HTC One (M8) unlocked version?

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello i have a question, I have T Mobile and i was planning on getting the htc m8 when it released for T Mobile on April 11. But when i looked at the htc website i stumbled upon a unlocked version of the htc m8. So i am thinking why not get the unlocked so i dont have to deal with T Mobile bloat ware on it. So my question is will the unlocked htc m8 work on T Mobile?

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Schulz

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: htc one M8 unlocked version?

I would like to second this question. Both HTC and Amazon are selling unlocked versions, but its less than clear if we can use them with Tmo.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully someone on the forums know for sure because with a $650 price tag it is not worth gambling on.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

so since the phone has been out for a while now has anyone figure out my question yet. Please and thank you.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe it will. When I ordered my unlocked version for HTC, I believe it asked which carrier but ordered the right unlocked one for you.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I believe it will. When I ordered my unlocked version for HTC, I believe it asked which carrier but ordered the right unlocked one for you.

IS there any advantages of getting an unlocked one? And is there any carrier bloat ware?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
IS there any advantages of getting an unlocked one? And is there any carrier bloat ware?

Sure there are advantages, and the elimination of carrier bloatware is only one of them. Jerry had a great write up about this back on Apr 2. Here is link to that article, and below is summary:

1. No carrier bloatware
  2. Quicker updates from HTC
  3. No issues getting your carrier to unlock later on
  4. Access to the bootloader (if you care)
  5. No external branding (if you care)
  6. Freedom to use other networks when traveling abroad
  7. Features (as in carriers can't disable them)
  8. Prepaid service options
  9. Carriers can't block/ignore updates
  10. No contract required

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Sure there are advantages, and the elimination of carrier bloatware is only one of them. Jerry had a great write up about this back on Apr 2. Here is link to that article, and below is summary:

1. No carrier bloatware
  2. Quicker updates from HTC
  3. No issues getting your carrier to unlock later on
  4. Access to the bootloader (if you care)
  5. No external branding (if you care)
  6. Freedom to use other networks when traveling abroad
  7. Features (as in carriers can't disable them)
  8. Prepaid service options
  9. Carriers can't block/ignore updates
  10. No contract required
Thank you for the detailed summary those features are great. my other question is that are the speeds the same for the mobile network? For example i have t-mobile do i get the same speed from t-mobile internet with the unlocked version compared to the t-mobile version?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the detailed summary those features are great. my other question is that are the speeds the same for the mobile network? For example i have t-mobile do i get the same speed from t-mobile internet with the unlocked version compared to the t-mobile version?

Should be no difference in the bands.

BlackAce

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Unlocked M8 4 days ago and I was wondering what everyone's software version was. Mine is 1.12.1540.17. I ask because i don't see Extreme Power saving mode on my M8. Had one person I knw on version 1.54.401.3...and i tried to update but it says im up to date.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Should be no difference in the bands.

This statement is inaccurate. The Developer and Unlocked versions DO NOT support the AWS 3G/HSPA on T-Mobile unless you live in a refarmed 1900 area. They do however, support the AWS LTE bands which T-Mobile uses. So if you don't live in a refarmed area, you will only get 2G or LTE. The Google Play Edition, however does support the T-Mobile AWS on 3G.

Just get the T-Mobile version, unlock the bootloader and install the Android Revolution ROM or just disable the T-Mobile bloat. It's not that hard.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
This statement is inaccurate. The Developer and Unlocked versions DO NOT support the AWS 3G/HSPA on T-Mobile unless you live in a refarmed 1900 area. They do however, support the AWS LTE bands which T-Mobile uses. So if you don't live in a refarmed area, you will only get 2G or LTE. The Google Play Edition, however does support the T-Mobile AWS on 3G.

Just get the T-Mobile version, unlock the bootloader and install the Android Revolution ROM or just disable the T-Mobile bloat. It's not that hard.
But t-mobile only has one color of the phone.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully someone on the forums know for sure because with a $650 price tag it is not worth gambling on.

i got an unlocked m7 from htc website for my dad and it works perfectly fine on tmo.
i m thinking about getting the m8 for myself.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Unlocked M8 4 days ago and I was wondering what everyone's software version was. Mine is 1.12.1540.17. I ask because i don't see Extreme Power saving mode on my M8. Had one person I knw on version 1.54.401.3...and i tried to update but it says im up to date.

i remember reading an article about this. m8 in US is still waiting for clearance for the software update that comes with extreme power saver mode.
In the mean time, if you are out side of US.. like UK, you prob have it already.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair