The new HTC One (M8) vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: The new HTC One vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

Hey guys,

So I was looking at a comparison between the new HTC One and the Galaxy S5. They've got a mockup I guess and all the rumoured specs - here's the link.

Screenshot from the site above:
View attachment 107918

They list 10 reasons for the One and 15 for the S5. To me they seem evenly matched. Personally I would rather have the better camera and the better materials/build quality of the HTC One, without a doubt! But I'm a bit disappointed in a way.. I think considering Samsung's marketing budget HTC really had to do something impressive with their new flagship to compensate, but it just seems like a minor update, not that it's a bad update at all. But I think maybe not enough.

What do you guys think? Does that comparison seem accurate to you? Do you think HTC is on the way out? I hope not, they are my favourite OEM. The Hero was my first device and I've always had a soft spot for them since then!

Nedia

The One's camera was worse than the S4, so how can you assume the M8's camera will be better than the S5...

EDIT: Oh, you mean the "Selfie Camera?"

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

If what i am reading on the dual camera is what HTC is doing then the camera should be great. the dual cam will give you 3X up to 5X optical zoom. If you have optical zoom a 4 mp camera will give you better results than a much higher mp cam. last years HTC and S4 had no optical zoom but both had 4X digital zoom. So with the HTC One M8 you can zoom in on the picture 3X before you get any lose. I like what HTC is doing. Instead of just adding more mp to the camera HTC, Corephotonics and toshiba are creating new cameras for smaller electronics to give the user a better experience.

The full images form the M8 will still be at a huge loss for detail compared to the S5, so no they shouldn't be playing down MP. We all seen how that went down with the S4 and One.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

The full images form the M8 will still be at a huge loss for detail compared to the S5, so no they shouldn't be playing down MP. We all seen how that went down with the S4 and One.

It's not the same technology as the original ONE!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Well, to each their own, I guess...but I take that beautiful metal body out and admire it every time I use it, and I can't remember the last time I worried about my phone getting wet.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

That's the thing, sometimes there's things called accidents that could get your phone wet. But the s5 clearly isn't aimed for everyone. I'm not getting one. I'm just pointing out how Samsung will market it. Plus as crazy as it sounds the fingerprint scanner will be another key selling point.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

It's not the same technology as the original ONE!

That doesn't matter. If you take the exact same image with the M8 (assuming 4-5 MP Sensor) as with the S4 or S5 (13-16MP Sensor), that image will have much less pixels in it for the same scene. It's impossible to take a more detailed image, and you can end up with a much better 4MP image by simply resizing the higher MP image in a decent editing application.

I'm not sure if it not using the same technology as the Original One matters. The S5 doesn't use the Same Technology as the S4, either, so I'm making a comparison on generations (since we can always assume the optics to get improved [even if marginally] when a flagship is upgraded - I am NOT assuming the M8's camera will be a carbon Copy of the One's).

The only thing I use a FFC for is video calls. I rarely do that from a phone, and Samsung is the only OEM with a solution (ChatOn) that supports Video Chat @ 1080p resolution with Great Quality (Skype/Hangouts are both terrible quality by comparison, and FaceTime is only 720p and iOS device only) + HD-quality VoIP (Voice-Only Calls over Data - Hangouts only has that on iOS!).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Well, to each their own, I guess...but I take that beautiful metal body out and admire it every time I use it, and I can't remember the last time I worried about my phone getting wet.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Just being in a high-humidity area can cause water damage to phones as cold moisture gets in it and then "liquefies" in the phone and accumulates. It isn't just about dropping it in a puddle.

There are many people whose charging port stopped working, speakers stopped working, etc. and it wasn't because they dropped it in the toilet, but because the humidity assaulted the components in the device.

Because of this I always keep my device wrapped in a towel in the training facility.

Also, the metal phones shut themselves down because they get way too cold, especially in the winter time. I see this all the time with iPhones and the One would likely not fare much better. due to the aluminum materials they used.

Plastics don't get nearly as cold.

All have their Pros and Cons. It really depends on preference and where and how you'll be using the device. I think the One's build is best-in class, but the materials and camera weren't practical for me.

nedia_r

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Quite a lot of animosity! I didn't mean it's completely accurate but at the end of the day all we can use when discussing is the rumoured specs.. And for HTC there seem to be a lot. Personally I can't wait to see what the camera does, HTC seem to be really trying hard to be innovative, more so than just sticking a heart rate monitor on the back of the phone :p

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Quite a lot of animosity! I didn't mean it's completely accurate but at the end of the day all we can use when discussing is the rumoured specs.. And for HTC there seem to be a lot. Personally I can't wait to see what the camera does, HTC seem to be really trying hard to be innovative, more so than just sticking a heart rate monitor on the back of the phone :p

Do you know anything about the S5 camera tech? Cause you don't sound like you do.

I don't see anything HTC is doing as innovative. They put out a shabby camera called it something cure and then told us it's for Facebookers and we shouldn't be crying about the poor quality.

It's not my fault other OEMs let the it customers have their cake and eat it, while HTC is failing to deliver quality in that area.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

The One's camera was worse than the S4, so how can you assume the M8's camera will be better than the S5...

EDIT: Oh, you mean the "Selfie Camera?"

No the One's camera was not worse than S4's in everything. The One's camera was better in some aspects and worse in others. You constantly try to make it like the S4 camera trashed the One's camera in every possible way. It's not true. Even your link in another topic said the same and your conclusion was "S4 camera poops all over the One's".
From the laggy TouchWiz camera app to Zoes and Videos Highlights and from excellent videos taken with HTC One to crappy night photos taken with S4 I don't agree with you.

Also you keep talking about full images and 100%. Who uses camera photos just to zoom in that much?
The majority of camera photos are seen in other phone screens or computers without the need for any zoom.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Both aren't really intriguing devices in my eyes, each have nice features, but Samsung wins on that end, especially with their additional software freebies. Camera I don't care about. TouchWiz vs sense is not a point of conversation with me because I never use stock launchers. At the end of the day, I'll give the gs5 the edge.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Also you keep talking about full images and 100%. Who uses camera photos just to zoom in that much?
The majority of camera photos are seen in other phone screens or computers without the need for any zoom.
Why are you asking ME that question. What response are you expecting me to give?

Who's zooming into the picture? I'm viewing the picture at normal resolution. There is no such thing as zooming into a 100% view of an image, Lol.

The S4 trashed the One's camera. The One was better than the S4 in *most* (but not all) low light scenarios. That's about it. And by low light, I mean extremely low light.

If the image looks that much better at 100% Crop, how much better do you think it's going to look on a smaller screen or when zoomed out?

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Why are you asking ME that question. What response are you expecting me to give?

Who's zooming into the picture? I'm viewing the picture at normal resolution. There is no such thing as zooming into a 100% view of an image, Lol.

The S4 trashed the One's camera. The One was better than the S4 in *most* (but not all) low light scenarios. That's about it. And by low light, I mean extremely low light.

If the image looks that much better at 100% Crop, how much better do you think it's going to look on a smaller screen or when zoomed out?

No comment on time to focus or shutter speed?

Motion blur is a big deal for a lot of people, and the One is great in this respect. It's extremely fast to focus and has almost non-existent shutter lag. It can happen, but it's rare.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

No comment on time to focus or shutter speed?

Motion blur is a big deal for a lot of people, and the One is great in this respect. It's extremely fast to focus and has almost non-existent shutter lag. It can happen, but it's rare.

Use sports mode. No issue with that. It takes like 2 seconds or less once you get used to using the phone to switch with Samsung camera software UI. HTC camera UI isn't as well organized. For example Drama Shot is a simple mode switch on a Samsung, but you must use Zoe to accomplish this on an HTC device.

I didn't answer because that is not an issue on Samsung cameras. My phone focuses fast.

I actually use my phone for sports stuff so if it had an issue with that o would not have gotten it.

Before I got this phone I had my friend do all of this for me on his S4.

I have no issues with shutter speed. I test all phones out quite a bit before buying them. So if I list requirements for me you can make a pretty accurate guess that I'm using meets them.

I can also do 720p@120fps and 1080p@60fps, which the one does not do, which is baller for sports.

😬

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Use sports mode. No issue with that. It takes like 2 seconds to switch with Samsung camera software UI.

I didn't answer because that is not an issue on Samsung cameras. My phone focuses fast.

I actually use my phone for sports stuff so if it had an issue with that o would not have gotten it.

Before j got this phone I had my friend do all of this for me on his S4.

I have no issues with shutter speed. I test all phones out quite a bit before buying them. So if I list requirements for me you can make a pretty accurate guess that I'm using meets them.

Compared to the One it is an issue on Samsung cameras. I've experienced on the S4 (which I spent an admittedly brief time with) and the Note 3 (which I spent a much longer time with).

I don't have to switch modes on the One to get a good shot of a fast moving subject like my running four year old.

There's a saying "the best camera is the one you have with you" and I totally agree, you can't get the picture with a camera that isn't there obviously. But if that camera is not capable of snapping the picture when press the button it's just as worthless. Those two seconds you spend switching modes can absolutely make or break getting the shot. I'm sure you know this. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge regarding camera and photography in general.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Compared to the One it is an issue on Samsung cameras. I've experienced on the S4 (which I spent an admittedly brief time with) and the Note 3 (which I spent a much longer time with).

I don't have to switch modes on the One to get a good shot of a fast moving subject like my running four year old.

There's a saying "the best camera is the one you have with you" and I totally agree, you can't get the picture with a camera that isn't there obviously. But if that camera is not capable of snapping the picture when press the button it's just as worthless. Those two seconds you spend switching modes can absolutely make or break getting the shot. I'm sure you know this. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge regarding camera and photography in general.

This is not an issue on my Note 3. Lol

I take a lot more pictures of much faster moving objects, and the camera is fine.

Shutter speed on his S4 is almost instant. My Note 3 performs better.

I'd use 4K recording for the toddler and just frame cap a better image than the One takes from the video. The camcorder shutter is right there in the viewfinder.

I don't do many spur of the moment shots. My phone is used as a training tool more than for vanity shots of toddlers and bar moments.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

This is not an issue on my Note 3. Lol

I take a lot more pictures of much faster moving objects, and the camera is fine.

Shutter speed on his S4 is almost instant. My Note 3 performs better.

I'd use 4K recording for the toddler and just frame cap a better image than the One takes from the video. The camcorder shutter is right there in the viewfinder.

So you've also done this side-by-side with the One?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I tested all of the cameras and sent myself sample pics from units before I made a purchase. I tested the G2 as well.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Just tested my note 3. There is no shutter lag, at all on this phone. When I press the shutter the image is taken.

When you use another one. Make sure Auto Night Mode and Smart Stabilization are off. Most people that I heard Co planning about shutter lag or "processing" had or have those on.

I also don't use a camera flash, ever.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm leaning towards the One simply because I loved the phone last year, and even though I got rid of it to get an LG G2 then a Nexus 5 then an Xperia Z1, I still miss the One. Miss the build, miss the screen, miss the speakers, and miss the camera.

Granted, the camera wasn't best in all situations. Certainly doesn't take pictures in well lit shots better than the G2 or Z1, but low light shots it did extremely damn well, whereas my current Z1 just has really grainy images.

There are of course pros and cons to both devices. You just have to determine what aspects are most important to you in a smartphone, write them down, giving them a weighting, then look at the two phones and see which one weighs in better for your needs.

There's no right or wrong answer, just whatever suits you the most. If I were like my sister and photos on the phone were the most important thing, I'd get an iPhone. Nothing wrong with that. Get what you think will be best for you.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Just tested my note 3. There is no shutter lag, at all on this phone. When I press the shutter the image is taken.

When you use another one. Make sure Auto Night Mode and Smart Stabilization are off. Most people that I heard Co planning about shutter lag or "processing" had or have those on.

I also don't use a camera flash, ever.

Don't know why you feel the need to lie about something that we all know isn't true. I have an S4 and have tried many different camera apps, settings and modes. There is a very noticeable shutter lag when taking photos in just about any condition, and it's about 2x as bad in poorly lit situations. The One takes extremely fast pictures, and is about as close as any Android phone is going to get to the iPhone in terms of speed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia