HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy S5?

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Simple question I need a new phone do you guys recommend the new HTC or the new galaxy. Please tell me why you made your choice!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One or Galaxy s5

What are u looking for in a phone? Both are similar yet different

I'm getting the Galaxy S5 personally cuz the camera features and water resistance

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm also kinda stuck in the same boat. After seeing the new M8 now I'm undecided on which one I'd like. :-\

xorua

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

Was a bit disappointing with the camera on m8, thinking about ordering the z2 but not sure if it works in the u.s. Also considering the s5.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm sticking with my Nexus 5 until the next Nexus, but I'd choose the S5 over the M8. There is undoubtedly -way- too much emphasis put on the build of this phone and how great it looks/feels. I have both the One and the Nexus 5 and at no point does the premium build of the One ever stand out so much so that I would choose it over the Nexus 5 based on that alone. Take away the vaunted metal design and it's really nothing that special. It's the same screen, the same camera (for the most part), 300 more mah for the battery, and a new Sense that will be available on the M7 within a month or two.

The S5 made a small change to the design, but a huge improvement to the feel of the device. They improved the camera with better hardware and software. They made it waterproof. WifI MIMO and the Download Booster are going to come in handy for big files. 4K video. They improved the screen. Still not something I'd buy coming from an S4, but between it and the M8? The S5 seems like the better phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Like S4 vs. One (M7), it looks like the Galaxy is the better "overall" phone for the mass market consumer.

IMO, of course. :)

Mika Kat

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd take the M8, I mean come on its metal gs5 is plastic. m8 looks better too. GS5 has huge bezels.

Posted via Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Simple question I need a new phone do you guys recommend the new HTC or the new galaxy. Please tell me why you made your choice!

I would go for samsung. The better camera, smaller overall footprint, and waterproof/resistant along with USB 3 make it the smarter buy for me. The camera of the one getting hit with similar complaints to last year, make me wish they bumped up the MP even to 6 would have helped. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either, but to me the boom sound isn't worth it to have that much larger a phone compared to other 5" phones on the market.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm sticking with my Nexus 5 until the next Nexus, but I'd choose the S5 over the M8. There is undoubtedly -way- too much emphasis put on the build of this phone and how great it looks/feels. I have both the One and the Nexus 5 and at no point does the premium build of the One ever stand out so much so that I would choose it over the Nexus 5 based on that alone. Take away the vaunted metal design and it's really nothing that special. It's the same screen, the same camera (for the most part), 300 more mah for the battery, and a new Sense that will be available on the M7 within a month or two.

The S5 made a small change to the design, but a huge improvement to the feel of the device. They improved the camera with better hardware and software. They made it waterproof. WifI MIMO and the Download Booster are going to come in handy for big files. 4K video. They improved the screen. Still not something I'd buy coming from an S4, but between it and the M8? The S5 seems like the better phone.

I agree 100%. Most people put phones in a case anyway, plus with plastic if you drop it, you can easily replace it without needing to send it out and wait who knows how long to get it back. Plus the plastic usually holds up better in the long run in terms of looks over the metal. Not sure what all the rave about as soon as they slap aluminum on a device it makes it so much better. I was actually hoping samsung would have went with the faux leather, but they listened to customers and got rid of the glossy, finger print magnet, plastic so that right there is a step in the right direction.

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious why it always comes back to the One vs. The Galaxy line. The Z2 looks better than both to me. I like the S5 but keep hearing about OLED degradation or burn in as some people are calling it. The Z2 seems better all around. I would be jumping on the One already if it weren't for the camera.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

It's not that the M8 is a bad phone, but reading the reviews about it today just made me laugh. These are the same people who roasted Samsung for the "GS4S", yet absolutely love the M8 like it's something new and refreshing. SD card on the S5? Garbage. SD card on the M8? Awesome. Samsung keeps a plastic design, albeit much better than the S4? Garbage. HTC puts the exact same camera on the M8 that was on the M7 and even made the front camera have higher res? "Not a big deal. Takes great shots and that's why people use DSLRs".

In my opinion, Samsung put out the better product this year, but I doubt that will be reflected in any reviews. It's just the way things are now. You build a phone with metal and the tech sites will sing your praises. Apparently that's the key to "success" now.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Get the S5. HTC sucks. Metal sucks. Camera major sucks. HTC sucks. Bezel sucks. Samsung is Android. Only upgrade from the M7 is the Flip Case with the holes in it. The M8 is the same as the M7... Just more metal, which is negated since a PLASTIC case will be slapped on it.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Gs5 huge bezels. The m8 is as tall as the note with a 5" screen. Thing is ugly.

Yeah I'm a little lost on why that hasn't been made more of a big deal. Having used a Note 3 for quite awhile, I wouldn't be alright with the height of the device if the screen was only 5". Not to mention the fact that they've mentioned how slippery it can be. For a design that gets praised more than any other before it, those are 2 sore spots that should hold more weight, but certainly won't when it comes to the reviews.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I say get the Galaxy S5, the HTC M8 sounds like a disappointment the more I hear about it.
The camera has gotten terrible reviews overall and I know one site's comparison found it was worse than ever phone from 2013. The phone is wayyy too big despite the 5" screen which feels like a huge oversight to me, and a lot of reviews I'm reading are saying it is pretty slippery which kind of takes away from the build quality.

Galaxy S5 will have a much better camera, a likely smaller build despite the larger screen, and it'll have all of Samsung's software features (Love em or hate them).

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious why it always comes back to the One vs. The Galaxy line. The Z2 looks better than both to me. I like the S5 but keep hearing about OLED degradation or burn in as some people are calling it. The Z2 seems better all around. I would be jumping on the One already if it weren't for the camera.

For me im on Verizon right now I have a note 2 and its time for an upgrade. My only android choices right now are one or s5. If you think I should be waiting for another option to come to Verizon and hold on to my note 2 id consider that option.