HTC One (M8): Quick Charge 2.0

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Moto one. Scheduled arrival October 20th. We'll see if/how it works on the M8.

Posted via the Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

Interesting. That says it will do its magic on any Qualcomm QC 2.0 device, and the Moto one says "on Motorola devices". The Moto one says this for obvious reasons, but I have to wonder, did Moto install something that makes it go Turbo for Moto phones only?

All things being equal, I would prefer the Moto one at the same price. But not if it won't do QC on my M8.

Thoughts?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but I would think Qualcomm would make part of the certification require that a QC 2.0 charger must work on any certified QC 2.0 device/battery.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Any quick-charge 2.0 certified charger works with any capable quick-charge 2.0 device.
Meanwhile, I found this review of an engineering sample of the official HTC ONE M8 quick-charge 2.0 charger

HTC Quick Charge 2.0 Review !: http://youtu.be/xOJvmx93l3M

It doesn't look fake, I hope the official htc is really on the way. What do you guys think?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Any quick-charge 2.0 certified charger works with any capable quick-charge 2.0 device.
Meanwhile, I found this review of an engineering sample of the official HTC ONE M8 quick-charge 2.0 charger

HTC Quick Charge 2.0 Review !: http://youtu.be/xOJvmx93l3M

It doesn't look fake, I hope the official htc is really on the way. What do you guys think?

Anyone care to translate?

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Which one, in particular? I don't really know what is the capacity of the G2 battery. But It's pretty fast if you ask me.

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Which one, in particular? I don't really know what is the capacity of the G2 battery. But It's pretty fast if you ask me.
The one I mentioned earlier in this thread. But, it didn't seem to me it increased in completely linear fashion. I mean it seemed to go from the 2% to, say 17%, quicker than it went from the 17% to the 36%.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
The one I mentioned earlier in this thread. But, it didn't seem to me it increased in completely linear fashion. I mean it seemed to go from the 2% to, say 17%, quicker than it went from the 17% to the 36%.

I still don't understand. Are you using a QuickCharge 2.0 charger, if so which one? Or just a high amperage regular charger? If QC, which one?

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
look at my post this thread, #22. I tell you, and jaggrey in posts #18 and #36, tell you we charge our phones faster with better chargers. But you tell me my usb cable was defective, and don't know anything, and just generally call me a liar. I have a drawer full of cables. You think I didn't try other cables? So just keep slow charging your devices.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Look at it this way, the typical wall outlet in a U.S. house is 110V rated for at least 15A. That's 1,650W of power available, but the charger only uses maybe 11W of power or so by drawing less than 1A from the wall outlet. If what you're claiming is true, then that entire 1,650W should be pushing through, blowing up your charger and phone. Why doesn't it? Because the charger only pulls as much current as it's designed for, just like your phone.

I can't speak for the design of the G2 and what it can handle from a traditional charger. But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, I've compared the M8 on both a stock 1.5A charger and aftermarket 2.0A charger and charging times were pretty much the same. When looking at monitoring apps like Gsam, the current draws were also the same, never topping ~1.3A (you also have to figure some additional overhead to power the phone itself). Since making that post, I've also used a Samsung stock tablet charger rated at 2.1A with the same results. I also compared this with my Droid Bionic long ago when I was still using it and had similar results too. Have you looked at the actual charging current to compare your stock and aftermarket chargers?

There is one other possibility that may be true on the G2, but it's not one I've seen reported on any phone. It could be that while the stock charger is sufficient to charge the phone under most circumstances, they could have designed the phone itself to try pulling more if possible even without using QC2 technology. It wouldn't make much sense from a production standpoint, but maybe that's what's going on.

213strange

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Charged my M8 with the stock charger that came with the Note 4 which is Quick Charge 2.0 and didn't notice a difference. Probably needs to be enabled with an update.

213strange

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Charged my M8 with the stock charger that came with the Note 4 which is Quick Charge 2.0 and didn't notice a difference. Probably needs to be enabled with an update.

213strange

Note 4 rapid charging technology is not Quick Charge 2.0. It's Samsung's own thing I believe. So it would not work on other brands of devices.

I got the charger. Posting a report now in this forum.