HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Lame HTC - just lame. Same issue - thought the phone didn't have this feature lol. Guess that's the reason this is going to be my backup phone until I get an S5 which isn't going to be half baked like the M8.

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Aargh. This is really lame. Bought a Verizon M8 a week ago, LED works fine, tests fine, works for charging (orange & green) but not for notifications. To see if it makes any diff, I have all notifications turned off except mail. C'mon HTC fix this BUG! :(

Last edited:

xterra4mike

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Aargh. This is really lame. Bought a Verizon M8 a week ago, LED works fine, tests fine, works for charging (orange & green) but not for notifications. To see if it makes any diff, I have all notifications turned off except mail. C'mon HTC fix this BUG!

Spoke to HTC about this concern today and they had me disable the Verizon Messenger app on my phone via the App Manager. I restarted the phone and now my notification lights are working!!!! This explains why AT&T users are not experiencing this problem. Amazing... Thanks Verizon!

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Aargh. This is really lame. Bought a Verizon M8 a week ago, LED works fine, tests fine, works for charging (orange & green) but not for notifications. To see if it makes any diff, I have all notifications turned off except mail. C'mon HTC fix this BUG! :(

I got mine working by doing a factory reset. Weird... I did try disabling the Verizon app but I didn't restart the phone afterwards so maybe the reset was unnecessary.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Spoke to HTC about this concern today and they had me disable the Verizon Messenger app on my phone via the App Manager. I restarted the phone and now my notification lights are working!!!! This explains why AT&T users are not experiencing this problem. Amazing... Thanks Verizon!

Do they not TEST this stuff before releasing it?!! Ugh!! All the more reason to go stock Android, and avoid all the provider's BS bloatware.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Still doesn't seem like we've come to a specific cause for this.

I just put my SIM in and skipped the typical setup wizard and jumped into the OS. Ran diagnostics to do an initial LED test. Then I put in my Google info, did not select Backup/Restore, re-downloaded the apps I wanted (which is a lot easier now since you can batch install), and then disabled all the bloat.

Everything is working fine for both of the M8's I got from Verizon.

• I assume it's NOT Verizon's Messaging app
  • Seems like it may be the Backup/Restore of your Google information during setup, but I didn't bother setting up any other way to confirm that.

If someone has spare time, with a working LED, or a 'fixed' LED, then maybe reset the phone and skip set up to test, and then reset again and restore/backup, and then see if there's a difference.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I do have Verizon's stupid messaging app disabled - it was one of the first things I did when I got the phone. Light still does not work. And no I'm not restoring my phone and going through all that hassle again - HTC needs to get their act together and fix this.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I do have Verizon's stupid messaging app disabled - it was one of the first things I did when I got the phone. Light still does not work. And no I'm not restoring my phone and going through all that hassle again - HTC needs to get their act together and fix this.

Have you run the Diagnostics and tested the LED hardware? If it works during the test then we'll know if it's hardware or software.

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm actually using the Verizon messaging app and my light is working.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you run the Diagnostics and tested the LED hardware? If it works during the test then we'll know if it's hardware or software.

Just tried in safe mode still doesn't work. Even enabled the Verizon messaging app and doesn't work with that either.

I did the factory reset and voila! it works. Thought it would be a hassle but then I remembered all the apps that installed that I didn't want on the HTC such as Samsung apps from my S4 and Tab Pro 8.4. Now I can cherry pick which apps I want on the phone.

Last edited:

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
There's nothing worse than spending countless hours/days customizing your phone, all to be told to do a hard reset! Screw that! That's the ONE complaint I've always had about Verizon. If they can't figure out a problem immediately, the answer is ALWAYS to do a hard reset. Not cool.

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Tried the Messages trick and still no luck, even force stopped the app, unchecked the notifications icon in the app and disabled it.

So frustrating!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just tried in safe mode still doesn't work. Even enabled the Verizon messaging app and doesn't work with that either.

I did the factory reset and voila! it works. Thought it would be a hassle but then I remembered all the apps that installed that I didn't want on the HTC such as Samsung apps from my S4 and Tab Pro 8.4. Now I can cherry pick which apps I want on the phone.

As good as auto-restore sounds (in theory), it's a pain when you have all these OEMs filling up the phones with their own special apps... I don't even bother using the restore anymore because of all those random apps on my account history that I don't want to bother clearing out.

But glad it all worked out for you!

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
As good as auto-restore sounds (in theory), it's a pain when you have all these OEMs filling up the phones with their own special apps... I don't even bother using the restore anymore because of all those random apps on my account history that I don't want to bother clearing out.

But glad it all worked out for you!

Just skip the step about restoring the apps - that's what fixed it for me anyway. When I setup the phone the first time I let it restore apps and of course it installed the crap from my Samsung devices. If you skip that step you only get the stuff that was on the phone originally and then you can add whichever apps you chose.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just skip the step about restoring the apps - that's what fixed it for me anyway. When I setup the phone the first time I let it restore apps and of course it installed the crap from my Samsung devices. If you skip that step you only get the stuff that was on the phone originally and then you can add whichever apps you chose.
Yeah that's what I do too.

I think the problem is people are selecting Backup and Restore which, for some reason, is messing with the Notification LED. Perhaps a rogue app or something.

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Last thing I want to do for my Verizon M8 is start from scratch after spending a week customizing it. I did get mine at a Verizon store and the gal had the phone out and was "doing stuff" to it. I didn't realize that she was going through the setup which, at the time, I thought was nice of her but would have preferred to do myself. Then she handed me the phone and told me to put in my Google account which I did. But I didn't think to not do a restore. I've also disabled the Verizon Messenger Plus app after a Force Stop but still no joy. The LED does however work for low battery. Just no apps. Sigh. FIX IT HTC!!!

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Last thing I want to do for my Verizon M8 is start from scratch after spending a week customizing it. I did get mine at a Verizon store and the gal had the phone out and was "doing stuff" to it. I didn't realize that she was going through the setup which, at the time, I thought was nice of her but would have preferred to do myself. Then she handed me the phone and told me to put in my Google account which I did. But I didn't think to not do a restore. I've also disabled the Verizon Messenger Plus app after a Force Stop but still no joy. The LED does however work for low battery. Just no apps. Sigh. FIX IT HTC!!!

Lol good luck with that - I guess miracles could happen....

House seller

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I guess that the saving grace is that after a few days of no lights I find myself a little freed up. I check for things when I feel like it, which is often, LOL, and I'm not ruled by a flashing light... ;)