HTC One (M8) Developer Edition

Grokr

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I placed an order for the unlocked M8 on HTCs USA website. It should ship in a week or so. From what I've read this phone supports AT&Ts LTE band. But, I want to be sure before they ship it. Has anyone actually activated the unlocked or developer phone on AT&T and been able to use LTE? Is there anything special AT&T needs to do? Was AT&T willing to do it without giving you any problems? I'll be porting my number from Verizon since their coverage is horrible where I work in the buildings and they have had AT&T install repeaters in the building and others have great service with AT&T in the buildings.

Thanks.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody actually received their Dev Edition M8 yet? It's still too early, right? I'm curious about the performance difference between a carrier locked version and the unlocked or developers version without the bloat ware. I'd imagine it wouldn't be different, just more storage...right?

eLMoIsBlack

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
My M8 Dev edition hasn't arrived yet, but I'd imagine the phone is slightly less bogged down in the absence of carrier add ons. Though, that also means no wifi calling via T-Mobile; so, double edged sword. Also, you can expect faster updates with the GPE edition since you won't have to wait for Sense updates to follow the Google revisions.

Does anyone have an idea of what the availability of a stock T-Mobile ROM will be (assuming you buy a GPE/DEV edition and decide to try the carrier ROM)? How difficult would it be to get your hands on that?

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody actually received their Dev Edition M8 yet? It's still too early, right? I'm curious about the performance difference between a carrier locked version and the unlocked or developers version without the bloat ware. I'd imagine it wouldn't be different, just more storage...right?

I don't believe that the Dev Editions are shipping until 4/3. I don't think performance will be different, just less bloat and faster updates.

Grokr

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
This may seem like an obvious question but I'm new to unlocked devices and AT&T. Will I be able to use text messaging and AT&T visual voice mail on an unlocked device?

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Not sure on the developer edition. I have the AT&T version and there is a built in visual voice mail. Don't know if that is in sense 6 or just with AT&T. If not I have always used google voice for voicemail on my other unlocked devices like the Nexus 5.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping visual voicemail a part of Sense also...anyway, I ordered my Dev Ed on Sunday and I received the confirmation email. It has an order status link that says the order is being picked and will be shipped today & received tomorrow. But I was told that it's back ordered for 1-2 weeks. Has everybody's link been saying the same thing? Or is this info accurate?

mackie99

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My Amazon order shipped. Should see it in two days.

LATEST EVENT: Breinigsville PA
Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier - April 1, 2014 2:24:55 PM
SHIPMENT UPDATES VIA TEXT:
Sign-up to receive 'Shipment Updates via Text'
See Complete Tracking History
HTC One M8 - Factory Unlocked 32GB - US Warranty (Gunmetal Grey) HTC One M8 - Factory Unlocked 32GB - US Warranty (Gunmetal Grey)
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I see the same thing. I called HTC and they said its most likely going to ship out on 4/3 based on what they see in my order.

Is yours a Dev Ed or an Unlocked Version? I ask because the unlocked version in Gunmetal is the only one that the site says is "in stock". The gold DE still says back ordered.

charlieb620

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked versions shipped out yesterday so people should start receiving theirs today. The Gunmetal is in stock also. As far as Dev edition they are shipping tomorrow. I ordered the gold and will be using on T-Mobile.