I've got an HTC One (M8), you have questions. Fire away.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: I've got an M8, you have questions. Fire away.

Oh, any announcement concerning first party wireless charging cases from HTC? (the Dots case should have included this in my opinion)

Nope. Anything like that would have to plug into the micro USB

Posted via Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Alright Phil,

You've played with both the Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8 now. Gun to your head, which would you buy if you could only get one.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

How much can you zoom in photos taken by the dual camera, in the gallery app? Apparently I can't zoom too much with the 2013 HTC One gallery app. It's important for me.

Those phones have a 1080p display, which is 2MP (16:9) and the photos are only 4.1MP. How much do you expect to be able to zoom in them? Usually once you get to 1:1 the gallery stops zooming...

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Ok, looked a couple places, but haven't seen an answer yet.

what is the amperage output on the charging brick? TIA

I would guess its 1.5+

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Hey Phil, has the stock e-mail been updated? How does it compare to the stock (non-gmail) version on the Nexus 5? Thanks.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Hey Phil, know anything about carrier availability of the glacial silver option? Verizon is the only one offering that right now.

Alleyviper13

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I dont know if this has been asked yet but...

I bought mine today at Verizion about an hour after release.....stated they sell it with the Dot View...

Well they all looked at me crazy when i said i was buying it FULL PRICE and wanted the case. They didnt have the case.....of course.

Anways. My question is: Where is my INTERNET APP? Google Chrome is in place of where it should be on the home menu. Ive checked my entire phone and even rebooted it twice and its not on there. I fell in love with the standard Sense browser. I definitely do not want to use chrome or anything else. Paying 600 for this and im missing one tiny thing that turns out to be a huge one for me because im constantly browsing. I even "live chatted" with HTC and they suggested some stupid things as if im a 90 year old woman trying to find the app. They finally just said im stuck with Chrome.

So what happend? am i the only one?

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I dont know if this has been asked yet but...

I bought mine today at Verizion about an hour after release.....stated they sell it with the Dot View...

Well they all looked at me crazy when i said i was buying it FULL PRICE and wanted the case. They didnt have the case.....of course.

Anways. My question is: Where is my INTERNET APP? Google Chrome is in place of where it should be on the home menu. Ive checked my entire phone and even rebooted it twice and its not on there. I fell in love with the standard Sense browser. I definitely do not want to use chrome or anything else. Paying 600 for this and im missing one tiny thing that turns out to be a huge one for me because im constantly browsing. I even "live chatted" with HTC and they suggested some stupid things as if im a 90 year old woman trying to find the app. They finally just said im stuck with Chrome.

So what happend? am i the only one?

Well that's weird. Try a factory reset?

Alleyviper13

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I did!!! nothing.......very upset that its not there. I did hear that an update for US phones is coming soon.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I did!!! nothing.......very upset that its not there. I did hear that an update for US phones is coming soon.

And you've checked through apps in the settings to make sure it's not installed but hidden from the app drawer? Seems like something you could get a replacement for. You might just try Next Browser too if you don't want to mess with exchanges, it's slightly more similar in layout to the stock browser than Chrome is, and significantly faster in my experience.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Here are a few of questions:

- I can't find any confirmation about a headphone amplifier. My M7 has it and I can say it's one of those little things you can't live without after using them. It drives high end headphones with ease, something really needed if you want to take advantage of your cans.

- The M8 doesn't have OIS. One of the things I like of the M7 is that you can almost always pop up the phone and fire away without handling it tight. It prevents blurry photos when you are in a hurry. It has something to do with the great focus performance and I've read it's good as well on the M8. Would it make a difference on quick shots? The hand shake mode is something always on or is it a separate preset on the camera app?

- The camera again. On daylight shots the M7 will blow out the skies and bright areas many times. You can control this by changing the focus point but I'm wondering if this has been improved on the M8. I like to take a lot of outdoor shots and with quick ones I need to remember to change the focus point if the scene is too bright.

Thanks in advance. I'm really expecting to change my M7 for the M8 in a few months when my contract is due.

IAmCashmere_D

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Phil, first, is the 32gb version available? And if not, how much internal are you left with? Also, how's Battery life so far? (probably to early to ask)

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Hey Phil, first, is the 32gb version available? And if not, how much internal are you left with? Also, how's Battery life so far? (probably to early to ask)

10GB on the 16GB model.

Here are a few of questions:

- I can't find any confirmation about a headphone amplifier. My M7 has it and I can say it's one of those little things you can't live without after using them. It drives high end headphones with ease, something really needed if you want to take advantage of your cans.
It's there on the M8 too.

- The M8 doesn't have OIS. One of the things I like of the M7 is that you can almost always pop up the phone and fire away without handling it tight. It prevents blurry photos when you are in a hurry. It has something to do with the great focus performance and I've read it's good as well on the M8. Would it make a difference on quick shots? The hand shake mode is something always on or is it a separate preset on the camera app?
There are absolutely going to be times you'll get blurry shots because OIS isn't there. But the sensor itself (and whatever stabilizing software is behind it) compensates pretty well — unless you're actually walking and shooting in low light you'll probably be fine. In my experience OIS didn't make a whole lot of difference on the M7 anyway. Pictures from the Max and Mini, without OIS, were more or less the same.

- The camera again. On daylight shots the M7 will blow out the skies and bright areas many times. You can control this by changing the focus point but I'm wondering if this has been improved on the M8. I like to take a lot of outdoor shots and with quick ones I need to remember to change the focus point if the scene is too bright.
This is MUCH improved on the M8. No more blowout in bright scenes.

Phil,

Does the GPE M8 work on Verizon?

No.

HTC may have decided that Chrome is good enough. Or Verizon did....maybe.
Maybe it's a US or Verizon thing, because my UK version has the HTC browser ("Internet") as well as Chrome.

Grokr

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Just a small point. Is the Sense 5 weather widget now totally gone or is it still available like on the m7?

ramordep

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

any sign of horrendous purple tint on low light shooting?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12