03-30-2014 06:29 AM
70 123
tools
    HTC did it again! They will be releasing another great device. I for one love my current HTC One. However I will be forced to skip this one I think. Here are my main reasons.

1) My #1 reason is pricing. Its just to much money. I have been buying a new phone every single year now and I think its time to slow down. We need to see phones drop in price. However I understand HTC needs to make money at the same time. But for me its just to much.

2) Carrier versions will just suck...Plain and simple. Fault of HTC? Not really. Att will have bloatware, stand in the way of timely updates (Granted they have gotten better) and so on...Missing the battery saver mode already is just one GREAT example! :P

3) I Wanted more colors but the gray was good looking.

So while I will skip out on it for my own personal reasons I still look forward to hearing from the other AC user base with how awesome the phone is! Until I need a new phone I will sit back and let my jealous rage on! :P
    As long as subsidies are involved phone prices won't drop. Once all carriers go the TMO, full price route, it will no longer be beneficial for carriers to subsidize the phones and full retail will drop. Carriers control too much now which is why we see inflated prices.
    03-27-2014 09:07 PM
    Can't get onboard with the fact that HTC made the M8 taller than the M7. And I'm not a fan of the duo camera look. Should be a hell of a phone, but I'm going to keep my M7 around for now.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    How much taller is it and how often do you look at the back of your device when using it?
    03-27-2014 09:08 PM
    HTC did it again! They will be releasing another great device. I for one love my current HTC One. However I will be forced to skip this one I think. Here are my main reasons.

1) My #1 reason is pricing. Its just to much money. I have been buying a new phone every single year now and I think its time to slow down. We need to see phones drop in price. However I understand HTC needs to make money at the same time. But for me its just to much.

2) Carrier versions will just suck...Plain and simple. Fault of HTC? Not really. Att will have bloatware, stand in the way of timely updates (Granted they have gotten better) and so on...Missing the battery saver mode already is just one GREAT example! :P

3) I Wanted more colors but the gray was good looking.

So while I will skip out on it for my own personal reasons I still look forward to hearing from the other AC user base with how awesome the phone is! Until I need a new phone I will sit back and let my jealous rage on! :P
    I think pricing is very good considering the quality. Very reasonable price.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    03-27-2014 10:07 PM
    I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available. Kinda like a 2 year marriage I guess.

via the tablet
    that was a good one, lol

Posted via Android Central App
    03-27-2014 10:19 PM
    Absolutely beautiful phone with fantastic specs...........outside of the camera. That will be my reason for skipping this phone right now.
    03-27-2014 10:55 PM
    How much taller is it and how often do you look at the back of your device when using it?
    It's 9mm taller. I already think the M7 is pushing limits for how tall I like a phone to be. And regardless of how much I look at the back of the phone, I still want it to look good. That duo camera just doesn't look right to me.

Sent from my HTC One
    03-27-2014 11:11 PM
    I read your reasons, but few here are accurate. I have access to any phone verizon sells and just picked up the M8 today. Big difference. Big. I just switched from using the Moto Maxx, S4, htc one, Note 3, LG G2... Even dabbled in several Windows Mobile phones and two of the new Blackberry phones....nothing (not even iPhone) compares to the M8. It's worth the money, stop with that. Either save your money, stop spending on dumb things for a couple weeks or maybe join the Edge (or similar) program. HTC M8 is the real deal. So smooth, well designed and matured, you would be truly missing out on what all of us have been slamming previous smartphones for not delivering.perfection.

Or keep making excuses....your choice.
    03-27-2014 11:51 PM
    Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. There's no reason whatsoever for the discussion to take a personal tone.

I suggest that those participating here acquaint themselves with the forum rules. Personal attacks, insults, or trolling will not be tolerated. Any violations of the forum rules will be dealt with accordingly.

Have an enjoyable and productive discussion. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    03-28-2014 12:03 AM
    As long as subsidies are involved phone prices won't drop. Once all carriers go the TMO, full price route, it will no longer be beneficial for carriers to subsidize the phones and full retail will drop. Carriers control too much now which is why we see inflated prices.
    I doubt that we will see a large drop on high end popular smartphones, since in many other countries, they don't have the subsidized phones yet prices are sometimes higher than USA. I personally like the subsidized option as it works for me. And there are usually steeper sales on contract. I got the note 3 for $90 on release day. The one was $70 when you buy two on release day. I doubt that you would see a $130-210 discount on off contract pricing on release day for popular smartphones

To answer the original question, I want a phone with a large screen, so I see no reason to move from my note 3 to one.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    03-28-2014 12:15 AM
    Will probably skip this one not because the M8 is bad (it's actually pretty amazing), but because I love my M7 way too much! Heck, it's not even a year old yet. (It'll be celebrating it's first birthday in July)

That said, HTC did it again! Another great device! Better in almost every way compared to the M7, apart from the camera. It's not terrible, just underwhelming in 2014.

IMO, both the S5 and One M8 are great phones, but I have a suspicion that the real crowd-pleaser will either be from LG or Moto's Project Ara.
    coronaboy10 and paul-c like this.
    03-28-2014 05:19 AM
    I went to Verizon played around with m8 for about 10 minutes. Phone operation was great I will probably skip it due to the height of phone due to the speakers. I rarely even listen to a phone out loud. Its a half inch taller than my Maxx.

