Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
HTC did it again! They will be releasing another great device. I for one love my current HTC One. However I will be forced to skip this one I think. Here are my main reasons.

1) My #1 reason is pricing. Its just to much money. I have been buying a new phone every single year now and I think its time to slow down. We need to see phones drop in price. However I understand HTC needs to make money at the same time. But for me its just to much.

2) Carrier versions will just suck...Plain and simple. Fault of HTC? Not really. Att will have bloatware, stand in the way of timely updates (Granted they have gotten better) and so on...Missing the battery saver mode already is just one GREAT example! :p

3) I Wanted more colors but the gray was good looking.

So while I will skip out on it for my own personal reasons I still look forward to hearing from the other AC user base with how awesome the phone is! Until I need a new phone I will sit back and let my jealous rage on! :p

Last edited:

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate your honest assessment. I too will not be buying the M8 (at least right away). This is because I anticipate that other color options are coming later and the possibility of a follow-up to the One Max. In my opinion, all of the hardware upgrades are welcome, along with the Sense optimizations.

Posted via Android Central App

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
For some of the core HTC apps, they are moving them to the Google Play, so they can be updated without carrier intervention and the standard OTA process.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
For some of the core HTC apps, they are moving them to the Google Play, so they can be updated without carrier intervention and the standard OTA process.

Oh I heard that as well. Its just to much of a "stand in the way" still for me. While I'm happy to see HTC make some changes to help its just not enough to push me over the edge to run out and buy it. (Not from a carrier anyways)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh I heard that as well. Its just to much of a "stand in the way" still for me. While I'm happy to see HTC make some changes to help its just not enough to push me over the edge to run out and buy it. (Not from a carrier anyways)

I believe there is a GPe. Granted you are paying full price for it, but at least your updates will be faster.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

If I were in your position I would probably think the same, since you have the M7. Buying off contract at retail pricing is a lot to swallow.

I also would like a cyan blue like they did last year with international variants, but I like the gray over black this year too =\

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would be looking at the Google Play Edition...and that starts at $700US...2x the price of the Nexus 5. I like what I've seen of the M8 but is it 2x better than the Nexus 5?? I'm gonna have to go with NO on that one.

via the tablet

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm thrilled they are following the path of Motorola and doing this. My Moto X has constantly gotten better due to the steady stream of updates through the Play Store. HTC is very smart to do this, since it cuts the carrier out of the process for updates to key apps.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
If I had an M7, I wouldn't upgrade either. Not enough in the M8 to switch, plus some firmware in the M8 is going on the M7 anyways.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
They need to drop the price because you won't buy it because you buy too many new phones? Ok....... Oh and they also don't have the colors you want,lmao

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
HTC did it again! They will be releasing another great device. I for one love my current HTC One. However I will be forced to skip this one I think. Here are my main reasons.

1) My #1 reason is pricing. Its just to much money. I have been buying a new phone every single year now and I think its time to slow down. We need to see phones drop in price. However I understand HTC needs to make money at the same time. But for me its just to much.

2) Carrier versions will just suck...Plain and simple. Fault of HTC? Not really. Att will have bloatware, stand in the way of timely updates (Granted they have gotten better) and so on...Missing the battery saver mode already is just one GREAT example! :p

3) I Wanted more colors but the gray was good looking.

So while I will skip out on it for my own personal reasons I still look forward to hearing from the other AC user base with how awesome the phone is! Until I need a new phone I will sit back and let my jealous rage on! :p

Sounds like good reasons not to buy ANY phone right now. I don't get caught up in the phone geek thing. Every two years I find the best phone available and buy it. That's why I'm buying the new One.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
They need to drop the price because you won't buy it because you buy too many new phones? Ok....... Oh and they also don't have the colors you want,lmao

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

Yes so I will skip over this version of the One. But keep in mind that this is my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree with me.

Sounds like good reasons not to buy ANY phone right now. I don't get caught up in the phone geek thing. Every two years I find the best phone available and buy it. That's why I'm buying the new One.

Sounds like a great choice! I'm sure you will get a good 2 years out of it. Still jealous! :D

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available. Kinda like a 2 year marriage I guess.

via the tablet

therealbertho

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm skipping it partly because of the price (though I could do installments through Sprint, but my wife's already got her LG G2 on that) and partly because most of the software enhancements will make it to my M7 in the future. That said, I really like the dual camera thing, and that's really the only thing I'd consider upgrading for. Depth of field is desperately needed on camera phones to get them to really start approaching real cameras.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available.
via the tablet
Personally, I would find switching phones in less than 2 years to be nothing but annoying, between the transferring, learning a new layout, etc. Even though I use it for my business, the phone itself is not a big enough part of my life that I enjoy the process. In honesty, not much has changed in tech over the last two years and if it weren't for the fact that I find the sound on the original One X to be too quiet, I'd probably stick with that one for another two years.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I would find switching phones in less than 2 years to be nothing but annoying, between the transferring, learning a new layout, etc. Even though I use it for my business, the phone itself is not a big enough part of my life that I enjoy the process. In honesty, not much has changed in tech over the last two years and if it weren't for the fact that I find the sound on the original One X to be too quiet, I'd probably stick with that one for another two years.

One word...h3r3sy!

/jk

via the tablet

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available. Kinda like a 2 year marriage I guess.

via the tablet

I buy tablets in between to keep myself occupied lol. Although I'm contemplating just doing the phone lease thing since don't touch my previous phones anyway when I get a new one :/

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As someone who has had the flagship phone at or around launch on Sprint/Nextel for the last 10-12 years, I too will forego the new One unless something happens to my M7. There are two main reasons for me:

1. There really isn't anything that M7 can't do that leaves me wanting. Performance, storage, and screen are all top notch to me. I simply don't have that feeling that the phone is dated like I did after a year with Evo line. Extended battery life is always welcome, but a 15-20% increase alone doesn't warrant a new phone for me.

2. Android itself seems to be slowing down. For the past five years you needed a new phone to handle the latest iteration of Android which offered big steps as far as features and performance. Recently going from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, it's become apparent that Android, at least for the near future, will just be refined and any major functionality upgrades will be rare.

I'm sure it's an upgrade to the M7, but I can't justify paying money for it.

DrJay1

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Talking about carrier models - it is my understanding that phones sold by Verizon are required to be unlocked. Am I misinformed?