Camera: HTC One (M8) vs. HTC One (M7)

BoB16731

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I really love the m7 bit as much as I liked the camera well it was a not lacking .

After reading a few reviews I'm reading the camera is the same and or worse and some say the front facing camera is better ..

I do not want to carry my high end camera around all the time .

So I'm asking from the people who have got the m8 hows the camera compare ?

No bashing please just a honest question

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Camera is it worse or better

I really love the m7 bit as much as I liked the camera well it was a not lacking .

After reading a few reviews I'm reading the camera is the same and or worse and some say the front facing camera is better ..

I do not want to carry my high end camera around all the time .

So I'm asking from the people who have got the m8 hows the camera compare ?

No bashing please just a honest question

From what I see in Phil's review the Camera looks to be pretty solid. If you haven't seen it, there is also a gallery to take a look at with shots taken from the device. You can take a look at the sample pictures here: Camera samples from the new HTC One | Android Central

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Camera is it worse or better

General consensus seems to be that the camera is definitely improved over the M7, but falls a little short when compared to other flagships from other companies.

I personally think you're better off looking at camera samples and seeing if they're 'good enough' for you. Ignore all the opinions, all the articles about it and just look for yourself and determine whether it's good enough for you.

If you like what you see, then the camera is good. If not, then it's not good.

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera is it worse or better

The camera is fine. Are there better cameras out there sure but for the occasional pic to post on FB, Twitter and wherever else, I think it does the job. I have kids so I take a good amount of pics and I haven't been disappointed. I'll readily admit I'm not a camera pro so take my opinion however you like. I also have a Nexus 5 and the camera isn't very good in it. I've had the G2, M7, and the Z1.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I think the m8 camera is a huge improvement over m7, and I was able to get some really good pics out of my m7. Is it on par with the s5 16mp camera? As far as resolution goes, no, but I can guarantee you that if you show someone a pic from your m8 NOBODY is going to say ' wow that's really low resolution'. I am sick of everyone bashing on megapixel count when most of them have no experience with the m7 and especially the m8. I for one love both my m7 and m8, but to each their own

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

I have been playing with the camera quite a bit since I got this thing yesterday. I love it. The tools and effects are awesome, and I honestly think it takes great photos. Keep in mind I'm not a professional photographer making a living off the pics I take, and I'm not blowing them up to poster size... So I am extremely happy with the camera and all the fun things I can do with it.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to rain on your parade but I can definitely see the difference in pic quality when looking at the pics in phils review taken by the m8, versus pics taken by the s5. Hell I can see the difference even from an n5. Both look noticeably better. I'm sorry but megapixel numbers do count for something.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I don't want to rain on your parade but I can definitely see the difference in pic quality when looking at the pics in phils review taken by the m8, versus pics taken by the s5. Hell I can see the difference even from an n5. Both look noticeably better. I'm sorry but megapixel numbers do count for something.

Do a little research on these forums. While I don't have a nexus 5, there are plenty of people who do and say that the m8 has a better camera

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Do a little research on these forums. While I don't have a nexus 5, there are plenty of people who do and say that the m8 has a better camera

My nexus 5 takes wonderful photos, more detail than the HTC I feel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

The camera is fine. Are there better cameras out there sure but for the occasional pic to post on FB, Twitter and wherever else, I think it does the job. I have kids so I take a good amount of pics and I haven't been disappointed. I'll readily admit I'm not a camera pro so take my opinion however you like. I also have a Nexus 5 and the camera isn't very good in it. I've had the G2, M7, and the Z1.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8

What do you think of the M8 in comparison with the N5? I've got a Nexus now and am switching to the GPE M8 once they ship it to me. I basically share photos online and do the every-once-in-a-great while 4x6 or 5x7 print. I'm not worried as what I've seen looks like it'll be good enough for me (especially after months on the Moto X), but I'd love to hear your opinion.

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

What do you think of the M8 in comparison with the N5? I've got a Nexus now and am switching to the GPE M8 once they ship it to me. I basically share photos online and do the every-once-in-a-great while 4x6 or 5x7 print. I'm not worried as what I've seen looks like it'll be good enough for me (especially after months on the Moto X), but I'd love to hear your opinion.

I think the M8 takes better pics than the Nexus 5 for just pointing and shooting. The Nexus 5 has more detail than M8 in most situations but the camera app is terrible and the pictures come out too dark. I didn't realize that the Nexus 5 was so bad until I took a picture of a pint of beer while outside on my patio using the Z1 and the Nexus 5. The pictures were night and day different! I had the Moto X for a period and it wasn't a good shooter either even though it took pictures pretty fast. The focus on it was never right even after the camera update. I wish I still had those pics of the pint of beer to share. Let me look and see if I still have them and I'll try to post.

I've only taken a handful of pics with the M8, mostly inside with artificial light and they came out good. I haven't used it for night outside night shots yet. What are some of the common places you take pics? I can try to take pics in similar scenarios and see what you think.

Overall I'm really digging this phone. I need a case because it's pretty slippery.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I think the M8 takes better pics than the Nexus 5 for just pointing and shooting. The Nexus 5 has more detail than M8 in most situations but the camera app is terrible and the pictures come out too dark. I didn't realize that the Nexus 5 was so bad until I took a picture of a pint of beer while outside on my patio using the Z1 and the Nexus 5. The pictures were night and day different! I had the Moto X for a period and it wasn't a good shooter either even though it took pictures pretty fast. The focus on it was never right even after the camera update. I wish I still had those pics of the pint of beer to share. Let me look and see if I still have them and I'll try to post.

I've only taken a handful of pics with the M8, mostly inside with artificial light and they came out good. I haven't used it for night outside night shots yet. What are some of the common places you take pics? I can try to take pics in similar scenarios and see what you think.

Overall I'm really digging this phone. I need a case because it's pretty slippery.

Most of my pics are outdoors in bright light, any feedback?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! Most pics I take are of children. My 17 month old daughter and my 11 year old daughter. And then the occasional pic of my dog. Most shots are indoors, but obviously that will change when mother nature decides to bring us Spring and we can get outside. I don't do landscapes or anything like that. Just really capturing moments and memories with my family. They usually get posted or shared and occasionally printed.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I just did a comparison and the M8 was clearly superior. Despite only having half the MP rating, it was much more detailed when you zoomed in on a pic that had already been taken.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Thx for the pics. When zoomed, detail is equal. The 5 is brighter, which many people like, but I prefer the contrast of the m8 because it gives a greater sense of realism and 3D depth. Neither is killing the other though. Two very competent cams.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Since I have no life,

here's a few photos I snapped with the N5 and m8

Welcome: HTC One (m8) vs. Nexus 5 Camera Comparo

I noticed a little difference in detail in the N5 pics. Seemed to have more detail and brighter colors, like another comment said. But if not side by side, the average eye wouldn't notice. Both look pretty good. I've been using the N5 for about a month and a half. Took it to Disney World, too, and didn't have any qualms with using it. If the One is nearly as good (negligible, at best), then I'll have no issues with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith