HTC One (M8): iPhone user with questions!

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok so long story short I love mobile tech, I have owned the following smartphones: BB Pearl, BB Strom, BB Tour, OG Droid, HTC Incredible (probably my favorite phone), iPhone 4/4s/5/5s, Galaxy Nexus and I bought a Moto X in December during the sale but returned it following numerous issues with Moto Customer support (sent me the wrong phone, sent me a damaged phone etc etc).

I have been patiently waiting for this phone to come out and now its here and I am wondering how the user exeperience is. I know people complain about the camera and as a professional photographer yes I like nice pictures but at the same time I wont use a cell phone camera for anything aside from social media. I went to the store and played with it and the screen is absolutely gorgeous.

SO my question is has anybody switched from iOS to this phone?
Do you think this phone will be the all around best Android phone in 2014?
Anything else you would like to mention?

Last edited by a moderator:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone user with questions!

I just switched from a 5S. Both are great phones. But the screen is just too small on the iPhone. Sure the 6 will be out this fall, and in all probability it will be a bigger model.

I dont have a problem hardware wise in switching back and forth from iOS to Android. Its the app cost X2 thats the killer.... :)

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

I just switched from a 5S. Both are great phones. But the screen is just too small on the iPhone. Sure the 6 will be out this fall, and in all probability it will be a bigger model.

I dont have a problem hardware wise in switching back and forth from iOS to Android. Its the app cost X2 thats the killer.... :)

Awesome thanks for the response. Yes buying the apps twice sucks, but most of my "essential" apps I already purchased on both iOS and Android. How is exchange support on Android? When I had my Moto X I didnt need it, but now its essential in my new job. How is battery life?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

I dont need exchange... gmail works for me and my google apps account.

Battery life has been stellar so far! If I didnt have a Mophie case on the 5S, I would have been constantly charging it.

drberezin

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I am also a Mac/Apple user (currently have a Macbook Pro, 2 Apple TV's and Airport Extreme Router). Wife and 2 kids have iPhone 5. About 2 months ago I sold my iPad and got a Nexus 7 (2013). A couple of days ago I traded in my iPhone 5 for the HTC One M8. I also had an original Droid and then a Samsung Fascinate before switching to iPhones.

IMO, I think this is the Android phone to beat. The Samsung Galaxy does not look as good as the HTC, plus it comes with a lot of crap loaded up on it and I don't think the UX is as polished and "professional" looking. The only other Android phone I would consider would have been the Nexus 5 (but I don't think it's available for Verizon). The HTC has it all, build quality, good looks, smooth user experience.

As far as the software and apps go, pretty much every app I used on iOS was available on Android. I also use Google for mail and calendar, so it was not a big deal switching platforms. Plus, after I signed in for the first time on the phone, it downloaded all the apps that I installed on my Nexus 7. Even all my WiFi connections with passwords were added to my phone. That was a nice bonus.

I also like the idea of being able to customize my screens and use widgets as opposed to iOS's "squares" (apps). I like having the flexibility. The Andorid OS has come a long way since the 2.1 and 2.3 days since I used them last. It's pretty much on par with iOS now. For the 2 days I've had the phone, I am very happy with it. I was very nervous about giving up my iPhone (on the Edge program with Verizon). In 12 months I can trade it in if I want anyway.

To sum it up: I'm very happy with the HTC and I don't regret making the change.

PS - if you do make the switch, make sure you turn off iMessage on your iPhone and then send out a couple of texts to people. You may run into issues because you are registered with Apple's servers and other iPhone's think you still can receive iMessages.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

PS - if you do make the switch, make sure you turn off iMessage on your iPhone and then send out a couple of texts to people. You may run into issues because you are registered with Apple's servers and other iPhone's think you still can receive iMessages.

Yes definitely do this. I might also add that the Verizon Messages App is very nice. Much nicer than I expected it to be. It goes one better than iMessages as it works similar to iMessage and offers SMS support to devices that are not cellular. iMessage works only on iOS devices.

I have the Verzion Messages App on my iPad and on my Mac (web client)... it works flawlessly. I highly suggest it.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Yea I always switch off iMessages on my phone before switching to Android if not I don't get any messages lol.

I am going to have to check out Verizon Messages. I didn't even know about this app.

I have 5 lines on my account (1 a dummy esn I use for upgrades, 1 my dads with 2gb data, and 3 with unlimited data still.) I can't give up unlimited data so it's either upgrade my dummy line or pay full retail. But the BOGO offer makes me want to upgrade my wife also (they offered me 6GB on her line to get off unlimited).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site

Awesome thanks for the response. Yes buying the apps twice sucks, but most of my "essential" apps I already purchased on both iOS and Android. How is exchange support on Android? When I had my Moto X I didnt need it, but now its essential in my new job. How is battery life?