03-28-2014 06:39 AM
    HTC is so close to getting my money. Please, please, please drop UltraPixel though and rejoin the real world. I'm not saying you need to stuff 20mp into a camera, but bring in tested technology like OIS and ditch UltraPixel. I appreciate HTC's efforts to do something bold but the camera is going to be a real deal-breaker for many.

And for those who say 'specs don't matter,' I must disagree. Most customers considering the GS5 and One M8 are going to see 16mp and 4mp. More megapixels doesn't mean better photos, except when it does. And this is absolutely one of those cases.

I don't blame any current One or GS4 owners for waiting until next year to think about switching.

03-28-2014 10:13 AM
    I liked the HTC One last year except for battery life and camera. I am tempted by this phone but there are three things that will probably keep me from buying it:

1. Camera is still not very good. For me, my phone camera ends up being the one that I use the most.

2. I would want to get the GPE and $700 is just ridiculous.

3. I have not seen one in person yet but I did a phone size comparison that phonearena has (Visual Phone Size Comparison) and it is way too tall for only being a 5" screen. If you compare it to the Note 3, it is barely shorter. If I'm going to carry a phone around this big, it better have a bigger screen.
    03-28-2014 12:08 PM
    I liked the HTC One last year except for battery life and camera. I am tempted by this phone but there are three things that will probably keep me from buying it:

1. Camera is still not very good. For me, my phone camera ends up being the one that I use the most.

2. I would want to get the GPE and $700 is just ridiculous.

3. I have not seen one in person yet but I did a phone size comparison that phonearena has (Visual Phone Size Comparison) and it is way too tall for only being a 5" screen. If you compare it to the Note 3, it is barely shorter. If I'm going to carry a phone around this big, it better have a bigger screen.
    I have to agree. As sliq as the M8 seems I can't see what would make it worth $300-$350 more than the Nexus 5...as I've noted previously.

via one of the t@blets
    03-28-2014 12:20 PM
    First of all it looks like a great phone and I bet my wife will have it soon. For me I won't be getting it because of the camera. regardless of what the camera snobs say megapixels do seem to matter. I took better pics with my One X than my wife's HTC One.
    03-28-2014 12:49 PM
    First of all it looks like a great phone and I bet my wife will have it soon. For me I won't be getting it because of the camera. regardless of what the camera snobs say megapixels do seem to matter. I took better pics with my One X than my wife's HTC One.
    My girlfriend has an HTC One X a well and I have the One. Each of them take better pictures than each other depending on what your looking for. Good luck in low lighting with the One X! :P Otherwise they are about the same for me. IMO anyways.
    03-29-2014 06:38 AM
    I can't wait for the Samsung Galaxy S329. When it comes with a 1,000 mega mega trillion quadrillion pixel camera. Neato!
    Honestly though I will say the camera on the HTC One M8 is just fine. I've had the 4/5 mp phones when they were out, and they looked low quality without question. This phone looks better than 8mp. I took a step back and thought the ultra pixel technology works. Granted the focus may take a bit, other times it works great. I promise guys, the camera is nice, and combined with the other specs, it's a fun phone.

icenija likes this.
    03-29-2014 08:48 AM
    I can't wait for the Samsung Galaxy S329. When it comes with a 1,000 mega mega trillion quadrillion pixel camera. Neato!
    Honestly though I will say the camera on the HTC One M8 is just fine. I've had the 4/5 mp phones when they were out, and they looked low quality without question. This phone looks better than 8mp. I took a step back and thought the ultra pixel technology works. Granted the focus may take a bit, other times it works great. I promise guys, the camera is nice, and combined with the other specs, it's a fun phone.

I'm surprised that there are so many that are stuck on the camera. I really do think that this is a subjective area. I remember when I bought my Galaxy Nexus, there was so much talk about how the camera was horrible. I loved it. I took great photos (some of my best actually). The same was said when I bought my Nexus 4. But I liked the camera with that as well. Now I have the Nexus 5 and my photos are stellar. They are even better than the photos that I have taken with my iPhone 5S and the iPhone camera is usually touted as one of the best. So either I have no idea what a good photo is (which is possible, I'm not a photographer by any stretch) or cameras on smartphones are better than we give them credit for. One last thing, I remember when the M7 came out last year, initially, reviewers raved about the camera. Now a year later, it seems to be popular to bash the camera even though it has supposedly gotten better. Go figure.
    03-29-2014 12:55 PM
    I went to the Verizon store to see it in person. (I'm a Sprint customer.) I have and love my EVO 4G LTE. I was expecting this huge Samsung looking device. It is just a tiny bit longer than my EVO. It may be slightly thinner and is basically the exact same width.

Here's the rub. The usable screen space is actually smaller than my EVO. That's a bummer. I was hoping for a small increase in screen space. Yes I know watching videos or playing games the screen should be a little bigger but for 95% of what I do the screen is smaller.

Not sure what I'm going to do. It's just that screen size being smaller than what I got a couple of years ago bugs me. My current EVO is great and works perfectly. Do I need to drop the cash to get this? I'll think about it.
    03-29-2014 01:23 PM
    Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)-imag0006.jpg

i dunno, this looks pretty acceptable to me. no flash in a dim bar. (the beer was also pretty good)

as for on screen buttons, i'd get used to it or buy only samsung phones, because that's the way every other oem is headed. there's a couple apps that will enable immersive mode for any app you want as well.
    ErnstMach likes this.
    03-30-2014 06:29 AM
70 123