New HTC One (M8) hands-on in German

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Even though I can't understand much of it, it seems to be a very well done review

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

ben moliere

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
He is just giving a full description of the phone. He is actually confirming for the greater part what we already knew. The combine value of the two cams are 6 ultra pixel with the top being 2UP and bottom 4 UP. It's not a 3D cam arrangement. The cam on top (2UP) is for recording data that allows you to change focus and other tweaking post snaps. There is a 3D effect you can get on screen by moving the phone in different direction.... Well the rest is self explanatory. You get to see a quick demo of sense UI6 in action. ... Oh there is an extreme battery saving mode like the one on the S5 and others in which the functions are reduce to sending emails, mesages, calendars, calls and I don't remember what else...

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
WOW, the selective focus on this phone I think is better than the S5...this one u can select anywhere and have it focus, unlike the S5 where u have to select the focus point before u edit

Also the 3D effect thing is pretty cool...Im liking this camera...very nyce

Interesting how it also has an extreme power saving mode...I think the S5 one is better though because u can add your own apps to it

The HTC One camera is impressing me from this video

Podolsky

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
6 ultra pixels?? Really? :/ I really want this phone but camera could be a deal breaker not just for me, and why they put 5mp on front?? Just make no sense...

Posted from my new Nexus 5

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I know....I'm in the same boat. I wanted it bad but it's looking like the s5 is going to be for me.
6 ultra pixels?? Really? :/ I really want this phone but camera could be a deal breaker not just for me, and why they put 5mp on front?? Just make no sense...

Posted from my new Nexus 5

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I hear selfies are kind of a thing now on social media lol

Apparently but if that's what they're aiming at the logic is twisted. The whole argument for the Ultrapixel 4 MP on the old One was that most people use their phone camera's for social media and therefore a higher MP count isn't needed. I think time has proven HTC's argument in that regard to be wrong, as most reviews pointed out that the lack of MP hurt the amount of detail in the pics.

But, following HTC's line of thinking, if people will use the front camera for selfies, which almost certainly will go purely to social media, why have such a relatively high MP count?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Apparently but if that's what they're aiming at the logic is twisted. The whole argument for the Ultrapixel 4 MP on the old One was that most people use their phone camera's for social media and therefore a higher MP count isn't needed. I think time has proven HTC's argument in that regard to be wrong, as most reviews pointed out that the lack of MP hurt the amount of detail in the pics.

But, following HTC's line of thinking, if people will use the front camera for selfies, which almost certainly will go purely to social media, why have such a relatively high MP count?

I wouldn't say that reviewers pointing out lack of detail (primarily when cropping and zooming, which isn't really done on social media) makes HTC's argument wrong. Just like us here in the forums, reviewers don't use the phones like "normal" people, and their goal isn't the same as someone just walking into a store and buying a phone.

I can only speculate as to the reason why 5mp on the front. Maybe the cost for them was the same, and pic quality was either the same or better. In that case, there's no reason to not​ go with the 5mp, right?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say that reviewers pointing out lack of detail (primarily when cropping and zooming, which isn't really done on social media) makes HTC's argument wrong. Just like us here in the forums, reviewers don't use the phones like "normal" people, and their goal isn't the same as someone just walking into a store and buying a phone.

I can only speculate as to the reason why 5mp on the front. Maybe the cost for them was the same, and pic quality was either the same or better. In that case, there's no reason to not​ go with the 5mp, right?

True that but the reviews(including this site's) were near uniform in pointing out how the lack of MP hurt detail and in particular when zooming and cropping. The One didn't win any camera shootouts and generally came near the bottom of most of the comparisons. So I'd say something was definitely off about the UltraPixel experiment. Not to mention the defective modules...but I digress.

As for the front camera, just seems like overkill and perhaps merely a marketing gimmick.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
True that but the reviews(including this site's) were near uniform in pointing out how the lack of MP hurt detail and in particular when zooming and cropping. The One didn't win any camera shootouts and generally came near the bottom of most of the comparisons. So I'd say something was definitely off about the UltraPixel experiment. Not to mention the defective modules...but I digress.

As for the front camera, just seems like overkill and perhaps merely a marketing gimmick.

Yeah, but I'm not one to crop and zoom a camera phone pic, so that's a non issue for me. Most of my pictures are taken indoors in less than ideal conditions. In my situations the One does just fine for me, and the camera is fast enough to get the pics I need it to get (can't say the same about other devices, even the N5). They definitely had some issues with defective modules. Hopefully they're doing better with that this time around.

They aren't the first to do a 5mp front shooter, and I'm sure they won't be the last. :) Maybe next year we'll get a flash on the front also. :p