Wait. What? Verizon EDGE surprise

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My name is torifile and I am an addict.

I admit it. I have a problem. I can't resist the allure of the shiny and new when it seems worth looking at. I decided to embrace my inner gadget freak and pony up for the full price of the One. I went into the Verizon store, fully prepared to pay $600+tax for the device. My rep asked if I wanted to get on the EDGE program and I politely declined. He said ok and went to the back of the store to get the phone.

A few minutes later, he came out and said that there's a new EDGE promo that knocks $25/month off the price of my plan (I've got a family plan with 12 gigs of data) and that if I did the EDGE program, I'd essentially be paying NOTHING for the device. So, I, of course, went for it.

I was not eligible for an upgrade, my contract date was not reset. Nothing that I could tell was amiss...

It seems to good to be true but I walked out with my new One having paid only $70 and my "old" iPhone 5s. Did I miss something? Or did I just score the deal of the century?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
There is not enough data to really assess.

But, general rule is VZW will never give you a deal of a century, it tends to 888 people over.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon knocks 25 off the plan for phone on edge... Only for 10 GB or higher plans (it knock off is lower for plans under 10 GB ).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
My name is torifile and I am an addict.

I admit it. I have a problem. I can't resist the allure of the shiny and new when it seems worth looking at. I decided to embrace my inner gadget freak and pony up for the full price of the One. I went into the Verizon store, fully prepared to pay $600+tax for the device. My rep asked if I wanted to get on the EDGE program and I politely declined. He said ok and went to the back of the store to get the phone.

A few minutes later, he came out and said that there's a new EDGE promo that knocks $25/month off the price of my plan (I've got a family plan with 12 gigs of data) and that if I did the EDGE program, I'd essentially be paying NOTHING for the device. So, I, of course, went for it.

I was not eligible for an upgrade, my contract date was not reset. Nothing that I could tell was amiss...

It seems to good to be true but I walked out with my new One having paid only $70 and my "old" iPhone 5s. Did I miss something? Or did I just score the deal of the century?

wait, you gave them your 5s?

if you did that, you got shafted.

as far as the monthly, att is doing something similar with their shared data plans and next, where it's only $15 to add a smartphone to a plan ($5 more than a dumbphone) which imo is a good deal and how i got my m8, but i didn't trade anything in to them for it...

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean. For instance I was on AT&T old plan (6gb shared) and it was $160. Switch to the new plan (10gb shared) and the bill is $130. And the phone costs 32/month on the next plan. So essentially I'm playing what I've always paid and now have a brand new phone. Your situation sounds similar. A lot of people will benefit with the new offerings since competition is heating up on service costs.

Posted via Android Central App

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
wait, you gave them your 5s?

if you did that, you got shafted.

as far as the monthly, att is doing something similar with their shared data plans and next, where it's only $15 to add a smartphone to a plan ($5 more than a dumbphone) which imo is a good deal and how i got my m8, but i didn't trade anything in to them for it...

Oh hell no. I know better than that. Reading back, I can see how you'd misunderstand what I said. I should have said, "I walked out with my new One and iPhone 5s and only paid $70" :)

I think that EDGE is a crappy deal for people who are eligible for an upgrade, but for me it seems like it was a great deal. I pay net zero for the phone when I just got a subsidized iPhone just 3 months ago. I could sell my iPhone and pay for my service for 6 months.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
If you gave them you're 5s, then bad deal. BAD!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh hell no. I know better than that. Reading back, I can see how you'd misunderstand what I said. I should have said, "I walked out with my new One and iPhone 5s and only paid $70" :)

Oh, then good deal lol

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
On an edge plan, you will need to pay equipment for 20 months, you really need to show your bills for next month before we can grab the situation.

You did not turn the iPhone, do you know if they converted that into an installment too? If so, they will charge you that, and 25 discount would simply vanish.

The math can be done, after we have a bill.

@T-Mobile GN3

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
On an edge plan, you will need to pay equipment for 20 months, you really need to show your bills for next month before we can grab the situation.

You did not turn the iPhone, do you know if they converted that into an installment too? If so, they will charge you that, and 25 discount would simply vanish.

The math can be done, after we have a bill.

@T-Mobile GN3

My iPhone wasn't even part of the discussion. I'll know for sure when I get the next bill but I am pretty sure that I got a good deal. I thought that this offer was only for lines eligible for an upgrade and I know that I wasn't.

The math as I see it is this:

600 + 40/month for my line under what I was expecting. For 2 years that's 1560. If I sell the One for 200 that puts me at 1360 out of pocket.

With this deal, I am paying just the 40/month for my line. No possibility of selling the One since I have to trade it in. That's a flat 960.

