Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
As someone who has had the flagship phone at or around launch on Sprint/Nextel for the last 10-12 years, I too will forego the new One unless something happens to my M7. There are two main reasons for me:

1. There really isn't anything that M7 can't do that leaves me wanting. Performance, storage, and screen are all top notch to me. I simply don't have that feeling that the phone is dated like I did after a year with Evo line. Extended battery life is always welcome, but a 15-20% increase alone doesn't warrant a new phone for me.

2. Android itself seems to be slowing down. For the past five years you needed a new phone to handle the latest iteration of Android which offered big steps as far as features and performance. Recently going from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, it's become apparent that Android, at least for the near future, will just be refined and any major functionality upgrades will be rare.

I'm sure it's an upgrade to the M7, but I can't justify paying money for it.

Amen. Sticking with my One for another year. Sense 6 should breathe some new life into it. Crossing my fingers to get the double-tap to unlock feature.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just get the Google version if you dont want the bloatware?

To me personally its just not worth the price for its investment for what you get. While its a great device I just can not spend that type of money on a device going forward in my mind. So the M7 will hold me over until later unless I break it then of course I will look at what avenue to take.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I'm not buying the new One is the size. I really don't want a taller phone. I currently switch between a LG G2 and iPhone 5S (and sometimes my DNA). I really wish I could get the specs of the M8 (or any flagship phone) in a 4.3" - 4.5" screen.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I will be skipping this phone primarily because of the camera and battery size. I had the m7 and minus low light shots the camera was pretty mediocre. And I'm pretty sure if lg could fit a 3000mah battery into a smaller package HTC could have used something larger than 2600mah. While I understand HTC has the power saving mode. I don't want to rely on that to get great battery life I simply want to unplug my phone and use it all day without issue. Don't think this phone will enable that.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had and used the HTC One,S3,S4,N5,N4 and they are all very good to great phones. But I am staying with my LGG2. It has the biggest screen in the smallest,lightest package. It has an awesome camera ( using Jishnu's Camera mod),the best battery life I've ever had on a smartphone. The M8 and S5 look like really good phones but they aren't that much of an improvement over the LGG2

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I will be skipping this phone primarily because of the camera and battery size. I had the m7 and minus low light shots the camera was pretty mediocre. And I'm pretty sure if lg could fit a 3000mah battery into a smaller package HTC could have used something larger than 2600mah. While I understand HTC has the power saving mode. I don't want to rely on that to get great battery life I simply want to unplug my phone and use it all day without issue. Don't think this phone will enable that.

The battery life of the M8 far exceeds that of the G2.

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had and used the HTC One,S3,S4,N5,N4 and they are all very good to great phones. But I am staying with my LGG2. It has the biggest screen in the smallest,lightest package. It has an awesome camera ( using Jishnu's Camera mod),the best battery life I've ever had on a smartphone. The M8 and S5 look like really good phones but they aren't that much of an improvement over the LGG2

I just recently stopped by a Sprint store and when I came across the G2, I was very impressed! I can't wait to see what they do with the G3! Might possibly be my next device this year.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

This may be true but I'd have to see it with my own eyes to believe it. G2 battery is awesome

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

Well then the battery on the M8 must be a killer because I can get almost 2 full days on my G2. I think the camera on the G2 is probably a little better also

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I would be looking at the Google Play Edition...and that starts at $700US...2x the price of the Nexus 5. I like what I've seen of the M8 but is it 2x better than the Nexus 5?? I'm gonna have to go with NO on that one.

via the tablet

Yeah, that pricing is insane. However, its purely because google isn't about to subsidise a non-nexus device like it does the N5. HTC certainly wouldn't be willing to take the hit either, especially given their financial state, and thus the GPe phones will remain the same price as off-contract retail versions.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that pricing is insane. However, its purely because google isn't about to subsidise a non-nexus device like it does the N5. HTC certainly wouldn't be willing to take the hit either, especially given their financial state, and thus the GPe phones will remain the same price as off-contract retail versions.

So, why would anyone buy a off-contract retail version?

via the tablet

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That's a fair assessment OP.

The phone is quite pricey, but here (in Australia anyway), it's only now just being around the same price that Samsung and Apple flagship phones are. So I don't consider it them jacking the price up for no reason, but rather them putting themselves on the same playing field as other OEM's.

Luckily our OEM's don't add too much junk to phones these days. There was a time a little while back when we'd get pretty much an app page of garbage, but now it's cut back to like 2 or 3 apps. Unbranded versions of course don't have such apps.

I agree with the colours. It's a shame that all three (or 4....whatever happened to the dark/charcoal looking M8?) colours won't be available at launch. From what I hear, the new gunmetal grey, brushed aluminium model looks better than the silver and gold one in person anyway. I'll have to wait to see it in person, but if it looks good, I'll still get it.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
So, why would anyone buy a off-contract retail version?

via the tablet

I am going to the ATT off contract price is only 649.00 not 700.00 like the Google play edition even the unlocked and dev editions on HTC"s site are only 649.00 somethings up with that GPE stuff. IJS

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The OP makes valid points with the price of the phones. If you are going to buy off contract, it is difficult to justify purchasing at full price (unless you are selling a current device to offset the cost) when you have other options that are a lot cheaper. Like another poster said, all of these devices coming out are almost double the price of the Nexus 5, but they are only slightly better and in some cases, I don't believe they are better than the Nexus 5. So it is difficult to justify buying a new smartphone unless you are just a phone addict and want a new toy at all costs.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
got my at&t varient and i love it, fast, no hiccups. already htc dev unlockable and rooted. custom roms on night one. which means aosp and GPE roms will come. the lcd is beautiful and the camera is much better than my nexus 5. im happy with my purchase. i personally think this phone is getting bashed too much.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to stay strong, here.

Must... not... buy...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

just do it!