HTC One (M8) waterproof? show video put in water?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC ONE M8 waterproof ? show video put in water?

Didn't see anything about it being waterproof in their live stream or in the specs shown on the front page

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If HTC didn't say it was water-resistant during the event, then it probably isn't. That's a feature that's definitely worth mentioning.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I don't think it's water resistant...A lot of electronics can survive some time under water, but that don't mean it's water resistant

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

bratt23

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Way to go htc, love love love this phone and the previous HTC phones. Can't wait to get one.

Posted via Android Central App

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
If it's not certified for underwater survival (which it's not), it's not. That's all there is to it. That guy may have faked it, although if I were doing that I'd fake it well and not have that weird phone rotation that's going on for some reason to raise doubt about the legitimacy. But yeah, bottom line is that it's a really bad idea to put your M8 underwater.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did nobody else see the site bubbles coming out of the phone? Where did all that water go?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Did nobody else see the site bubbles coming out of the phone? Where did all that water go?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Yea, saw that.

Electronics can get wet, it's when it creates a detrimental pathway between parts of the circuit (aka, a short) that you get problems. They may very well have taken measures to increase water resistance. It wouldn't be all that tricky, imo.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
If HTC didn't say it was water-resistant during the event, then it probably isn't. That's a feature that's definitely worth mentioning.

There is a precedent (in Japan) of HTC releasing a water-resistant phone (the HTC J, a modified-for-Japan version of the One S) without advertising it as water-resistant, simply because it didn't meet the water-resistant standards that Japanese people expected of phones, and probably not high grade enough to count as water resistant (on par with what Sony, Fujitsu, Sharp, LG, Kyocera are doing aka combinations of IPX5/6/7/8 )

It's IPX3 certified so it's only protected from water spray, really. Rain should not be an issue.

https://twitter.com/urbanstrata/status/448883968235286528

This (if it can be verified) would match what I said above. (EDIT: just saw that guy is a Communications Manager at HTC Corp.. ok good lol)

After years of Sharp and Fujitsu phones, I really miss water resistance in my HTC J One (m7) :( :(

Septiformus

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
If you pause it right before he takes it out, the phone is trying to shutdown / restart.
It looks like the water made it to the power button

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad