03-30-2014 06:29 AM
70 123
tools
    I will be skipping this phone primarily because of the camera and battery size. I had the m7 and minus low light shots the camera was pretty mediocre. And I'm pretty sure if lg could fit a 3000mah battery into a smaller package HTC could have used something larger than 2600mah. While I understand HTC has the power saving mode. I don't want to rely on that to get great battery life I simply want to unplug my phone and use it all day without issue. Don't think this phone will enable that.
    The battery life of the M8 far exceeds that of the G2.

Posted via Android Central App
    smooth3006 likes this.
    03-26-2014 03:30 PM
    I've had and used the HTC One,S3,S4,N5,N4 and they are all very good to great phones. But I am staying with my LGG2. It has the biggest screen in the smallest,lightest package. It has an awesome camera ( using Jishnu's Camera mod),the best battery life I've ever had on a smartphone. The M8 and S5 look like really good phones but they aren't that much of an improvement over the LGG2
    I just recently stopped by a Sprint store and when I came across the G2, I was very impressed! I can't wait to see what they do with the G3! Might possibly be my next device this year.
    03-26-2014 03:33 PM

Have you had extensive use with both devices to make such judgement?
    03-26-2014 03:34 PM
    Have you had extensive use with both devices to make such judgement?
    I'd made that statement based on a battery rundown test performed by PhoneArena.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-O...urance_id54352

03-26-2014 03:37 PM
    I'd made that statement based on a battery rundown test performed by PhoneArena.

HTC One (M8) battery life test: excellent endurance

Based on that test, I wouldn't say it far exceeds the G2 either.
    Habiib and Topgonzo like this.
    03-26-2014 03:40 PM

This may be true but I'd have to see it with my own eyes to believe it. G2 battery is awesome

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    markbc and Habiib like this.
    03-26-2014 04:58 PM

Well then the battery on the M8 must be a killer because I can get almost 2 full days on my G2. I think the camera on the G2 is probably a little better also
    Habiib likes this.
    03-26-2014 05:11 PM
    I would be looking at the Google Play Edition...and that starts at $700US...2x the price of the Nexus 5. I like what I've seen of the M8 but is it 2x better than the Nexus 5?? I'm gonna have to go with NO on that one.

via the tablet
    Yeah, that pricing is insane. However, its purely because google isn't about to subsidise a non-nexus device like it does the N5. HTC certainly wouldn't be willing to take the hit either, especially given their financial state, and thus the GPe phones will remain the same price as off-contract retail versions.

03-26-2014 05:53 PM
    Yeah, that pricing is insane. However, its purely because google isn't about to subsidise a non-nexus device like it does the N5. HTC certainly wouldn't be willing to take the hit either, especially given their financial state, and thus the GPe phones will remain the same price as off-contract retail versions.

So, why would anyone buy a off-contract retail version?

via the tablet
    03-26-2014 07:00 PM

via the tablet
    Tmobile users who actually want something different and not plain Jane "vanilla" Android I guess
    03-27-2014 12:28 AM
    That's a fair assessment OP.

The phone is quite pricey, but here (in Australia anyway), it's only now just being around the same price that Samsung and Apple flagship phones are. So I don't consider it them jacking the price up for no reason, but rather them putting themselves on the same playing field as other OEM's.

Luckily our OEM's don't add too much junk to phones these days. There was a time a little while back when we'd get pretty much an app page of garbage, but now it's cut back to like 2 or 3 apps. Unbranded versions of course don't have such apps.

I agree with the colours. It's a shame that all three (or 4....whatever happened to the dark/charcoal looking M8?) colours won't be available at launch. From what I hear, the new gunmetal grey, brushed aluminium model looks better than the silver and gold one in person anyway. I'll have to wait to see it in person, but if it looks good, I'll still get it.
    03-27-2014 01:11 AM

via the tablet

I am going to the ATT off contract price is only 649.00 not 700.00 like the Google play edition even the unlocked and dev editions on HTC"s site are only 649.00 somethings up with that GPE stuff. IJS
    03-27-2014 02:47 AM
    The OP makes valid points with the price of the phones. If you are going to buy off contract, it is difficult to justify purchasing at full price (unless you are selling a current device to offset the cost) when you have other options that are a lot cheaper. Like another poster said, all of these devices coming out are almost double the price of the Nexus 5, but they are only slightly better and in some cases, I don't believe they are better than the Nexus 5. So it is difficult to justify buying a new smartphone unless you are just a phone addict and want a new toy at all costs.
    03-27-2014 05:57 AM
    So it is difficult to justify buying a new smartphone unless you are just a phone addict and want a new toy at all costs.
    I'm trying to stay strong, here.

Must... not... buy...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    cgardnervt likes this.
    03-27-2014 06:31 AM
    got my at&t varient and i love it, fast, no hiccups. already htc dev unlockable and rooted. custom roms on night one. which means aosp and GPE roms will come. the lcd is beautiful and the camera is much better than my nexus 5. im happy with my purchase. i personally think this phone is getting bashed too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Must... not... buy...

just do it!
    03-27-2014 06:47 AM
    got my at&t varient and i love it, fast, no hiccups. already htc dev unlockable and rooted. custom roms on night one. which means aosp and GPE roms will come. the lcd is beautiful and the camera is much better than my nexus 5. im happy with my purchase. i personally think this phone is getting bashed too much.

- - - Updated - - -

just do it!
    So far I have fought the urge as well! Now if they offered a GPe for the monthly payments I might do it.
    03-27-2014 07:51 AM

Must... not... buy...

Lol. It's hard to do sometimes. I think that it is even harder now that manufacturers aren't coming out with as many devices as they used to anymore. So the hype around these flagship devices have gotten greater.
    03-27-2014 08:17 AM
    I'm not buying the M8 because I feel like I spent to much money last year on electronics... 2013 in January I bought the first generation iPad mini , then in June I got the M7 upgraded from my blackberry bold 9900 (Which I still miss but just couldn't get with BB10) then in September I bought a new PC because my old one was 7 years old and still running Windows Vista.. So, I'm going to chill this year and save money the M8 is nice but not enough for me to break my will of saving money!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    03-27-2014 07:09 PM
    So far I have fought the urge as well! Now if they offered a GPe for the monthly payments I might do it.
    Just get a credit card with a 0% apr for the first 12months/24mo promo and you're set! lol
    03-27-2014 07:30 PM
    I'm not buying the M8 because I feel like I spent to much money last year on electronics... 2013 in January I bought the first generation iPad mini , then in June I got the M7 upgraded from my blackberry bold 9900 (Which I still miss but just couldn't get with BB10) then in September I bought a new PC because my old one was 7 years old and still running Windows Vista.. So, I'm going to chill this year and save money the M8 is nice but not enough for me to break my will of saving money!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Or don't stop you're flow of purchasing the newest tech lol
    03-27-2014 07:32 PM
    Once they come out with a mini version I will probably buy it right away

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    03-27-2014 07:49 PM
    PS your reasoning is pretty much because you can't afford it not anything that has to do with the phone. Misleading

03-27-2014 07:50 PM
    One word...h3r3sy!

/jk

via the tablet
    Lol a LOT had changed in tech over the last 2 years. The htc rezound was out less than 2 years ago, it may not be the eye scanning incremental improvements you want to see but smart phones have gotten so advanced in this little amount of time. Any phone you buy now days is worth the $600

03-27-2014 07:53 PM
    Can't get onboard with the fact that HTC made the M8 taller than the M7. And I'm not a fan of the duo camera look. Should be a hell of a phone, but I'm going to keep my M7 around for now.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    03-27-2014 08:07 PM
    Not to repeat myself, but...

If you bought a phone from last year, these new phones are really side grades.

The benefits are minor.

I rather save the money and wait to see what the Android Wear is going to be price wise.
    03-27-2014 08:38 PM
70 123