Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
In not entirely sure what text reflow is but I'll look for it. I'm using HTC browser as default now.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8

When you zoom into text on a webpage, the text will reformat to fit the space perfectly so you don't have to pan left or right. It is a neat feature that I haven't used in years because I prefer the Chrome browser.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

Chrome comes from Google, but most of you are saying that Chrome is not a "Stock" browser.... LOL!!!

Ever since Chrome came out of it's beta for Android, on almost every Android device I have owned Chrome was at that point the ONLY browser... except maybe the S4 I currently own, but personally I like Chrome over the S4's "Stock" browser any day of the week or year. Just my opinion.

Agreed

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

dmack0706

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was ticked at first and hard reset a few times thinking since I went Online you can see old stock browsers on other M8. Lost some messages and was really ticked,was even thinking about getting my M7 back. But played with chrome for a hour or so and learned how to set it up and know I'm happy to use chrome. like it better then old stock browser which didn't have flash ether.

You can link your phone up to your computer by Bluetooth and send all your bookmarks automatically from computer to phone on chrome its kind of slick.

From the one M8

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Chrome is better than stock browser imo. The fact that I can sync with my chrome on my computer is awesome.

Sent from my HTC One M8

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This is why I started getting used to Chrome (mobile), Hangouts and so on for stock apps. In case companies switch over to them! Not to say other apps are not the same but I like the true stock feel.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This is why I started getting used to Chrome (mobile), Hangouts and so on for stock apps. In case companies switch over to them! Not to say other apps are not the same but I like the true stock feel.

So if I used Hangouts for my default messaging app (SMS and MMS), does that mean when I switch phones, which I do frequently, I just need to install Hangouts on it and all my messages are there?

dwainew

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Vzw store the day M8 came out and discovered it had no HTC browser and NO text reflow in chrome.
I left Vzw 9 months ago due to the games they play with phone makers. Went to AT&T to get my M7 with FM radio included and never looked back.
The first thing I noticed was that my phone battery lasts at least 50% longer on gsm. CDMA is a juice sucker.
I will get the ATT version since it is not crippled - only went to Vzw to see the M8 initially.
Chrome would be cool if you actually use Chrome on your desktop - I don't.
Vzw Chrome did have a way to turn on flash and in the store M8 was BoGo for the first week.
For what it's worth, Dolphin browser does not work on my M7 - tried it just to see.
Most web addresses simply fail and won't load. I did find that Dolphin Zero browser worked - again, tried it just to see.
I will keep using my HTC browser.

htciscool7

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Chrome is the best browser for android period . Just have to learn the functions on it i.e. hold down on something to download etc.. Btw it is the best optimized for android in my opinion.

x25064

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Check out a browser called UC Browser HD. It is the most fully functional browser I have found on android. IMO its a thousand times better than chrome. It claims to have flash support (have not tried to verify) and has all of the features you are looking for, incuding some new ones like the ios7 swipe left and right to move forward and backward while browsing (coming from ios7 this was huge). It works flawlessly on the HTC M8.

My only gripe about it, is that it uses its own native video player for any video content - Rather than launching the HTC video player or the youtube app on youtube links.