter is instant. also, once the phone locks focus in the scene regaining focus is faster. There is no massive shutter lag on these phones u less you're panning around at warp speed taking images to force it out of focus between shots. The Samsung devices focus almost as fast as an iPhone. If you do any decent video test, this is pretty darn obvious.

Practically all relatively recent smartphone and point and shoot cameras function pretty similar to what I just described.

You are attempting to redefine shutter lag. Or something, I'm not sure. Shutter lag is the time between when the shutter is pressed and the image is captures. The only time the shuttering instant is when the phone has to focus first. I don't use tap to focus. If I need to lock focus/exposure I long press the shutter and then release to capture, a feature that has existed since the first galaxy s which minimizes blurring die to camera shake when capturing photos.

There, that's the key. That's the qualifier. Focus time on the One is much faster. Same with iPhone if I'm being honest. I actually did bring up both time to focus and time to capture, though.

If I pull my phone out of my pocket to take a picture it needs to be fast to focus and​ fast to capture. Being good at just one or the other isn't good enough. The Note 3 isn't faster than the One at either of these. Time between shots is also important, but is honestly not something I've tested all that thoroughly on the Note 3.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

There, that's the key. That's the qualifier. Focus time on the One is much faster. Same with iPhone if I'm being honest. I actually did bring up both time to focus and time to capture, though.

If I pull my phone out of my pocket to take a picture it needs to be fast to focus and​ fast to capture. Being good at just one or the other isn't good enough. The Note 3 isn't faster than the One at either of these. Time between shots is also important, but is honestly not something I've tested all that thoroughly on the Note 3.

It's like less than half a second.

Yes. You did and I responded. Capture time is instant and I'm capturing to an SD card.

Focus time is less than half a second.

However that actually requires a more extensive test. It would ficus faster in daylight outside. The One would surely out class it in dim lighting. I've never stated anything to the contrary.

The iPhone is slightly better but it's focusing in video is quite slow and jumpy (and as you can see from my posts, I do a lot of video).

The Note 3 captures instantly with no shutter lag so I'm not sure how much better it could theoretically be. The focus times are very fast.

It just isn't really a factor on this phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Like I said; that's obvious. If you focus before taking the shot, there will be little to no lag when taking the picture, but that doesn't work for when your subject is moving and the camera needs to refocus. The point is that the One and iPhone take pictures a lot faster than the Note and S4, especially when you need to be constantly refocusing the shot

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Like I said; that's obvious. If you focus before taking the shot, there will be little to no lag when taking the picture, but that doesn't work for when your subject is moving and the camera needs to refocus. The point is that the One and iPhone take pictures a lot faster than the Note and S4, especially when you need to be constantly refocusing the shot

Umm. You said shutter lag. Please stick to one thing. The phone focuses fast. Under half a second. The iPhone was not much better. I just had it a week ago, Lol. Do you realize that probably half the screen on time for my phone is the camera app. I use my phone as a full on point and shoot/camcorder replacement and record videos and take pictures for sports analysis on device and in PC software.

If this thing had a laggy shutter and could not focus quickly, I'd have already returned it.

I did not buy the Note 3 cause the focus was faster than the One. I bought The Note 3 cause the images were of better quality and the video capabilities are much better.

The iPhone does a massive amount of post processing on the images it takes, which is very noticeable on a full monitor. I couldn't deal with that.

You also replied without reading my whole post. Once the phone focuses. Refocusing tends to be much faster. Pull your phone out and check. I doubt it's any different.

We can assume these phones capture images quickly otherwise they wouldn't be able to pull off the types of burst shots and pictures during video they do.

The focus speed is quick and the focus adjustments are much quicker. There is no shutter lag, period.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Umm. You said shutter lag. Please stick to one thing. The phone focuses fast. Under half a second. The iPhone was not much better. I just had it a week ago, Lol. Do you realize that probably half the screen on time for my phone is the camera app. I use my phone as a full on point and shoot/camcorder replacement and record videos and take pictures for sports analysis on device and in PC software.

If this thing had a large shutter and coukd ficus quickly, I'd have already returned it.

You also replied without reading my whole post. Once the phone focuses. Refocusing tends to be much faster. Pull your phone out and check. I doubt it's any different.

We can assume these phones capture images quickly otherwise they wouldn't be able to pull off the types of burst shots and pictures during video they do.

The focus speed is quick and the focus adjustments are much quicker. There is no shutter lag, period.

Yes, there is shutter lag. Pull out your phone and hit the shutter button without focusing first. Do it in a poorly lit room and notice how it takes considerably longer for the first shot, but the subsequent shots are almost instantaneous. We already knew that would be the case, but what me and Kevin are saying is that it'll take longer to refocus if I move the camera either to keep up with the subject, or change it to a different one. I just tested an iPhone 4S and a 5, as well as my S4, and the iPhones focused faster after initially launching the camera, and when refocusing. The only time the the S4 was on par was after it had focused and stuck with the same subject

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I think at this point, because we can keep going like this forever, it's best to just wait for the new One and S5 to be released and judge them then.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes, there is shutter lag. Pull out your phone and hit the shutter button without focusing first. Do it in a poorly lit room and notice how it takes considerably longer for the first shot, but the subsequent shots are almost instantaneous. We already knew that would be the case, but what me and Kevin are saying is that it'll take longer to refocus if I move the camera either to keep up with the subject, or change it to a different one. I just tested an iPhone 4S and a 5, as well as my S4, and the iPhones focused faster after initially launching the camera, and when refocusing. The only time the the S4 was on par was after it had focused and stuck with the same subject

Focus times are not the same as shutter lag.

The other phones do the same. They don't focus instantaneously and will hold the shutter unless you can force them to release it when out of focus.

Why can't you understand this? This is not a doctorate-level concept.

If Kevin told you those things were different, would you believe him and stop pestering me with an intentional misinterpretation of a simple concept?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Focus times are not the same as shutter lag.

Why can't you understand this.

This is not a doctorate level concept.

If Kevin told you those things were different, would you believe him and stop pestering me with an intentional misinterpretation of a simple concept?

I think it was agreed by all of us that shutter lag is "the time it takes to capture a picture after pressing the button" correct? That could, and oftentimes does, include time to focus.

It sounds like you're trying to take time to focus out of the equation when it comes to capturing pictures, and you can't do that. Unless you're ok with completely blurry pictures. :p

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I think it was agreed by all of us that shutter lag is "the time it takes to capture a picture after pressing the button" correct? That could, and oftentimes does, include time to focus.

It sounds like you're trying to take time to focus out of the equation when it comes to capturing pictures, and you can't do that. Unless you're ok with completely blurry pictures. :p

These athletes move faster than your toddler. This phone hasn't failed me yet 😬

All phones have lag when they aren't in focus, so it's disingenuous to group them together and pretend some do and some done.

The only difference is the focus times, which, unless you're forcing conditions that are disadvantageous yo one device while benefitting others... is negligible.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

These athletes move faster than your toddler. This phone hasn't failed me yet 

You didn't answer my questions at all.

My toddler runs around me. Literally. Around me. In a radius of three feet. Speed is relative to distance.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

With the speed at which we're all replying to each other editing posts is probably not a good idea. :)

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

You didn't answer my questions at all.

My toddler runs around me. Literally. Around me. In a radius of three feet. Speed is relative to distance.

Read my edit.

Like I said. This phone has no issues. The differences in focus speed are negligible and I get much better pictures out of the phone.