Sprint HTC One (M8): not receiving phone calls

jaydeew

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Waited patiently for my HTC one (m8) to arrive from sprint. Was sitting on my doorstep when I arrived home from work today. Quickly went to work transferring all the things I needed from old phone. Been at it for 3-4 Hours. Everything seemed to be working fine, texts and making calls. Started to get people asking me why I wasn't answering my phone.

Come to find out I am not receiving phone calls. Awesome. Call sprint, reset all settings, reactivate. They have no clue what the problem is, told me to go see a tech.

Great phone but I am beyond pissed I have to deal with some unknown issue that I am sure they won't be able to fix at the store. Make sure to test and see if you guys are receiving calls on your phone. I can receive voicemails just can not tell if someone is calling me.

Anyone else have this problem? Have a fix?

Last edited by a moderator:

madkoda12

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC one (m8) problem / malfunction

what was your old phone? if it was an iphone then that's why. I had this issue when i went from my Iphone 5S to the nexus 5. If you have your phone number connected to imessage on the iphone you have to reset your apple account to take the phone number off of the account so you can receive your calls and texts regularly. If it is connected to the iphone's imessage then everything is still being directed towards there.

jaydeew

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

My previous phone was HTC evo LTE.

Well after more profile resets and PRL updates, with still no luck getting the m8 to ring... I decided to leave my house and go to a better area. I drove around where the highest sprint reception is. Maybe something clicked with a different cell tower, after not being able to receive a call for 4 hours my phone finally rang!

I then returned home to try it and it is working like it should. Whew tragedy averted. Back to loading all my data onto the beautiful device.

Last edited:

jaydeew

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Oh boy. So I think the issue is bigger than I thought. It has something to do with the LTE and when the spark icon is on. It is now having the same problem. Are any other sprint users having this problem? When I turn off 4g it will ring. When I have 4g on I can not even tell that someone is calling me.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) problem / malfunction

I had this problem back when I was with Sprint on my Evo. I went through 4 phones (no SIM cards back then) finally realized it was Sprint that was the problem, never had the problem with the blackberry I had before the Evo. Sprint service just was so bad all it took to cause this was the small difference in the antenas between the blackberry and my Evo

Posted via Android Central App

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Mine is doing the same thing. rings fine on 3G but turn on LTE and it will not ring

Update, after switching LTE on and off a few times, its ringing on LTE now.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Im amazed that these problems still persist.
I had similar issues with EVO LTE and GS3 back when i was with Sprint in Nov / Dec of 2012. By Jan 2013 i went to TMO.
11 years with Sprint. I tried to be as loyal as possible but in some areas i think they bit off more then they could chew. But i am surprised they have not fixed this issue yet.
Can you disable Spark?

jaydeew

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) problem / malfunction / not being notified of incoming calls, doesn't ring

Mine is doing the same thing. rings fine on 3G but turn on LTE and it will not ring

Update, after switching LTE on and off a few times, its ringing on LTE now.

Beware JCthorne#AC.

That also worked for a very short amount of time, referring to having the LTE off and connected only to the CDMA network manualy. I drove all over today calling my phone with a friends. If LTE/CDMA is selected and LTE star is spinning next to it, I can receive incoming call maybe 10% of the time. I got it to ring a sinnlge time with LTE enabled and that was because I must of been standing under a LTE node, was getting 8.77mb down and 8mb . Or at the moment I dropped down to 4g. I get incoming 3g calls.........

If anyone could help, please suggestions welcome. My old phone EVO LTE rang fine never had one problem with it for 2 years. Except the latter years and how it shuts off every hour now a days, and it is so slow it barely loads apps or maps.

If anybody got a quick fix ill paypal a little tip, I really dont want to take this thing back.......

Jeff, STarted to get very very sad

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) problem / malfunction / not being notified of incoming calls, doesn't ring

from s4gru.com:"In previous Sprint LTE phones, when a device was in Sprint LTE coverage it would park in both the LTE and CDMA Sprint networks at the same time. When a voice call came in, it would just go straight through to the device. And signal to the LTE network would be maintained the whole time while the call was active.

In contrast, a Sprint Triband LTE device can only stay on one technology at a time. CDMA or LTE, not both. So when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE.

Here is how it works in the simplest way I can describe. When your Triband LTE device has an LTE signal, it cannot receive or make calls on its own. It is just using LTE data happily. However, what if someone calls you? How does it get through the CDMA network to your device? Via CSFB.

When the Sprint network tries to forward a call to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If you receive a text, the Sprint network is able to route it to your device via LTE."

This is why I tried to upgrade from the EVO 4G to the EVO 4G LTE recently, I was trying to get a phone that handled LTE and had SVLTE, but it didn't work out reception-wise in my area, so bit the bullet and got the M8, knowing that if I use it for tethering will have to figure out if there is a way to force it to stay in LTE and have phone calls go straight to voice mail.
Looks like its not being widely reported yet due to the short time since launch,only current work around is to keep phone set to cdma only until tower upgrades are complete:(

Lady_Evo

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

having the same issue with not getting any calls. When I set it to CDMA, it doesn't stay that way for long (even with the automatic checks removed).

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I bet money Sprint will remedy this by going full GSM in the future.

The start was the Nexus 5 with Sim required, next is the T-Mobile purchase about to happen any time now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah see.. No worries. It wasn't a phone issue.. It was a network issue ;).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I bet money Sprint will remedy this by going full GSM in the future.

The start was the Nexus 5 with Sim required, next is the T-Mobile purchase about to happen any time now.

The Nexus 5 has a CDMA chipset in to make it compatible with Sprint. The SIM your refering to is for the LTE part of it to work with Sprint.
The IMEI is registered with their CDMA network for the voice / text / data and the SIM will register with their LTE network for data.
FYI, the next evolution of network is going VoLTE.. Once this happens then the GSM and / or CDMA networks can migrate customers to VoLTE, Voice over LTE.. GSM as we know it will be obsolete and it will be based on the LTE standards.. loosely put.

As far as the TMO purchase. I doubt that will happen.
TMO is becoming more valuable by the day, plus the feds have already set a precedent by saying they want 4 major carriers when they blocked the ATT/TMO merger.

tmacgarris6727

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My sprint lg g2 was having the same problem and now my m8 is doing the same not ringing so it's not the phone its sprint sorry network which is why I'm taking the m8 back and going to att and get there m8

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has a CDMA chipset in to make it compatible with Sprint. The SIM your refering to is for the LTE part of it to work with Sprint.
The IMEI is registered with their CDMA network for the voice / text / data and the SIM will register with their LTE network for data.
FYI, the next evolution of network is going VoLTE.. Once this happens then the GSM and / or CDMA networks can migrate customers to VoLTE, Voice over LTE.. GSM as we know it will be obsolete and it will be based on the LTE standards.. loosely put.

As far as the TMO purchase. I doubt that will happen.
TMO is becoming more valuable by the day, plus the feds have already set a precedent by saying they want 4 major carriers when they blocked the ATT/TMO merger.

Most of this is true....except that the Nexus 5 can't operate at ALL without a Sim card on Sprint.

About the acquisition of T-Mobile by Att, it was blocked by the FCC because then Att would of became a monopoly. Right now there's a duopoly going on between Att and Verizon and in order to balance this, things are looking up for a T-Mobile bought by Sprint. Even with Sprint and T-Mobile combined, don't add up to Att much less Verizon.

Things are very favorable ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781