HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone else having this issue? I even went and swapped out my M8 for a new one this morning at the VZW Store and the new one still doesn't work.

No Notification LED for Text, Email, Calendar, FB, Nothing! The only time the LED lights up on both phones is when they are charging.

I have the notifications all checked in the display settings and in the apps themselves.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Orren Awdisho

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I also am having the exact same issue. I have Verizon as well. I made sure all Notification settings were enabled in my messaging app and in my phone settings. I ran the diagnostics test from the safe mode and the led worked. I'm not sure what the issue is, but it really annoys me.

EDIT: Guess my phone is faulty then :/ siigh

Last edited:

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
No issues with VZW model. Make sure it isn't plugged in, it will only notify on battery

Well I respectfully disagree. I am on my second phone now, went through a support call with HTC, tried in store and nothing. I am decently tech savvy and I can't figure it out.

Just looked at my phone, no LED but I had a text sitting there..... frustrating!

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My Verizon M8 LED is working fine. It is very bright and can't be missed, so you may have a faulty unit absent some strange software glitch.

Posted via Android Central App

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
My Verizon M8 LED is working fine. It is very bright and can't be missed, so you may have a faulty unit absent some strange software glitch.

Posted via Android Central App

Dangit LOL! I just can't believe that I have managed to get 2 phones with this glitch!

Thanks for the feedback all!

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
For general reference purposes - # 10 (under the speaker grille):

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 698x254.

(p. 10 user manual pdf)

Does the LED light solid green/orange for charging? Notifications may not blink out when the charge cable is plugged in.

If it were me, I would try booting into Safe Mode and then running the notification LED diagnostic test prior to trying to return it.

Hopefully these processes have not changed from prior devices:
Safe Mode will run your phone with all 3rd party applications disabled, on a more clean configuration.

Ensure that Fast Boot is turned off in your Power Settings
Power the phone down and wait for it to be fully turned off for a minute or two
Power the phone back on
When you see the HTC Boot screen immediately press and hold down the 'volume down' hardware key on the right side of the phone. Hold it until the phone completes start up, and you see the words "Safe Mode" displayed in the lower left corner of your lock/home screen.

Then go into your phone dialer, like you are calling someone, and instead Dial *#*#3424#*#* (3424=DIAG) to access HTC's Diagnostic Test.
Press 'Accept' when prompted. Within this menu select 'LED Test', press the Run button, and then follow the on screen prompts.

To get out of Safe Mode simply power off and power on your phone as normal

If the LED works in Safe Mode, then you will want to take a look at your installed applications from Google Play, for a conflicting settings preference.

Tried this, the LED works in the test, not sure why it won't work with any apps

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I really wish they would get rid of the stupid 5 min. limitation to the blinking that all HTC phones seem to have. On other LED phones (N5, GS3, GS4, etc.) you can customize it and have it blink forever if you want. Not on HTC...5 min. and it turns off. And you can't customize it but that's not a huge deal.

My At&t version's light is working fine to stay on topic. :)

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Bah well its not just verizon. My AT&T version has the problem but i also restored from a backup so it looks like i may have to do a reset in order to get it to work.

EDIT: this is the fix. I just did a factory reset and didn't restore everything from my backup. Tested it and the light works now! just gotta re-download all my apps now.

Last edited:

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Bah well its not just verizon. My AT&T version has the problem but i also restored from a backup so it looks like i may have to do a reset in order to get it to work.

EDIT: this is the fix. I just did a factory reset and didn't restore everything from my backup. Tested it and the light works now! just gotta re-download all my apps now.

What's weird is I am using Google Hangouts, which I have never used before and the LED still isn't working, nor is the gmail app. I wonder what setting could be preventing all of these. I even tried using LiteFlow yesterday and it didn't work either.

I really don't want to go through setting this up for a 4th time :(

Karleen77

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
There is suppose to be notification LED or email and text? My phone must not be working cause I haven't had any lights since the day I bought it. I thought the phone did not have the LED notifications. hmmm I have the siliver verizon htc.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
is anyone with this issue not using the built in launcher? someone said the led is tied to sense and a 3rd party launcher may break it.

hubsee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I got mine on 3/28/14...took it back to Verizon today when I realized the LED problem....all M8 phones in the store had the same LED problem...it seems that a patch may be needed

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Can somebody take a video of what the phone is supposed to do when the light comes on? Curious to see if it lights up something other than orange and green, and how exactly it blinks (if it's super long mine might be working and I just don't even realize it)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000