Wait. What? Verizon EDGE surprise

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True on both counts.

I asked today about my ETF and they told me it was $180, which seems a little high considering I am 75% of the way through my contract. I was expecting something more like $75-100 myself. So I should theoretically be able to pay the ETF to terminate the contract then be free to upgrade. Will that cause trouble with keeping my existing phone number? I've had it for nearly 20 years and that is critically important to me.

ETF is $350 less $10 per month of service.

With edge, you can upgrade after a month

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
ETF is $350 less $10 per month of service.

With edge, you can upgrade after a month

True on both counts.

I asked today about my ETF and they told me it was $180, which seems a little high considering I am 75% of the way through my contract. I was expecting something more like $75-100 myself. So I should theoretically be able to pay the ETF to terminate the contract then be free to upgrade. Will that cause trouble with keeping my existing phone number? I've had it for nearly 20 years and that is critically important to me.
The way people did this in the past is to port your number to a prepaid service for a period of time then port it back as a new account. It's been a while since I played that game so there may be other ways to handle it.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You only return the phone if you trade it in before the two years is up. If you finish the two years the phone is yours to keep. The hook for these plans is the ability to trade it in if you want to upgrade more often than every two years. I don't get where you think they are getting some kind of double subsidy. They give you a bill credit every month your paying the phone payment so where is the subsidy at all? It's kind of understandable that they would want you to return the phone if you do and early upgrade. On Edge they are selling you a phone full price on a no interest payment plan. They give you a line discount to offset the fact that you are not getting a $600 phone for $249. If you want to get a new phone earlier they need to get the old phone back to make up the difference. Apparently it's wrong for companies to make a profit on business now? You are basically agreeing to pay full price for a phone like the rest of the world in exchange for a significant discount on the price of your line. They're not collecting that money upfront but spreading it out over two years. If you don't finish the payments you should have to return it. The original Edge Plan WAS a ripoff. You got to pay full price and there where no line discounts. I think it would be foolish to do and early upgrade past a certain point also and turning it in. If the sell value is greater than what it would cost to pay the Edge contact off you should pay the contact off when getting a new device and sell the old one yourself. I think this would be most apparent in the last 6 months. The sweet spot for trading up seems to be the 1 yr mark. It's doubtful for most phones that you would get 1/2 the unsubsidized value selling it and that's the point you can trade up without incurring a penalty. Seems like a win to me.

Posted via Android Central App

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4...hone-upgrade-plan-same-bad-ripoff-as-att-next

That's where I found the information, as well as what our reps informed us. However, I'm aware they're unreliable.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Her line was upped in November, right before the swap. :-( sorry if my info is out of date.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling you - I did not have to turn in my phone. I'm under contract too. If I do have to turn in something, you better believe I'm hitting Craigslist for a used Verizon phone. :)

You only have to turn your phone in when Ur already on edge and trading in you current edge phone for a new edge phone and the current edge phone balance is not paid off...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
EDGE and NEXT arent bad as long as you do 10gb or more. I'd rather do these 0 interest leases since there is no upgrade fee (which they force charge now) and i don't look at my previous phones anymore anyways.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4...hone-upgrade-plan-same-bad-ripoff-as-att-next

That's where I found the information, as well as what our reps informed us. However, I'm aware they're unreliable.

That article is old..Verizon has changed it ... I now get $20 off my bill for being on the edge program and having over 10g of data
I'm sure this was done in response to T-Mobile

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That article is old..Verizon has changed it ... I now get $20 off my bill for being on the edge program and having over 10g of data

Verizon recently increased from $20 to $25. Existing edge customers would automatically get the discount on your next bill. You can call Verizon to confirm

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Early EDGE program requires you trade in your previous smart phone and is only possible if said line has a smartphone that can be traded in. They will make hundred off of your smart phone selling it as a used device and while the rebate allows you to essentially have the phone for free you, must keep it in impeccable condition and pay atleast half of its VZW retail before trading it back in for a new phone through the edge program again. You got a deal but also got screwed.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Early EDGE program requires you trade in your previous smart phone and is only possible if said line has a smartphone that can be traded in. They will make hundred off of your smart phone selling it as a used device and while the rebate allows you to essentially have the phone for free you, must keep it in impeccable condition and pay atleast half of its VZW retail before trading it back in for a new phone through the edge program again. You got a deal but also got screwed.

I guess you've missed the last few dozen posts. I didn't have to trade in my phone and none of my documents say anything about doing so.

anon(4054009)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You only have to turn your phone in when Ur already on edge and trading in you current edge phone for a new edge phone and the current edge phone balance is not paid off...

Actually if one reads the Verizon website and stop playing the fun game of telephone on this thread, it is explained clearly. You are right, Amazing to read all of the misinformation here. Only thing I would add is I can upgrade after 30 days and 50% of the balance paid on the phone. You can trade in a phone if you want when starting on the edge program but be aware Verizon's valuations are pretty low.

jerrad707

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually if one reads the Verizon website and stop playing the fun game of telephone on this thread, it is explained clearly. You are right, Amazing to read all of the misinformation here. Only thing I would add is I can upgrade after 30 days and 50% of the balance paid on the phone. You can trade in a phone if you want when starting on the edge program but be aware Verizon's valuations are pretty low.

So I had a Galaxy S3 and just got the M8. I was NOT on Edge until I got the new M8 and Verizon told me I had to give them my Galaxy S3. Did they f**k up? I could have gotten $60-80 for my Galaxy had they not taken it from me. I wonder if I can go back and get it from Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara