HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy Note 3?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had my eye on the Note 3 for a while. I like the 5.7" screen, and the stylus/drawing apps would be useful in my professional life (architectural designer ). But I'm tired of Sammy's lame and tired p cheap plasic housings (on a $700 device, that's almost unacceptable to me)..and the tired old TouchWiz doesn't do much for me.

The build quality on the M8 is very impressive and now that it sports a micro SD, it's a very attractive option. I also REALLY like having forward -facing stereo speakers. But I'd have to accept the mediocre camera and useless dual lens and Zoe gimmicks and of course wouldn't get the stylus.
or a removable battery.

So, I'm stuck on the fence. Anyone in a similar position or have advice based on experience with both?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: M8...or Note 3

I've had my eye on the Note 3 for a while. I like the 5.7" screen, and the stylus/drawing apps would be useful in my professional life (architectural designer ). But I'm tired of Sammy's lame and tired p cheap plasic housings (on a $700 device, that's almost unacceptable to me)..and the tired old TouchWiz doesn't do much for me.

The build quality on the M8 is very impressive and now that it sports a micro SD, it's a very attractive option. I also REALLY like having forward -facing stereo speakers. But I'd have to accept the mediocre camera and useless dual lens and Zoe gimmicks and of course wouldn't get the stylus.
or a removable battery.

So, I'm stuck on the fence. Anyone in a similar position or have advice based on experience with both?
Thanks.

The camera is way above mediocre, I suggest you give it a try instead of just believing everything you read on the internet. The duo camera is far from useless and zoes are actually really cool, one of my favorite features. Don't be mislead by the fact that it's a 4mp camera...

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Why not wait a few months and get a note 4? Getting either if the above mentioned devices now will leave you with buyers remorse by September ,lol

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

likebutta

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Why not wait a few months and get a note 4? Getting either if the above mentioned devices now will leave you with buyers remorse by September ,lol

By that token, buying in September will leave him with buyers remorse in February. You can wait forever for the best thing but it will be outdone in a short amount of time; that's technology.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

By that token, buying in September will leave him with buyers remorse in February. You can wait forever for the best thing but it will be outdone in a short amount of time; that's technology.

Not necessarily, what phone typically launches in February?

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I have the Note 3 and the M8. I think they are both great phones, but each has its own set of shortcomings ( as outlined in your opening post). In the end you need to decide if build quality, awesome speakers, and better OEM OS ( this is subjective I just think Sense 6.0 is way better than Touchwiz) are more important than the S-Pen and a bigger screen. Both are so fast you can barely notice any difference. I am planning to use my Note 3 as my work phone because it is much better with doing anything with PDFs (especially annotating), but reading PDFs is still easy and pleasurable on the M8 since the on-screen buttons go away when reading the PDF in Moon Reader. The camera is better on the Note 3, but I don't use my smartphone for any important pictures anyway. Personally (again this is subjective) I think the M8 has a decent enough camera for what most people use their smartphone camera for.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I really like what I have seen and read of the M8, but the Note 3 (I owned for a while) is a great device and it offers an experience that no other smartphone has been able to reproduce. There seems to be a lot of discontent about the build materials of Samsung devices, but I can say from experience that I have never had any problems with the build quality of any Samsung device I have owned. Actually, I have had issues in the past with HTC phones (dust under the screen, screen lift, failing charging ports, dead pixels, etc.). I would suggest to you and anyone else who has reservations about buying Samsung devices to forget about the build materials, they will hold up fine. Just enjoy the screen, that's where they excel beyond everyone else in my opinion.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) ... or Note 3

My friend has the note 3 beautiful phone but an unusable speaker for nav n music and speakerphone....

Posted via Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

But here are two great phone, each of which are not perfect. I'm willing to bet that samsung puts another crappy plastic housing on the Note 4 which will also be a great phone but less than perfect. Ultimately there's always something that's going to be better down the road.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

But here are two great phone, each of which are not perfect. I'm willing to bet that samsung puts another crappy plastic housing on the Note 4 which will also be a great phone but less than perfect. Ultimately there's always something that's going to be better down the road.

You can get a metal case for $50 so I don't see how the build quality would be an issue, and their software should be killer on the note 4.

There will always be something better down the road, but if you get the note 4 before the end of the year you will be in a good position cause the next note wouldn't be out until another year. Whereas if you get the note 3 now, you are going to hear rumors of the note four and wonder if you jumped too early

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I really like what I have seen and read of the M8, but the Note 3 (I owned for a while) is a great device and it offers an experience that no other smartphone has been able to reproduce. There seems to be a lot of discontent about the build materials of Samsung devices, but I can say from experience that I have never had any problems with the build quality of any Samsung device I have owned. Actually, I have had issues in the past with HTC phones (dust under the screen, screen lift, failing charging ports, dead pixels, etc.). I would suggest to you and anyone else who has reservations about buying Samsung devices to forget about the build materials, they will hold up fine. Just enjoy the screen, t

hat's where they excel beyond everyone else in my opinion.

I know that they are built to be durable; I've had an old Samsung device working daily for the last four years. It's just that it seems that a $700 device should have better ID. Samsung continues to show very mediocre design sensibility in terms of industrial design. Not a functionality thing, just aesthetics and feel. Apple has done a great job regarding this since the beginning and although I wouldn't use an iphonr if it were given to me, I do otherwise respect their sophisticated design sense.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I know that they are built to be durable; I've had an old Samsung device working daily for the last four years. It's just that it seems that a $700 device should have better ID. Samsung continues to show very mediocre design sensibility in terms of industrial design. Not a functionality thing, just aesthetics and feel. Apple has done a great job regarding this since the beginning and although I wouldn't use an iphonr if it were given to me, I do otherwise respect their sophisticated design sense.

The aesthetics and feel of devices are subjective. I do love the design of the iPhone, but I also love the design of the Galaxy devices as well. But it would be hard to say that on the whole, Apple has a far better design and Samsung is mediocre. A lot of the design cues mirror each other. The only real difference I see is in the size and the build materials. I see the advantages of both the aluminum and plastic materials.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Not necessarily, what phone typically launches in February?

I think what he meant was that whenever you purchase a device, phones especially, you run the risk of buyer remorse when the "Next Big Thing" starts to be rumored or announced. Its a never-ending battle with technology. I personally would say if you want the Note 3 now, go and get it! Or play the waiting game, and be annoyed by waiting lol.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I think what he meant was that whenever you purchase a device, phones especially, you run the risk of buyer remorse when the "Next Big Thing" starts to be rumored or announced. Its a never-ending battle with technology. I personally would say if you want the Note 3 now, go and get it! Or play the waiting game, and be annoyed by waiting lol.

I understand that, however when we look at the usual product schedules, now doesn't make the best time to get the note 3, it makes more sense to wait a few more months IMO . That's what I've been doing, I had my upgrade since February 1st, and will wait till the fall to get a new phone cause I know getting one now doesn't make sense for me when I know I will regret it .

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

It is probably more prudent to get a device that has been on the market for a while anyway. The hardware and software issues should be addressed by now and there are a ton of accessories available.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

It is probably more prudent to get a device that has been on the market for a while anyway. The hardware and software issues should be addressed by now and there are a ton of accessories available.

There's no guarantee of that, updates can fix and break things at the same time. For instance the note 3 kit kat update messed up my friends phone and caused text messaging errors to occur.

It may be an isolated issue but updates can break known bugs and create new ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34