HTC One (M8): Dual Membrane Mic / HDR Mic?

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
One of the less talked about features of the M7 was the Dual Membrane Mic. If you are like me and are one of those guys/girls that like to whip out the cell phone during a concert or loud sporting event...the M7 provided clear sound without all the distortion that made those videos useless.

I remember hearing a tiny bit of news that HTC had to switch up the mics in later batches due to Nokia already having an agreement with the supplier. Does anyone know if they found a different supplier or maybe worked something out with Nokia? Or maybe one of you early owners out there can test it out in your car with the music cranked up? Just very curious because it was an awesome feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

rkslive

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dual Membrane Mic / HDR Mic?

When anyone gets this answer, please publish. Since the M8 is officially released, I figured I could get the answer from HTC. Nope!
I asked this in an online chat with HTC today:
q: "Initial Question/Comment: What is the specification (detail please) of the microphone in the new HTC One M8? I am aware that the original One had an ST Microlelectronics "Dual Membrane HDR" microhone, but there were some legal issues on that. I thought those issues had been resolved and HTC could once again use the dual-membrane mics. This is my primary reason to make the switch to the long-awaited HTC One M8 - the ability to achieve great full range audio during video recordings, even at high, concert-like volumes. Thanks!"
a1: "Some information about the phone is proprietary, I apologize. More will be released in the coming days."

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Lol weak response. Well I just got my M8 so I'm going to try to get in the car with the music cranked up or maybe if I make it to a bar this weekend I can give it a try.

This was one of the best overlooked features of the last One. I love being able to record parts of a concert and listening to it later.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The change they made must not have had any effect on the quality of the recording. At least I never saw any posts from anyone saying audio from recordings was bad on the M7.

Liam McGregor

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Upgrading to a M8 form a Nokia 820, i hope this feature is in the M8 also, as my nokia was immaculate at recording gigs, with no noise distortion and clear video.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The change they made must not have had any effect on the quality of the recording. At least I never saw any posts from anyone saying audio from recordings was bad on the M7.
I remember reading that HTC and Nokia settled their patent dispute and they gave each other access to certain patents, so maybe that was one of them.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Lol weak response. Well I just got my M8 so I'm going to try to get in the car with the music cranked up or maybe if I make it to a bar this weekend I can give it a try.

This was one of the best overlooked features of the last One. I love being able to record parts of a concert and listening to it later.

Were you able to test this out? Before I sell my M7 I want to make sure I can still make as good of recordings at concerts and such...

Y2J

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
M7 always kept the HDR mics. HTC ended up paying royalties to Nokia.

I'll be going to a concert next week and will test my M8 there.

rkslive

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
to: KoukiFC3S: "M7 always kept the HDR mics. HTC ended up paying royalties to Nokia." - Sounds logical; how can you confirm this?

to: Anyone with an M8: Please test and upload your vids and post links here!

I found one post here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCM6YZlOiHg

I love this guy's M7 test - seems so genuine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHR69Sve__E

Still confused as to why this is not widely talked about. One would think this is a feature that is a real IPhone killer! It seems just weird that it is so hard to find information on this feature in any reviews - makes me paranoid HTC is trolling to police information getting out??? weird. This is an amazing feature that should be uber-exploited. That is, if it really still exists on the new M8!

markba

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
to: KoukiFC3S: "M7 always kept the HDR mics. HTC ended up paying royalties to Nokia." - Sounds logical; how can you confirm this?

to: Anyone with an M8: Please test and upload your vids and post links here!

I found one post here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCM6YZlOiHg

I love this guy's M7 test - seems so genuine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHR69Sve__E

Still confused as to why this is not widely talked about. One would think this is a feature that is a real IPhone killer! It seems just weird that it is so hard to find information on this feature in any reviews - makes me paranoid HTC is trolling to police information getting out??? weird. This is an amazing feature that should be uber-exploited. That is, if it really still exists on the new M8!

Sure sounds like the M8 could have the dual membrane mics after all! Im waiting to get mine to test next to my m7. It's a huge selling point with all of the concerts my wife and i go to. If the M8 doesnt have them i may need to hold on to the old one after all.

I'm wondering if htc's is legally not allowed to advertise or comment on them for a period of time. It did sound like they were going to be able to build with them in the future from the old docs. Fingers crossed!

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Were you able to test this out? Before I sell my M7 I want to make sure I can still make as good of recordings at concerts and such...

Y2J

Haven't gotten around to testing yet, about to give it a try in my car right now lol

Ok so after giving it a try in the car it sounds petty impressive!

Last edited:

maw888

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi, for my M7 I had to get it replaced and the mic on the replacement is definitely inferior to my original HTC One.
I was at a concert last night and the (not excessive) bass distorted everything. However, my original M7 I was getting really impressive audio capture - one time I was standing right next to the speakers at a venue!

Disappointing as I replaced the original unit because of the purple camera tint (probably got a refurbed unit). I used to get good audio but bad photos, now I get good photos but bad audio! Not disputing what's been discussed before but perhaps they did have a small batch that don't use the HDR mics...

So I hope the M8 has the HDR mic and I'll have to see what T-Mob can do for me while I'm still under warranty...

markba

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow, is that seriously the M8?? As someone who makes part of his living as a recording engineer, I'm massively impressed that a phone did that.

It sure is! I'm impressed with the range, you can still hear the bass line despite having the guitar amp immediately to the right of the phone.

I'd say it's even better than my m7. I haven't had the opportunity to test it at a true concert situation yet though. You can hear an example of that from my m7 at Bonnaroo last year on my YouTube page.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

zimilaci

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

This was a big question for me as well -coming from m7-
So I also asked the german, hungarian and us support ....one said its a dual microphone(not sure about the dual membrane-or is it the same?:))

The other said yes it is..but sorry no technical details...

This weekend I will try out both but so far I would say the m8 is better but the bass is not that deep .and no ois... Although i dont want to run or cycle with it....

My m7 is now belongs (even if its only temporary) to my gf

Well, its official (htc us) HTC USA While there are no dual membranes on the (M8), we are very pleased with the audio quality of the recording function...

Last edited:

rkslive

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I have my m8 now, on Verizon, in grey. I can't compare to the M7, but I can say the Mic and audio recording is amazingly impressive. Even when standing next to a loudspeaker at a concert with enough volume to literally and aggressively vibrate all of me. Hard to believe this tiny Mic is capable of this!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08