Seems straightforward enough. What am I missing?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has open edge enrollment for existing contract users before 11/13/13 until I believe 4/30/14. For this time and this time only, trade in of device is not required. You can either pay off in full and keep the phone or pay less than that and turn in the device. Though keeping the phone and selling outright might make more sense financially speaking.

And yes this is better than paying full retail, in this situation. They are trying to get people on edge. Att is doing similar as well

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
well, you are not "upgrading", you are converting a post-paid plan to a edge plan. Its a bit different. VZW is giving $25/mo off for all Edge plan users when the plan has >10G data. So everybody should get ($40-$25)*24, plus the full phone $600. Which would be $960. Same as yours. So, you are not really making a deal of a century saving there.

The interesting part is you get to keep your 3 mo old iPhone 5s. This is the part I am unsure about. Your next month bill should clear that up.

You can either pay off in full and keep the phone or pay less than that and turn in the device.
If he/she paid the iPhone off in full in store, then there is no saving at all. However, OP did not mention this at all?

Another thing is that, you mentioned you are on a family plan, how can VZW convert one line to edge but not others? if they convert all lines to edge, any price changes there?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A trade in or payoff isn't required in this situation because it is open enrollment for edge right now. Once open enrollment ends then you would have to be off contract before you can sign up for edge.

It is a good deal in this specific situation due to open enrollment.

You can mix contract lines and edge lines on the same Account for MEP . Lines on edge would receive a $10 or $25 line access discount.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
well, you are not "upgrading", you are converting a post-paid plan to a edge plan. Its a bit different. VZW is giving $25/mo off for all Edge plan users when the plan has >10G data. So everybody should get ($40-$25)*24, plus the full phone $600. Which would be $960. Same as yours. So, you are not really making a deal of a century saving there.

The interesting part is you get to keep your 3 mo old iPhone 5s. This is the part I am unsure about. Your next month bill should clear that up.

If he/she paid the iPhone off in full in store, then there is no saving at all. However, OP did not mention this at all?

Another thing is that, you mentioned you are on a family plan, how can VZW convert one line to edge but not others? if they convert all lines to edge, any price changes there?

if they're like att, then they can convert single lines of a family plan into edge / next plans because all that's happening is no subsidized phone and no contract. i have 3 next lines and 4 normal lines on my att plan.

it's generally better to not trade in your phone to them though. they aren't very clear about it, but if you pay off the balance of the phone you don't need to turn it in. you can generally sell your phone for more money than the balance on the plan in a year. also you don't need insurance on the phone, i've heard multiple reps at verizon say that to customers and i can assure you that is 100% false.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought the open enrollment still required you to turn in your phone? It says on Verizon's website that if you have not upgraded your phone since 11/13/13 then you can trade in your device and join Verizon Edge...

I also thought the discount was only $20 a month off line access for 10+ GB of data? Where are people getting $25?

***EDIT-I just saw the $25 on Verizon's page, did they change this recently?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I thought the open enrollment still required you to turn in your phone? It says on Verizon's website that if you have not upgraded your phone since 11/13/13 then you can trade in your device and join Verizon Edge...

I also thought the discount was only $20 a month off line access for 10+ GB of data? Where are people getting $25?

having to trade in your device to join edge would be the worst deal of the century.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the 5s would have to be turned in or else you get hit with a $200 fee. I just checked into this and even called Verizon to double check. The phone that is currently being used on the line that now has Edge has to be returned within 14 days or the fee applies.

Doesn't seem to be a good deal to me - I guess if you really want a new phone and don't have an upgrade it's the way to go.

Posted via Android Central App

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
wow. that's just horrible.

there isn't a day that goes by that i don't feel good about leaving those pieces of crap at verizon.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
having to trade in your device to join edge would be the worst deal of the century.

I agree, but this is the language on Verizon's website:

"For a limited time, existing customers who haven't upgraded their phone since 11/13/13 can trade in their phones and use Verizon Edge to enjoy the benefits of a new 4G LTE Smartphone."

This is the main reason I did not let them talk me into Edge when I bought the M8 the other day. I certainly wasn't going to be giving them my mint condition Note 3 which is not only worth a lot of money, but I also wanted to continue using my Note 3 as my work phone along with my M8.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree, but this is the language on Verizon's website:

"For a limited time, existing customers who haven't upgraded their phone since 11/13/13 can trade in their phones and use Verizon Edge to enjoy the benefits of a new 4G LTE Smartphone."

This is the main reason I did not let them talk me into Edge when I bought the M8 the other day. I certainly wasn't going to be giving them my mint condition Note 3 which is not only worth a lot of money, but I also wanted to continue using my Note 3 as my work phone along with my M8.

i'd go buy a bb storm from the garbage bin and give that to them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No trade in is required to start edge. If you are on edge then you will either have to trade in or payoff the device.

Verizon recently increased from $20 to $25 line access discount for edge over 10gb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca