Carrier Unlocking

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Most Verizon 4G LTE phone are unlocked to begin with.... but others like T-Mobile and AT&T will usually unlock at your request once they are paid in full (or bought full price).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They have the option to do that, yes. With Verizon specifically though, you probably don't need their help.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
What does carrier unlocked even mean for cdma carriers? Wouldn't it need to be flashed somehow to run on any other network?

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What does carrier unlocked even mean for cdma carriers? Wouldn't it need to be flashed somehow to run on any other network?

Most of the modern LTE devices have the GSM hardware and the software radios and it's just a matter of changing the network settings.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

most newer lte verizon phones are global phones since there is a sim card slot in them anyways. you just won't get LTE on anything but verizon. but will get hspa

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
most newer lte verizon phones are global phones since there is a sim card slot in them anyways. you just won't get LTE on anything but verizon. but will get hspa

It depends on the phone. The Verizon iPhone 5s and 5c are factory sim unlocked and fully support all bands on AT&T and tmobile including 4GLTE.

Most recently released Verizon 4GLTE smartphones have 4GLTE aws capabilities. I personally tested a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on tmobile and was able to get 4glte. I had to set the phone in lte mode and only got lte in that mode.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most Verizon 4G LTE phone are unlocked to begin with.... but others like T-Mobile and AT&T will usually unlock at your request once they are paid in full (or bought full price).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Just to be clear, when buying at full price, the device still has to be paid off in full.

There are ways around this like buying full retail from BestBuy and financing through them for 0% 18 months. By doing so, in the eyes of the carrier, the phone has been paid off.

Att and tmobile also impose other requirements, be sure to review their website for details.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy