Can someone drop the HTC One (M8) from 3 to 5 feet and see how well the screen survive the drop?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
can someone drop the One M8 from 3 to 5 feet and see how well the screen survives the drop?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: can someone drop the One M8 from 3 to 5 feet and see how well the screen survive the drop?

I am sure if you watch YouTube drop tests will start popping up as the device is more readily available.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cmslota

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine fell out of my pocket when I was getting a haircut yesterday...slippery *******. Has a tiny tiny scuff on the bottom corner of the metal but otherwise no damage.

Posted via Android Central App

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
The thing about drop tests is that they're about as unscientific as it can get. The biggest factor in a screen breaking is when it bounces around on the edges, especially on a rough surface, and you get multiple impact points that radiate across the screen and converge. But the point is you can do a drop test for an hour and get no screen break and then drop it when you get out of bed the next morning and totally shatter it.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The thing about drop tests is that they're about as unscientific as it can get. The biggest factor in a screen breaking is when it bounces around on the edges, especially on a rough surface, and you get multiple impact points that radiate across the screen and converge. But the point is you can do a drop test for an hour and get no screen break and then drop it when you get out of bed the next morning and totally shatter it.

Yeah I saw a drop test where they dropped it from like 10ft and there wasn't a scratch

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah your right...crack incidents from dropping are totally random and unpredictable, no drop test can show what would really happen, but it does give the viewer an idea of what they can expect from dropping it

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah your right...crack incidents from dropping are totally random and unpredictable, no drop test can show what would really happen, but it does give the viewer an idea of what they can expect from dropping it
Here's an idea about what can happen to any phone dropped from any height... it can break.

Drop tests are silly.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Here's an idea about what can happen to any phone dropped from any height... it can break.

Drop tests are silly.

unless it happens to be the Panasonic ToughPad phone. :) The only reason I'm even interested in it is that it has
two front-facing speakers, just like the HTC One and One M8.

panasonic-toughpad.jpg

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Drop tests are silly.

Drop Tests are not meant to be scientific proof, but its just a simulation on what could happen if it dropped at that height. Sure you may not drop it like that, but there are many people who would accidentally drop the phone on its face at that height as in the video and the same result could possibly happen.

Drop tests are not silly, they are just not determinative

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Drop Tests are not meant to be scientific proof, but its just a simulation on what could happen if it dropped at that height. Sure you may not drop it like that, but there are many people who would accidentally drop the phone on its face at that height as in the video and the same result could possibly happen.

Drop tests are not silly, they are just not determinative
I don't mean to slag on any test you have done or info you offer to the community. More info is better than less. My point is that no two drops are going to be the same, and drop tests across devices are not reliable, so really, what's the point?

If you drop a smart phone that incorporates glass, guess what? It can break. OK, we've established that. What more can be offered? Not much.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to slag on any test you have done or info you offer to the community. More info is better than less. My point is that no two drops are going to be the same, and drop tests across devices are not reliable, so really, what's the point?

If you drop a smart phone that incorporates glass, guess what? It can break. OK, we've established that. What more can be offered? Not much.

Agreed on no two drops are the same, but it gives a general or limited idea on the strength/durability of the phone and how much it would take from that specific height, not saying that all phones dropped from that height will produce the same result, but just gives somewhat a general idea on the durability of the phone and its material

ucfgrad93

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ummm, no. Why don't you go out and buy a $640 phone and do it yourself? Some people...

Agreed. I'm sure there are plenty of videos out there already of people doing this. Just Google it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on no two drops are the same, but it gives a general or limited idea on the strength/durability of the phone and how much it would take from that specific height, not saying that all phones dropped from that height will produce the same result, but just gives somewhat a general idea on the durability of the phone and its material

It really depends on how it is dropped. If it fell on its back, then it is probably ok. If it fell on its face onto a sharp object at 5',likelihood is that any glass screen phone would crack.

If it drops on plush carpet, most likely any phone should survive a 5' drop.

If it drops 5' into water that has a strong electric current then probably there would be damage because the phone is metal and not water proof. Otoh, a plastic waterproof phone might survive better.

Unless you know the specifics of the drop test, saying that a phone survived a 3'-5' drop doesn't mean much to me.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on how it is dropped. If it fell on its back, then it is probably ok. If it fell on its face onto a sharp object at 5',likelihood is that any glass screen phone would crack.

If it drops on plush carpet, most likely any phone should survive a 5' drop.

If it drops 5' into water that has a strong electric current then probably there would be damage because the phone is metal and not water proof. Otoh, a plastic waterproof phone might survive better.

Unless you know the specifics of the drop test, saying that a phone survived a 3'-5' drop doesn't mean much to me.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Well I mean they drop it on concrete, face back, face down, and on the side... Those are the specifics Lol... At the end of the day, drop tests are not determinative

I can assure that most of the time the M8 and any other phone would scuff if it was dropped on its side on concrete

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

emma1236

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I once did this twice in a row on accident.. not from 5 feet but from ****-height. Somehow the stitching on my back pocket completely came undone on the bottom. I could put my hand clear through my back jeans pocket. Unfortunately, i did not know this.
I was walking and put my phone in my back pocket as i always do.. i hear BANG. My phone hit the pavement hard. Not a scratch. At first i assumed i just missed the pocket, so i stupidly did it again within one minute. Another loud cringing sound. You cant tell i ever dropped my phone!

My galaxy s4 on the other hand smashed at a smaller distance just falling off of my bed!

HTCs are built quite well IMO

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexitotab7