HTC One (M8): Just saw the new ad with Gary Oldman

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
With Gary Oldman. WTF were they thinking? They barely show the phone and at one point Oldman stares at the screen for a good 10 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
New HTC One commercial

Anyone see the new commercial... I dig it
Thought it was a commercial for Tanqueray or something..... If you didn't see it goes like this police commissioner from Batman says blah blah blah HTC one m8 blah blah blah (the end)

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just saw the new ad with Gary Oldman

Actually thought it was quite good, the staring at the end was a bit weird, maybe cut it down to 3-5 seconds instead of however long it was, but hey, he has a good stare.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site

As I was reading this, it just came on. Its interesting, not sure what the message is. Strange it is, but I like it.

Posted via Android Central App with the HTC One

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

With Gary Oldman. WTF were they thinking? They barely show the phone and at one point Oldman stares at the screen for a good 10 seconds.

What's the point of showing the phone? They wouldn't have the proper target audience, the features that they would have shown would have been deemed gimmicks, and no one cares about metal. Seems like they used the last option available. No foul here.

Posted via Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

I was just shocked to see the ad a few hours they announced it.

They're getting there. Baby steps.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." - MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Eh... I appreciate the message they are trying to get across, as well as the humorous part but that's not how such product should be presented to general masses. You have to show and/or explain about some unique software/hardware feature, to make people want it or at least be interested enough to further research the product. Not use the generic words which can be attributed to ANY brand's product. Show more of BlinkFeed (and the level of customizations of it), show the stereo speakers (and their abilities like loudness) in some creative/humorous way, show the uniqueness and elegance of all-metal case in comparison to a "cheap plastic Fisher-Price toys" made by other brands (instead of randomly flashing the body for few seconds, forcing people to guess what kind of material it was - brushed metal or plastic), etc. ;)

I understand they are kind of restrained in terms of available funds but they should definitely find a different creative agency.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

And just swipes through the device barely looking it. I just didnt like it. As soon as I saw it, I just knew they hadnt learned one thing about marketing from last year. But on the plus side I did see it about 4-5 times last night so theres saturation at least i guess but they really need to step it up big time because that commercial just isnt going to get more people to buy it. It didnt showcase anything. I also, saw the Verizon commercial which basically just said Verizon has it on sale. I could tell that was a Verizon commercial but might as well have came from HTC as well since it didnt show case any features either. They can only get better from these I hope.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The point of the ad is a good one I think - "Who the hell cares what Gary Oldman says about a phone, he's an actor - go see what the internet is saying about the phone"

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The point of the ad is a good one I think - "Who the hell cares what Gary Oldman says about a phone, he's an actor - go see what the internet is saying about the phone"

The problem with that message is that when people go to the internet and read the reviews they will that it's a nice phone with a non-competitive camera. They should've pointed out what sets the One apart.

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I was just browsing the YouTube and found what HTC should've really done for their Ad campaign:

The clip is about Sony's model BUT it's very relevant example - it does not have too much "blah, blah, blah" or talk about various gimmicks (like built-in pedometer support or heartbeat sensors ;) It also isn't desperately trying to berate the users of other mobile platforms (like Microsoft/Nokia tried to do in a very childish way with their Lumia 920 Ads). Instead it just focuses on very basic things like "premium materials" for the body (which HTC should've definitely shown more in their Ad), improved camera with unique specifications and some useful software features (which HTC should've also done in their clip) and things like improved stereo speakers and overall sound quality (which again, what HTC should've really done in their Ad), while keeping the clip very short and making everything look very "sexy" (or at least aesthetically pleasing) and without unnecessarily overpaying some "has-been" celebrity to show his/her ugly wrinkled face in the Ad itself (just joking, I like Gary Oldman) ;)

You can even split it into several segments (if such length is unacceptable for certain TV channel or there would be a desire to expand on some particular feature). Would still be better than using simplistic jokes and/or showing irrelevant people holding the product (show some hardware/software engineers instead who actually designed the product itself, let them express their own dedication/enthusiasm about their work and let them explain why they believe the others will desire particular feature they designed).

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

The problem with that message is that when people go to the internet and read the reviews they will that it's a nice phone with a non-competitive camera. They should've pointed out what sets the One apart.

They will also see that all reviews are positive and almost every tech site says it's a great phone and worth buying.

The ads are great. Especially compared to the horrible RDJ ads last year.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

They will also see that all reviews are positive and almost every tech site says it's a great phone and worth buying.

The ads are great. Especially compared to the horrible RDJ ads last year.

How will they attract those who don't go to review sites or know that android central, phone arena, etc exist?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88