Sprint Spark - Very Promising

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Spark speeds here in Kansas City. Just one night but promising technology!

he3abe3y.jpg

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ping was a bit slow on some but still respectable. Plan to test a lot while I am around town this week.

HTC ONE - Nexus 7

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully Sprint can do something with their network. Their past work doesn't show good results so far :(.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
That's the TDD-LTE on the 2600 mhz frequency! Impressive speeds :)

Got my One M8 last night, coming from the original One, and the radio on the M8 is much improved! Today I was pretty much always on LTE where my original One would often switch between 3G and LTE. I'm in Orange County, CA and some areas do have TDD-LTE deployed...I was able to connect while at lunch. Areas where it's not deployed, the 1900 mhz FDD-LTE is filled in pretty well. No complaints here about Sprint's new LTE network!

TD-LTE is live throughout the LA area, and I'm headed there tomorrow, so can't wait to see how fast it is :D

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm praying to the North Carolina gods that I will see such speeds in my lifetime smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I always assumed my EVO LTE radios were awful but wow, I notice such a huge difference with wifi, 3g, and non-Spark LTE.

ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Spark in LA this morning inside a restaurant near The Grove. This is TD-LTE 2600 mhz (Band 41)...

HTC One M8 definitely makes good use of the tri-band Sprint Spark network, and the radios are much improved over the original One :) That alone makes it a worthy upgrade for Sprint users, in my opinion

Screenshot_2014-03-29-10-40-47.jpg

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
That's the TDD-LTE on the 2600 mhz frequency! Impressive speeds :)

Got my One M8 last night, coming from the original One, and the radio on the M8 is much improved! Today I was pretty much always on LTE where my original One would often switch between 3G and LTE. I'm in Orange County, CA and some areas do have TDD-LTE deployed...I was able to connect while at lunch. Areas where it's not deployed, the 1900 mhz FDD-LTE is filled in pretty well. No complaints here about Sprint's new LTE network!

TD-LTE is live throughout the LA area, and I'm headed there tomorrow, so can't wait to see how fast it is :D

I want to switch from my Sprint Note 3 to either this phone or the One Max, but am confused about the different LTE types. You say you switch between 3G and LTE, both TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE. Others say it can only do 3G or Spark and only 3G for voice and texts, with no LTE data while using the phone. Are you saying you can not only choose which LTE band to use, but also can do 3G CDMA at the same time, or am I misunderstanding?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I get those speeds CONSISTENTLY on T-Mobile without waiting 5 years for a national "Spark" rollout.

Not trying to troll here, but Sprint really needs to upgrade their network much, much faster. AT&T and T-Mobile see those speeds without fancy advertising terms on their regular LTE. Verizon, I am not sure. Haven't used them all that much in the last year.

Posted via Android Central App

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I want to switch from my Sprint Note 3 to either this phone or the One Max, but am confused about the different LTE types. You say you switch between 3G and LTE, both TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE. Others say it can only do 3G or Spark and only 3G for voice and texts, with no LTE data while using the phone. Are you saying you can not only choose which LTE band to use, but also can do 3G CDMA at the same time, or am I misunderstanding?

In the most simple terms from how I understand it, the network will determine which LTE band, of the three, you connect to. Not quite sure how this is determined, but from what I've read it's based on the current capacity and signal strength at the time you are connecting. For example, I was switching between the 2600mhz TD-LTE and 1900mhz FDD-LTE while I was around the LA area today. The great thing is, the switch is very fast and seamless, so you won't see any hicccups in data transmission.

Also, it's true that on Sprint's LTE network, phones can't do simultaneous voice and data. When you get a phone call, it switches back to CDMA. Just like the switching of LTE bands, if you get a phone call or make a phone call, and when the call ends, the switch between CDMA and LTE is very fast and seamless. Text messages are sent via LTE, so no need of switching between CDMA and LTE when you send or receive a text.

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I get those speeds CONSISTENTLY on T-Mobile without waiting 5 years for a national "Spark" rollout.

Not trying to troll here, but Sprint really needs to upgrade their network much, much faster. AT&T and T-Mobile see those speeds without fancy advertising terms on their regular LTE. Verizon, I am not sure. Haven't used them all that much in the last year.

Posted via Android Central App

Except that T-Mobile drops down to 2G/Edge outside of cities, at least right now. With those speeds, I think it'd be tough to stream music like I can on Sprint (or AT&T and Verizon) while driving, for example, between LA and Vegas. On top of that, Sprint has lower prices and unlimited data. For me, Sprint works well and is a great value...and I think this thread is good for those who currently have a Sprint single-band phone (such as the original HTC One) to consider the M8 since it's a tri-band phone with a great RF signal.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
In the most simple terms from how I understand it, the network will determine which LTE band, of the three, you connect to. Not quite sure how this is determined, but from what I've read it's based on the current capacity and signal strength at the time you are connecting. For example, I was switching between the 2600mhz TD-LTE and 1900mhz FDD-LTE while I was around the LA area today. The great thing is, the switch is very fast and seamless, so you won't see any hicccups in data transmission.

Also, it's true that on Sprint's LTE network, phones can't do simultaneous voice and data. When you get a phone call, it switches back to CDMA. Just like the switching of LTE bands, if you get a phone call or make a phone call, and when the call ends, the switch between CDMA and LTE is very fast and seamless. Text messages are sent via LTE, so no need of switching between CDMA and LTE when you send or receive a text.

Sorry, I'm still confused. According to the Sprint coverage map for my 75063 zip code, there is full Spark coverage here. Yet when I went to my local Sprint store, my Note 3 had full 4G LTE but their display One Max only showed 3G. I thought the One Max would have had LTE too, but the girl that waited on me said that those maps show future coverage not current, and Spark isn't turned on here yet. She also said that it will only get Spark or 3G and isn't capable of getting 4G LTE. Those both sound fishy to me. Can you explain?

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
The One Max is LTE capable (almost all are now) and also Spark capable. My guess is the radio wasn't turned on if it wasn't showing LTE at all. Those dang brain washed employees pushing Samsung again ;)

ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The One Max is LTE capable (almost all are now) and also Spark capable. My guess is the radio wasn't turned on if it wasn't showing LTE at all. Those dang brain washed employees pushing Samsung again ;)

ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)

Thanks and I hope you're right. I'll make another trip to the store and look at the settings myself, or maybe I can find somebody there that's older than my granddaughter.