HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy Note 3?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) ... or Note 3

They are both innovators. Clearly Samsung entered a new product sub-category with the Note series. And it's been very successful- so now they are not innovating/changing that very much. HTC has in the past pushed the boundaries very hear...remember a vast four years ago...the HTC Droid Eris? The HTC Incredible?...when Samsung was barely on the radar screen. Samsung and AT&T had a bad issue for months with the non-functional GPS and it seems it has only recently been fixed with the KK4.4 update.
HTC has certainly pushed ID beyond what Samsung has done, but the innovation of the camera sensor and the effects resulting from that are sheer gimmickry and they should have made that camera as good as the iphone before messing around with gimmicks.
Bottom line seems to be:
N3: Big screen, removable battery, stylus/writing/drawing
M8: Stereo speakers, beautiful ID, clean non-intrusive skin

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

A smart stylus, multiple apps on one screen, I'm sure the bulk of the features from the s pen weren't done before. None of the features you talk about for the one are groundbreaking or really innovative,two camera lenses but it only allows you to change the focus, and a front facing speaker grill on a cell phone? Not really groundbreaking things that drastically affect a users experience.

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

I'll agree with you on the s pen features, those haven't been done before. But multiple apps on the same screen? To me those would detract from the user experience, making the apps even smaller to use and navigate on a small screen definitely don't drastically affect user experience.

With that said I would agree the two lenses might not totally change your experience but BoomSound? Definitely changes multimedia experiences. Watching a movie or video totally immerse you in them. To me, that is truly innovative

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I'll agree with you on the s pen features, those haven't been done before. But multiple apps on the same screen? To me those would detract from the user experience, making the apps even smaller to use and navigate on a small screen definitely don't drastically affect user experience.

With that said I would agree the two lenses might not totally change your experience but BoomSound? Definitely changes multimedia experiences. Watching a movie or video totally immerse you in them. To me, that is truly innovative

Let's be serious here, who actually watches movies on their phone? Lol.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Also I will add that adding features to an already existing technology (smart stylus) isn't nearly as innovative.

HTC added another lens to the One to solely capture depth information and has never been attempted on any device, full cameras or otherwise. As gimmicky as you think it is, it truly is new technology.

Also stereo front facing speakers that are very loud and very rich hasn't been done before either, making them an innovative solution to the way we experience multimedia on a phone. Not even tablets, which are much larger and able to accommodate larger speakers have anything close to the BoomSound speakers of the One.

Edit: I just remembered the Tegra Note 7 has stereo front facing speakers, (where do you think they got that idea?) but I can't comment on how they compare to the BoomSound speakers because I don't own the Note 7

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

BoomSound speakers make it a much more enjoyable and viable option on a phone. I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day and it was a great experience.

Just because you or other people don't, doesn't take away from the technology or innovation.

Also speakers aren't just for movies, music is affected also. My girlfriend has a Bose Soundlink mini (which sound amazing) and 9 times out ten she uses her m8.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
BoomSound speakers make it a much more enjoyable and viable option on a phone. I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day and it was a great experience.

Just because you or other people don't, doesn't take away from the technology or innovation.

Also speakers aren't just for movies, music is affected also. My girlfriend has a Bose Soundlink mini (which sound amazing) and 9 times out ten she uses her m8.

I'm not saying that it doesn't take away from the technology, but if it's not something that really has a big use, then I can't say it's really a big innovation.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

You crushed my heart with this statement! :'( I watch movies on my phone BUT I use headphones for a better, submersive audio experience while I'm out and about. Besides, the speaker(s) on any device are null and void in a crowded environment such as a bus or train. Lately, I haven't been able to watch movies on my commute to and from work because I either....

1. Fall asleep
2. I think I may have motion sickness. Very bad with strong, sharp headaches.
3. Failing eye sight....may need bigger screen....Note 4 anyone?!

Blackthanos

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

This is a very dangerous why of thinking when talking about technology uses that center around what others do. People have a bad tendency to think that they are relatively smart and reasonable so to that end wouldn't every other rational thinking person see a situation the same way I do. The answer of course is NO! LOL. Here is an example, "to me" printing pictures from a cellphone is something I see no purpose in nor would I ever do.(excluding of course that million dollar crystal clear shot of the loch ness monster or bigfoot.) I have 3 very good full frame DSLR's for something like that. Do I just assume that no one else would ever do it, of course not. You have only to look in this very forum to see how many people apparently do just that. It's always good to try to have an open mind and not just assume your way is the only way. I mean that as in everyone, myself included and not just the poster quoted by the way.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying that it doesn't take away from the technology, but if it's not something that really has a big use, then I can't say it's really a big innovation.

One of the biggest uses of smartphones today is multimedia. That includes games, music, videos (youtube) and yes even movies. The BoomSound speakers will enhance each and every one of those.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I saw the M8 at AT&T today. I was tempted to pick one up. But decided not to. It is really a beautiful piece of hardware.

Sent from my iPad Air (with a keyboard)

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I saw the M8 at AT&T today. I was tempted to pick one up. But decided not to. It is really a beautiful piece of hardware.

They have them at AT&T? There was supposed to be a retail exclusivity for Verizon until April 10th? So much for that lol

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess not. Saw them there today. I thought that the S5 wasn't coming out until later too. But they had that one available.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think that I would see a device that looked better than the iPhone 5S, but the M8 does. It is gorgeous in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
According to this article 53% of smartphone use is games and entertainment. I'd say that's a pretty big use case to add better speakers on a phone

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-people-really-use-their-smartphones-2013-4

It's also used for texting so you can make a argument that it increases the quality of the sound your keyboard makes, lol.

I'm just saying that the increase in quality of the silly little noises these games make and the 5 people that use their phone to watch movies really aren't good enough for me to consider the dual speakers an innovation. Just my opinion

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sold my Note 3 last night. Trying to decide between this and importing a Z2 over.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You didn't like the Note 3?

No, quite the contrary.
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I go through a lot of phones (especially the last year or so). The M7 was the one phone I owned the longest last year, and it was my favorite.

The Note 3 is a great phone. The battery and screen are awesome, but the build leaves a lot to be desired for me. Plus, I kinda miss having a somewhat manageable phone for single handed use.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It's also used for texting so you can make a argument that it increases the quality of the sound your keyboard makes, lol.

I'm just saying that the increase in quality of the silly little noises these games make and the 5 people that use their phone to watch movies really aren't good enough for me to consider the dual speakers an innovation. Just my opinion

The definition of innovation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovation

Whether you think they are or not, the dual front facing speakers haven't been done before and definitely meet the needs of the smartphone market

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20