HTC has the best email client on the Android Platform and it fully supports Exchange. Truthfully, its better than IOS in that regard as well.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

Yea I always switch off iMessages on my phone before switching to Android if not I don't get any messages lol.

I am going to have to check out Verizon Messages. I didn't even know about this app.

I have 5 lines on my account (1 a dummy esn I use for upgrades, 1 my dads with 2gb data, and 3 with unlimited data still.) I can't give up unlimited data so it's either upgrade my dummy line or pay full retail. But the BOGO offer makes me want to upgrade my wife also (they offered me 6GB on her line to get off unlimited).

i think if you use their edge program you can keep your data since you aren't signing a contract and getting a subsidized phone. there's other ways around it too even with signing a contract but they're not exactly kosher. ;)

the 6gb deal for grandfathered users is pretty stellar too. for once verizon isn't trying to completely screw over their customers. (not completely anyways :p)

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

i think if you use their edge program you can keep your data since you aren't signing a contract and getting a subsidized phone. there's other ways around it too even with signing a contract but they're not exactly kosher. ;)

the 6gb deal for grandfathered users is pretty stellar too. for once verizon isn't trying to completely screw over their customers. (not completely anyways :p)

They edge program wont let me with unlimited I have to switch to 6GB and I wont do that. But funny story, I used my parents upgrades in Sept and got 2 5s. I didnt use the sim card that came with one of the iPhones and that line kept unlimited data, I used the sim card that shipped with the iPhone for the other line and that line lost unlimited date. Ordered online and wonder if its a glitch, not risking trying it out though lol

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I am a serious Apple fan. Use iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad. I switched from iPhoine about 6 months ago. First tried an S4; didn't like it and went back to iPhone. Then tried the One (M7) and have stayed with it. The iPhone just wouldn't do what I wanted it to do (limitation of their closed system)*. I still think iOS is a beautiful OS; visually and functionally.

It's pretty easy to switch. HTC Sync Manager will transfer all your photos & contacts. I use a little app called Smooth Sync to sync my old iOS calendars. Didn't have to change a thing and calendars now sync cross-platform to my other iOS devices. I'm also using Exchange with no issues.

I use a lot of storage so got the 64GB model. One bonus is that it is/was about $200 cheaper than the 64GB iPhone.

My M8 is on order direct from HTC.

* - The iPhone deal killer for me was that I use bluetooth headphones all day. Don't have them in my ears all day but they are connected. With iPhone, any notification sound other than ringtone would not play through the external speaker as long as bluetooth was connected so I'd miss them. With Android, sounds also play through external speaker. I think if Apple allowed this I might go back. It'd be a tough decision because I really like the way you can customize the Android.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I also use exchange at my job and it works like a charm, just as well as it did on my old M7.

Ice

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Yup my wife will not be happy with me when I come home. On my way to Verizon now!

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

So Verizon told me I couldn't transfer upgrades from my dummy line to my line wtf!

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What's a dummy line? I can't believe they wouldn't work with you. Was it a corporate store or satellite, there is a big difference in customer service.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

So Verizon told me I couldn't transfer upgrades from my dummy line to my line wtf!

that's bull, all you have to do is upgrade on that line and swap the esn / imei from the dumbphone back on. it's 100% doable, your rep is just a ****.

if they give you hassle just take the upgrade, go home and swap the imei back through the website and it will drop the data. this is one of the biggest reasons i dropped verizon. i absolutely HATE going in to any verizon store.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
What's a dummy line? I can't believe they wouldn't work with you. Was it a corporate store or satellite, there is a big difference in customer service.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

a dummy line is a line that is typically occupied by a dumbphone on a family plan that the main user uses for upgrade purposes

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am switching back over from the iPhone5s. In my opinion and in many reviews it seems like it will certainly either be number 1 or 2. I will miss a few things from my iPhone. The fingerprint scanner was really awesome and very convenient. Other small things like imessaging / face timing. and using emojis with all my iphone friends lol. Might even miss how portable it was. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to move back to the big screen. But that iPhone was super easy to pocket and to do everything with 1 hand.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been nothing but impressed with my M8. Every time I pick up this phone, it feels like the first time I held an iPhone 4-- premium and the best of the best.

The battery life is fantastic by the way. My phone has been going for just shy of 18 hours today and I have used it a fair amount throughout the day (emails, texts, a few videos, pictures, Twitter, Facebook, reading a lot of reviews on the M8 despite having it, etc.). I still have 36% of the battery left.

I highly recommend the M8. The only thing I miss, which is rare, but does happen, is iMessage. Apple did a great job with iMessage and it is sad not using it on a daily basis.

Go buy this phone.

Posted via Android Central App