Camera: HTC One (M8) vs HTC Thunderbolt

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
How can it be that the Thunderbolt camera...the FIRST 4g smartphone is better than the Htc One M8 or M7 cameras? And I mean 100% better no exaggeration. This just boggles my mind. Htc whyyyy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

How can it be that the Thunderbolt camera...the FIRST 4g smartphone is better than the Htc One M8 or M7 cameras? And I mean 100% better no exaggeration. This just boggles my mind. Htc whyyyy!!!

How many MP does the T-bolt have?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The t-bold did have a great camera for the time - it's a Froyo to Gingerbread device but the software did over-saturate some colors pretty consistently.

Here are a few photos I took with it, both very much just point and shoot - no shot setup or settings, etc:

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0004+-+Copy+-+Copy.jpg
IMAG0112.jpg

Obviously I can get better photos by taking my time and using settings, but kids don't sit still for that sort of thing. By 2013/2014 standards these photos are not very good quality (and that's mostly the methodology, not the hardware/software) but by 2011 standards when I bought the tbolt this wasn't that bad at all. I will caveat all of that by saying that all of the photos that turned out really well during those years were taken on a Sony camera that was much better than any phone's camera that I've ever seen. We use cameras in phones for the things that either don't matter or are happening a little too "right now" to go find the dedicated camera. Those images can be important too though, and having something 100% of the "right now" shots turn out terrible is not an option.

Oh, and low light on the HTC One was absolute garbage - even with the "dual LED flash".

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I would have to completely disagree, I think even the m7 has the ability to take better pictures than the t bolt. The m8's camera is a major improvement over the m7 and do their can take even better pictures.

Posted via Android Central App

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I would have to completely disagree, I think even the m7 has the ability to take better pictures than the t bolt. The m8's camera is a major improvement over the m7 and do their can take even better pictures.

Inside it might be close. Outside...the Thunderbolt destroys both "One" cameras. It is not even close. Htc is going backwards when it comes to the camera portion of phones. I on not expect a DSLR....just something as good from the best cell phone camera from maybe 2012 or so. Iphone 4, 4s, Thunderbolt, Galaxy S3, Note 2 or 3.....etc...etc.....etc..........

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Do you own the m8? I have the t bolt, m7, and the m8 and from my conclusion the m8 has the best camera by far.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

From what I've read at credible sites like Anandtech...HTC's collapse in market share and lack of financial wherewithal has forced them to cut corners including camera components. Samsung and Apple have distinct advantages in this area.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

From what I've read at credible sites like Anandtech...HTC's collapse in market share and lack of financial wherewithal has forced them to cut corners including camera components. Samsung and Apple have distinct advantages in this area.

If that is true wouldn't they have just used last year's module?

I don't have my M8 yet so can't compare the pictures to my current phone which is the HTC EVO LTE. The EVO takes excellent pictures outside and I will do some side by side comparisons. I am one of those people who use a real camera when I can but rely on my phone to take spur of the moment shots.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk 4 Pro.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If that is true wouldn't they have just used last year's module?

I don't have my M8 yet so can't compare the pictures to my current phone which is the HTC EVO LTE. The EVO takes excellent pictures outside and I will do some side by side comparisons. I am one of those people who use a real camera when I can but rely on my phone to take spur of the moment shots.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk 4 Pro.

From the AnandTech review:

"the One’s primary camera sensor remains unchanged from last year’s model. The M8’s primary shooter is a 4MP “UltraPixel” camera with 2.0?m square pixels. As Brian (correctly) theorized last year, there were two sources for HTC’s UltraPixel camera: ST (VD68969) and OmniVision (OV4688), the latter being the limited second source. Due to quality control problems with the ST sensor the M8, like later models of the M7, uses the OmniVision sensor exclusively. The entire module is almost identical to what we saw last year in the M7, with one notable exception: it no longer has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization). Dropping OIS was likely due to a combination of cost and performance concerns"

"The story of last year’s One revolved around HTC’s decision to use a larger format 4MP camera sensor instead of moving to a higher megapixel sensor with smaller pixels. It was a polarizing tradeoff, but one that was somewhat validated by Apple with its choice of maintaining resolution but increasing pixel/sensor size with the 5s. The most obvious fix for those who had issues with the lack of spatial resolution with last year’s One would be to go to a higher resolution sensor, without going as far as Samsung and LG. Unfortunately, without the buying power of a company like Apple, HTC is left to pick from those sensors that are more widely available. In other words, options are limited."

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

I can guarantee you right now that it most definitely is not the same sensor. I am literally holding last year's one and this year's one. Taking pictures with both it is clear that the m8's camera is a lot better

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I can guarantee you right now that it most definitely is not the same sensor. I am literally holding last year's one and this year's one. Taking pictures with both it is clear that the m8's camera is a lot better

Are you certain that can't be the result of software/processing? AandTech does a tear down to see the actual components and they talk to people inside HTC.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

There is no way that it's just on the software side. If that were the case they could have updated the m7 to take better pics

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

There is no way that it's just on the software side. If that were the case they could have updated the m7 to take better pics

Read the article...it's combo of a better/faster processor, software and the addition of the 2nd rear sensor. The main rear 4.1 sensor is largely unchanged.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Largely unchanged still means it was changed

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Do you own the m8? I have the t bolt, m7, and the m8 and from my conclusion the m8 has the best camera by far.

Had the M7 for a month then sold it. Camera made me nuts. LOVED the design, build, speakers.....But a camera on a phone is important to me. I am just asking for a 2012 top quality camera to be on a 2014 phone. C'mon Htc!!!

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

You can give the piece of doody (camera) a nice dress, perfume, make up, new shoes at the end of the day...still a piece of doody (bad camera)!!

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

So you are bashing the m8 camera, even though you have never even touched the device? Haters gonna hate...