HTC One (M8) camera discussion

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They say it will be < 300 ms focus time, the new background blur feature, and also just the camera itself with field of depth. I personally liked the blur effect feature but I am also curious how it will handle moving objects. I know Samsung can have issues with blurry photos (from experience)... not all the time but it does happen usually with moving objects.

What do you guys think about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: M8 Camera

If this really does take awesome low light and less blurred pics, that sells me right there!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Without seeing it in person, and just watching the live stream, it looks outstanding. I'm glad to see that some of it is hardware and not just software filters and effects. My One camera is great - this looks to be so much better.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I had no issues with the camera on my HTC One (when I had it) except for one thing ... sometimes in high light situations it would cause the picture be all washed out looking. Like.. when taking a picture of my dog near the window the whole window would just be a huge white square.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

3 reviews that I've read, AC's, the Verge and PA still slag the One's camera for lack of MP, especially in outdoor pics. Such a shame they didnt correct his obvious deficiency.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

3 reviews that I've read, AC's, the Verge and PA still slag the One's camera for lack of MP, especially in outdoor pics. Such a shame they didnt correct his obvious deficiency.

Add in Gizmodo and Engadget. :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Yea... I know that cramming too many "megapixels" into small sensor is not a very good thing but they should've definitely increased it for extra detail, especially for people who view photos on large high-DPI monitors and TVs (which will be more common over next years). Also, if I'm not mistaken - they took away optical image stabilization completely? Why? It's very useful to have when filming videos on the move :-/

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The Engadget review in my opinion spoke very highly of the camera.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

The reviews I've seen speak highly of the camera features and interface but uniformly point out that the lack of MP hurts picture detail and the camera trails its higher MP rivals and for no reason other than corporate dedication to "UltraPixel".

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

The Engadget review in my opinion spoke very highly of the camera.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

I read this more as glass half empty than half full:

"Photos taken during the day turned out nearly identical to the original One. That's not a bad thing since we still love using that phone to take pictures, but it's disappointing that there wasn't much of an improvement in actual image quality. It seems that most of HTC's resources were spent on getting the Duo Camera ready for action. Ultimately, the One still takes great shots for viewing and sharing on your phone or other mobile device, but they aren't the kind of photos you'll be framing on your wall."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

All of the reviews I've read so far point out the poor quality of the camera. Some even saying the Nexus 5 takes better pics.

Really killed my excitement for this device and I don't know if I'll buy one now.

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Yea... Engadget also said that the photos are more blurry than on Nokia model and they were also disappointed that there's no OIS anymore...

Personally I'd rather see OIS and better overall image quality instead of gimmicks like "UFocus" or more megapixels for front camera for improved selfies (which I never take).

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

All of the reviews I've read so far point out the poor quality of the camera. Some even saying the Nexus 5 takes better pics.

Really killed my excitement for this device and I don't know if I'll buy one now.

I feel you. My N5 can be slow to focus sometimes and the UI stinks but it does take really sharp and detailed pics. Hard to step down from there.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately the camera was a deal breaker for me. I had the first One and loved the phone but not the lack of zooming or blowing up pictures. A 6mp or 8mp would have been ideal and I feel like it wouldn't have made a size difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately the camera was a deal breaker for me. I had the first One and loved the phone but not the lack of zooming or blowing up pictures. A 6mp or 8mp would have been ideal and I feel like it wouldn't have made a size difference...

Doubling the MP UP would have made a huge difference on the size of the sensor.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

But enough to make the phone bigger? The camera is recessed into the phone already assuming it's the same size as the M7. I doubt it would purtrude from the phone.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Wow, GSMArena destroys HTC:

"Unfortunately, we can't avoid the elephant in the room that is the One's (M8) camera setup. After the UltraPixel backfired last year, you would've thought the company would go for a safer option this time around. Fewer but bigger instead of more but smaller pixels sounded great on paper but the company underdelivered and all the supposed advantages of the bigger pixels simply weren't there, demoting the original HTC One to an also-ran in the cameraphone race.

They are back for another round this year, but unfortunately, we doubt the same 4MP sensor will take them any further. If last year's move brought them a financial bruise or two, it's only going to get uglier this year.
You see, last year, about the time the HTC One was announced (February 2013), most competitors still had 8MP cameras with the Xperia Z being the only one with 13MP (image quality wasn't much better than an 8MP camera anyway).
The year was soon to bring a huge improvement in cameraphones though. The Lumia 1020 brought its 41 MP PureView tech to the table and Nokia followed it up with a couple of 20MP devices (Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520). The Samsung Galaxy S4, the Galaxy Note 3 and the LG G2 all came forward in 2013 with mature, high-quality 13M cameras on board. Sony went even further and by now, it has introduced not one, but three 20MP smartphones (Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact and Z2).
That's not all. Top-of-the-shelf smartphones in 2014 all record 4K video (Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, LG G Pro 2, Sony Xperia Z2). And they are certainly not kidding around, image and video quality is awesome.
And what has the HTC One got? There is an improved 4MP camera, overcomplicated hardware trickery, which is only used for the trivial task of adding image effects in post-processing, and 1080p video recording. That's all. Even last year's optical image stabilization - a key selling feature - is now gone.
We love the metal body and the gorgeous display of the old and new HTC One. But if HTC found it to be a hard sell last year, they haven't seen anything. This year, the 4MP camera will be even harder to get away with.
If you think we're too hard on the HTC One (M8) think again. Camera comparisons with the other flagships are something the One will have to deal with. And they won't be any less tough. Then again, if all your shots end up in Facebook, this might not matter all that much to you. And the new 5MP front-facer certainly can certainly do wonders for your selfies."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Wow they did slam them for it.. Hard..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.